Request for information

Hey do any of you guys have plans for a slotted headstock jig?

Just kidding. Merry Chrismas friends!
Kidding or not, you're welcome to use/copy/modify/sell/ignore the attached jig plan that I've been working on for a bit now. It's a self-clamping unit, with indexing screws and self-centering drill guides for the tuner posts.

View attachment SlottedHeadstockTemplate_3mm.pdf
View attachment SlottedHeadstockTemplate_5mm.pdf

Probably not as elegant as Pete Howlett's solution (if you want that you'll need to "do a proper search for it" per his post #1), and I can't guarantee it works at all because I haven't tried it.

Instructions:
* If you don't have a laser cutter handy, find a friend who does and get them to cut the purple-ish lines, engrave the cyan.
* Glue the 5mm parts between the 3mm parts.
* Buy 4 x ~40mm M5 bolts (inset hex-head type, whatever they're called), 4 x M5 wing nuts, 12 x M5 hex nuts, 8x ~25mm M5 bolts.
* Assemble at will!

Last edited:
I feel one of the most important things in designing a slotted headstock is to make the ramps such that the strings don't touch. If they do, it's a deal killer for me. just something to keep in mind.

How wonderful that in a short space of time this thread has gone from somewhat negative to 100% positive. This is what keeps me coming back day after day. Kudos to all. :)

How wonderful that in a short space of time this thread has gone from somewhat negative to 100% positive. This is what keeps me coming back day after day. Kudos to all. :)

I tried my best. We have opportunities every day to change negative situations into positive ones if we choose. I'm not really sure this thread intended to be negative. Just different perceptions of different people's reality. As I mentioned before, Pete's given a lot to the ukulele community in the past. 'Nuf said. ;)

Kidding or not, you're welcome to use/copy/modify/sell/ignore the attached jig plan that I've been working on for a bit now. It's a self-clamping unit, with indexing screws and self-centering drill guides for the tuner posts.

View attachment 96351
View attachment 96352

Probably not as elegant as Pete Howlett's solution (if you want that you'll need to "do a proper search for it" per his post #1), and I can't guarantee it works at all because I haven't tried it.

Instructions:
* If you don't have a laser cutter handy, find a friend who does and get them to cut the purple-ish lines, engrave the cyan.
* Glue the 5mm parts between the 3mm parts.
* Buy 4 x ~40mm M5 bolts (inset hex-head type, whatever they're called), 4 x M5 wing nuts, 12 x M5 hex nuts, 8x ~25mm M5 bolts.
* Assemble at will!

Wow Dan, thanks a lot. I am going to save these plans for later. I just finished my fourth Uke(definitely my best). So, I am still very much a beginner, but someday I would love to do a slotted headstock. I am very grateful to you folks.

Trevor

Yeah, I love slotted headstocks but haven't tried one yet either. Don't save the plans - I've already found mistakes. When I get a physical prototype made I'll fix the plans and post them with instructions in the Jigs thread somebody started a few weeks ago. If it works, that is!

ALoha Chuck, curios on whats the pros and cons of the strings not touching the ramp?
mahalos
I feel one of the most important things in designing a slotted headstock is to make the ramps such that the strings don't touch. If they do, it's a deal killer for me. just something to keep in mind.

Michael,

Double bass volume is really not that difficult with a 3D CAD File (this is a 3/4) one would also need a Uke 3D file.... should be simple enough to figure how many will fit.......... HA! HA! Couldn't resist.... we actually made these for awhile

kw
2016-12-16_19-22-42.jps.jpgD Bass Body.jpgD Bass Neck.jpgDSCN0974A.jpg

Last edited:
I joined this late but read the whole thing through. Chuck Moore, I have even more respect for you than I did originally (and that was a LOT)!

As someone who lives with a luthier (and who has been a teacher and mentor for more than 2 decades) I have properly enjoyed all of the views on this thread.

Just a random appreciative post from me.
:)
-maryagnes

Top Bottom