Are you a player who sings or a singer who plays?

Are you a player who sings or a singer who plays?

• I'm primarily a player who sings

Votes: 27 32.1%
  • I'm primarily a singer who plays

Votes: 32 38.1%
  • Neither. I don't sing, I just play.

Votes: 25 29.8%

• Total voters
I picked "singer who plays," mostly based on my own opinion that I'm a much better singer than I am a player--BUT I'm very interested in playing instrumentals too, and I try to move way beyond merely strumming chords (and I have gotten a lot better at it). So I'm a player and a singer, but not necessarily at the same time...

Everyone is so so much happier when I don't sing!

I am not a great singer but I learned some songs out of necessity. When I am with a group of people I usually start playing something like "Five Ft. Two". Everyone joins in for the first few lines then stops. In order to keep going I had to learn the words. You don't have to be a great singer, the key is to find what key sounds best for you. I go to a site like Chordie and find the song. They have a transpose button so I usually try a few different keys to see what fits my range best. Give it a try.

Neither. I do not sing. Unless well plied with alcohol ;)

When I learned to play the uke, it was in the 6th grade, and Ms Wong taught us to both
play and sing... pretty much at the same time! So I'm 'both', I guess.

I generally don't sing without playing the uke, and since I mostly strum (vs picking out melodies),
it's no fun simply strumming without accompanying it with lyrics! :)

I sometimes 'simply strum' but I'm humming or singing in my head :)

For me both strumming and singing go together.

keep uke'in',

I picked "singer who plays," mostly based on my own opinion that I'm a much better singer than I am a player--BUT I'm very interested in playing instrumentals too, and I try to move way beyond merely strumming chords (and I have gotten a lot better at it). So I'm a player and a singer, but not necessarily at the same time...

Yup, that'd be me. I've not been singing for such a while but this will bring my voice back to the front and since I sing better than I play, at this point, but hope to change that soon. Time will tell but I've noticed that as my chord repertoire improves, I can sing more and let my hands do what they're supposed to do in my playing.

Karen Carpenter sang about the idea that it doesn't matter how well you sing, just sing it!

Definitely a singer who plays. I took up playing guitar nearly 50 years ago because I was tired of trying to find players to accompany me. In the end I accompanied myself and have done for all those years. Then about 6 years ago I discovered the Ukulele which to me is the ideal singer's instrument and the guitars barely get a look in now. I like being able to play without a pick. As well as being able to switch from finger style to strumming in the middle of a song and the endless variety of strums and strumming techniques you can use on a Ukulele.

Top Bottom