Hello From Turku

barnabefi

Reaction score
hello,

I join the forum because my girlfriend wants her first ukulele I and need to get advise.

I play mostly guitar and piano and I am looking forward to ukulele :)

Benvinguts (as we'd say to welcome you in Catalonia). There is at least one other Finnish resident here.
try getting in touch with Wee Ginga Yin

Bon Nadal to you and your family!

Welcome to UU

My friend, Anneli, teaches at the University! I don't think she plays ukulele

Cheers
Chief

Welcome to the UU community, good you joined us! It's definitely the best place for getting information and advice concerning everything related to the ukulele!

For your girlfriend, I think pretty much everything you'd pay attention to when buying a guitar also applies to buying a ukulele: you ideally want a solid top (laminated back/sides are fine) and a good set up. Action of shelf-instruments is frequently too high and/or the nut/saddle need some work (notes being sharp in the 12th fret). If possible, I'd buy an instrument from a place that includes free setups. Not many do, but it's worth buying from them. Strings matter, maybe more so than with guitars. Inexpensive ukes tend to come with seriously crappy strings.

Anyway, great place here to ask questions and stuff - hope you'll make use of the hive brain. :)

Top Bottom