Edge Vise

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
I saw some pictures a little bit ago of a home made edge vise, and decided that it was time I built one.....especially after looking at the price of some commercial models. And this one is sized for ukuleles in mind.

Built from some bits and pieces I had lying about. The template I cut on the laser, and had thought about screwing in place, but it turned out to be a press fit, and doesn't really need anything more. At least for the time being.

Took a little bit to work out the size of the offsets to make the end graft fit with and without purflings. The curves in my design make this a lot more difficult than just straight tapers. Last image is just a dry fit to test everything out in a bit of scrap.

Edge Vise.jpgEdge Vise-2.jpgEdge Vise-3.jpgEdge Vise-4.jpg

Nice jig Allen. I do the same kind of curved engraft. I just score the lines deeply with n Exacto and rout it out by hand close to the line and then make a a few cuts with a sharp chisel.. Pretty easy, but I bet your jig works great. I've thought of making a jig like yours, but I often change the engraft shape and use different widths of wood purling or pearl sometimes. Guess your jig could have interchangeable patterns easily enough.

Attachments

• DSC_5449.jpg
    DSC_5449.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 43
Nice jig Allen. I do the same kind of curved engraft. I just score the lines deeply with n Exacto and rout it out by hand close to the line and then make a a few cuts with a sharp chisel.. Pretty easy, but I bet your jig works great. I've thought of making a jig like yours, but I often change the engraft shape and use different widths of wood purling or pearl sometimes. Guess your jig could have interchangeable patterns easily enough.

Up to now I've done them the same, but with lasers, mills and CNC in the workshop I thought it was time to put some of the gear to use.

I think now that I've worked out the offsets, making something different will be a much easier task.

That's a really nice jig Allen. I better get busy as we close escrow on our machine shop in two weeks. I don't have 3 phase so I can't bring anything home, no room anyways. I was trying to keep my laser engraver but they want that too :(

Top Bottom