5-String neck dimensions

finkdaddy

Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

I am drawing up some plans to make a 5-string, tenor uke, but I'm wondering about if that would change some of the neck dimensions.

Can someone who owns a 5-string tenor, tell me what the width of the neck is at the nut and 12th fret? Also, can you measure how far apart the two G-strings are at the same two points?

That would be so very helpful!

Thank you!

One of the issues is that even amongst 4 string ukuleles, there is NO standard width at the nut. I have 4 string ukuleles that are 33mm, 35mm or 36 mm across the nut. I have 8 string ukuleles that are 37mm or 39mm across the nut and many builders here use 38mm across the nut for 8 string ukuleles.

For 5 strings 36mm is plenty wide enough and even if you normaly build a neck 35mm wide at the nut then this will be fine as well.

Anthony

I'm no expert but another thing to consider is the extra tension on the neck when built. Maybe there has to be some alteration to the top bracing and/or neck reinforcement. Don't know, maybe the experts will chip in.
And as for neck dimensions, as there are no rules, you can work it out from your preferred string spacing at both the nut and saddle, and add an additional space.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll work out what I think will work for me and let you all know how it works out.

Thank you very much!

The sometimes standard 1 3/8" (35mm) nut width is plenty wide enough for 5 strings. If that's what you use then stick to it. My 8 string ukuleles have the paired strings 2.5mm apart (centre to centre) at the nut and 3.5mm apart C to C at the bridge.

Anthony

Top Bottom