Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gadd11 - any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by jollyboy View Post
    Hi,

Thanks everyone. To add some context the song is Who Knows Where The Time Goes by Sandy Denny. Here is the relevant section:

I have transcribed the song into the key of C, so maybe that is indeed the issue. Anyway, it seems to work better if I just ignore the Gadd11.

If you don't know the song.
    A song well worth spending the time to get it right!!

What we appear to have going here is "a bit of a drone thing" (for want of a better term) where, from the "C C4 C" sequence we retain the C note in the Gadd11 then keep the C and the G going in the Fadd9 ... as I suspected, if you wanted to replicate this on the ukulele you'd possibly need to play it using the same shapes as might be used on a guitar, which would give you a totally different key (obviously) unless you used a baritone (same as the top four strings on a guitar).

afterthought:
    The above all assumes the guitar is being played at or around the first position ... if they're using "fancy" shapes halfway up the neck on an unconventionally tuned guitar, all bets are off!!
    You've also got to remember that the extract you're working from may actually be an edited version of a full piece of sheet music, where the "technical" chord names are included even though the guitar may actually only play one or two notes of that chord at that point. I'm inclined to agree with the other posters ... if it sounds right, it probably is right, it's not as if you're trying to emulate Sandy !!

That link you provided for the recording sounds like a guitar in DADGAD or some similar "open" tuning, so the transcribed music may not be easily playable on a conventionally tuned instrument anyway !! Having said that, Richard Thompson seems to do a pretty good job on what appears to be a conventionally tuned instrument here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLvbZGjasPw ... you might be able to pick up (pun intended) some clues from his playing

Good luck
    Last edited by kypfer; 11-30-2016 at 12:49 PM. Reason: afterthought
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

@kypfer

Thanks for all the thoughts

Yeah, the whole song seems to have "a bit of a drone thing" going on - i.e. switching back and forth between similar sounding chords that share a common note. I'm gonna go with the general consensus and play what sounds right to me. Where the sheet shows C-C4-C-Gadd11-Fadd9 I'm going with the simpler (and more drone-y) C-Fadd9-C-Fadd9.

Sandy's guitar tuning - possibly open D? I believe she was an open tuning fan.

The RT clip is cool. According to this blogger, he does use a non-standard tuning.

If anyone is interested this is my revised version:

Most importantly this sounds both good and a close approximation to the original song, to my ear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    Maybe the 0075 0058 part goes well to punctuate the lyric?
    I couldn't make it fit in any way that sounded okay to me. I like the simpler progression - the changes are uniformly spaced apart and there is a repeated emphasis on the "the" of "where the time goes".

Default How far did you get

Hi Jollyboy
    I wonder how far you got with this beautiful song .... I cant seem to find a version I like anywhere

Any chance you'd be prepared to share the work you've done?

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by jollyboy View Post
    Hi,

Thanks everyone. To add some context the song is Who Knows Where The Time Goes by Sandy Denny. Here is the relevant section:

I have transcribed the song into the key of C, so maybe that is indeed the issue. Anyway, it seems to work better if I just ignore the Gadd11.

If you don't know the song.

Ooh I'll throw in 0035 for Gadd11, switching the C and D
    Youtube
    Mililani, Hawai'i // Irvine, California
    UC Irvine c/o 2018
    Yes, of course you should watch Shigatsu

Thread Information