Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is Going on Here? What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    the titebond just wicked and followed all that moisture into the wood. That is my current theory anyway since I've never had Titebond weep into surrounding wood like that...
    I think not.

Titebond doesn't wick like that through cell walls (ie grain lines)- it's just the center of the spruce naturally discoloured a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Hannam Ukuleles View Post
    I think not.

Titebond doesn't wick like that through cell walls (ie grain lines)- it's just the center of the spruce naturally discoloured a bit.
    OK. So I did some quick experiments today taking different small spruce cutoff pieces from completely different vendors and gluing them together under the same conditions (as in raining)/ Same glue. Result: None of the other spuces showed the discoloration line. So it is the wood and not the glue and not the humidity and not the joint. It is just super spongy stuff that absorbs and discolors between the grain lines. Too bad because the stuff looks great and would have sounded great. Oh well. Not gonna buy that stuff again. A pity. Onward! Into the fog!

I tend to think Alen's explanation was more likely than not. Can't you just run the tablesaw down the joint and redo.
    Michael Smith
    Goat Rock Ukulele
    www.goatrockukulele.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    I tend to think Alen's explanation was more likely than not. Can't you just run the tablesaw down the joint and redo.
    Sure absolutely I could, but the same thing is going to happen again sure as shootin. Somebody once said that insanity is repeating over and over again the same thing and hoping for a different result. The problem here is the wood. Wood gonna wanna do what wood wanna do. The interesting thing is that this probably is the most perfect, most beautiful piece of spruce I have ever seen. Grain lines: absolutely perfect and parallel. Color: Perfect white cream. The problem is I think this is a piece of wood that looks incredible but that just doesn't function as a piece of wood that is going to make a good soundboard. No real loss. Spruce is cheap. Yeah but it would have looked great. As they say... Next!

Your buyers must be more picky than me. That wouldn't bother me one bit, as long as the ukulele sounded good.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Hannam Ukuleles View Post
    I think not.

i would agree! Sets out of the same billet the grain will change through out the board
    Perry Bullinger
    Covered Bridge Ukuleles

Thread Information