Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First one finished!

Default First one finished!

Built in the Palomar College Ukulele Building Class over the last 4 months.
    1 Class per week made for a long build, but I'm pleased with the first attempt. Mistakes are something you use for "Design Opportunities" according to the Class Instructor.
    Using that theory, I had quite a few opportunities.
    Spruce top/ Maple back & sides/Acacia bindings,Headstock veneer and Tail wedge/Mahogany neck/Rosewood fretboard & Bridge.
    Pore sealed with Seal Lac and finished with Royal-Lac Super Blonde Shellac-wet sanded to 12.000 Micro Mesh.
    I dont like "ears" on Ukuleles so I chose Grover friction tuners. I think they go well with the vintage Gibson Tenor headstock design I 'borrowed"
    Headstock inlay was laser cut , then filled with colored epoxy
    The build Thread is here:
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...n-Diego-County

fin7.jpgfin6.jpgfin5.jpgfin4.jpgfin3.jpg
    Last edited by pahu; 12-13-2016 at 05:28 AM.
    Every time someone comes up with a foolproof solution, along comes a more-talented fool.

More pics
    fin2.jpgfin1.jpg
    Every time someone comes up with a foolproof solution, along comes a more-talented fool.

Congratulations on successfully completing your first build. I really enjoyed your build thread, the instrument is beautiful and you should be very proud.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Great work Pahu!
    "A yawn is a desperate, silent scream for coffee."

Timms Style 0 Solid Mahogany Soprano, KoAloha KCM-00 Solid Koa Concert, CML Electric Concert Ukulele, Korala PUC-20-BK Solid Plastic Concert , CML Solid Western Red Cedar/Spalted Curly Maple Tenor

That is sooo good Pahu, congrats.
    Trent

Congratulations Pahu. How does it play/sound?

The Royal-Lac finish looks great and really shows off the Maple well. Was it difficult to do?

Thanks to all. This Forum and your willingness to share your experiences was great encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gleibitz View Post
    Congratulations Pahu. How does it play/sound?

The Royal-Lac finish looks great and really shows off the Maple well. Was it difficult to do?
    Dan, I only strung it yesterday and strings are still stretching, but so far I really like the Spruce/Maple combination.
    The Royal Lac is just a fancified Shellac, and application is pretty much the same. I like that it's local to me here in San Diego, and the Owner of the Company
    is very responsive to inquiries. He emailed me back the same day when I had a question. He also imports the Shellac flakes if you want to mix it yourself.
    https://www.shellacfinishes.com/prod...ory/royal-lac/
    You do need to let it dry longer than traditional shellac before handling and sanding.

It also comes in various natural tints- I wanted as clear as possible("Super Blonde" is not as yellow as other Pre-mixed shellac in a can)
    A well-respected Guitar maker did a video on the application:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ofOgw-Bno
    They also have a new product that is a 2-part catalyzed finish that cures very hard in a few days.
    Last edited by pahu; 12-13-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Sound sample?

COngrats- now repeat

Thread Information