NUD: Pono ATD-CR Cedar-Acacia Tenor

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Not really new since I got it from HMS just before Christmas, but this is the first chance I've had to snap a few photos and write about it.

I was looking for a new Tenor that I could keep in High "G" tuning, since my Kala is currently set up with Low "G". HMS was running some Black Friday sales right after Thanksgiving and this one popped up with a nice discount. I used to have a guitar with a cedar top and I really liked the sound of it, so I decided that my next instrument would have a cedar soundboard.

I was not disappointed. This is a really good-sounding instrument, it's lovely, the construction and attention to detail is impeccable, and the setup is perfect (as expected from HMS). My only complaint was the strings...it shipped with a wound (not flat-wound) "C" string and I really hated the sound. The "C" was boomy, loud, and clashed terribly with the other strings. Plus it squeaked and squealed every time I moved my finger on it. :( I gave it a couple of days to see if my opinion changed, but I finally gave up, ripped off the factory strings, and replaced them with an "Aaron C Signature Set" (plain) that I had ordered from HMS at the same time. It's much better now, but I'm still not sure if this is the perfect set for this instrument. The set uses strings from different manufacturers, and although they sound fine, the different feels and diameters are a little weird. I'll stick with this for a while, but I expect my next set will be Worth Browns, that I've had excellent luck with on my other Tenor.

Anyway, I'm really happy with this ukulele and here's some photos!

IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3732.jpg

Congratulations Larry, that is one beautiful Pono, nice looking grain on the back. Pono make great instruments, I am taking one of my tenors with me to a friends cottage for New Years eve.

Worth Clear or Browns and Oasis brights or warms seem to all work really well on Pono tenors.

Beautiful uke, nice photos too! Like I always say, Pono Tenors are magic! :cool:

Congratulations Larry, awesome uke. Probably the best value out there. I too would suggest Worth, Oasis, or Southcoast strings.

Congrats on the addition to your family :)

I have very similar model with a few blingy upgrades. It is one of the first ukuleles I have played, that I liked better in high G. I have PhD strings on mine, which seem to have the perfect tension and a nice tone for my taste. But I could definitely see Worth Browns being a good fit too.

Enjoy getting to know it . . .

I have the Pono Tenor listed below (I can't remember the alphabet soup...call me irresponsible), and I didn't care for the Ko'olau strings that were on it as well. I was not a fan of the wound C, and the G was yellow, if memory serves. I quickly changed to Martin 620s and haven't regretted it.

I have the Cedar/Rosewood model, and there is NOTHING to complain about. There are better ukuleles--but this one stands up to just about anything near or above its price range. I still thank Dixie Ukuleles for making that possible.

It is a lovely instrument and is likely to be my last instrument for a while...really, the Pono, Opio, and Outdoor Ukulele cover just about all the bases. Just keep it humidified during these winters months (when it is in its case) and have fun with it.

Great uke! I just picked up a ATDC-C, basically the same model but without the nicer binding on the body. I played quite a few different brands (including different Pono models) and the cedar/acacia really struck a chord with me (sorry!)
I'm also a guitarist and find the radius fretboard a godsend -

Congrats! Having fun experimenting with strings and best wishes for discovering what works for you. Personally, on my re-entrant ukes I generally use all fluorocarbon (Southcoast, Worth Browns and Aquila Red being me three go-to's).

Congrats! I have a cedar top Pono Pro Class that I love. I don't know why they use those strings?!? I hated the uke so bad when I first got it and considered sending it back. Somebody here sent me some new strings and it came to life with a sweet, warm tone. Enjoy it and strum it everyday!

Congrats! I have a cedar top Pono Pro Class that I love. I don't know why they use those strings?!? I hated the uke so bad when I first got it and considered sending it back. Somebody here sent me some new strings and it came to life with a sweet, warm tone. Enjoy it and strum it everyday!

This is such a common sentiment regarding the stock strings many of us had upon receiving our first Pono, it's a wonder they still ship out with them on. I would have sent my first one back if the seller had not convinced me to try any set of strings that I liked on any other uke. It was definitely the worst feeling I have ever had upon receiving a new instrument. I am glad I changed the strings out, as I am now the happy owner of 5 Pono ukes.

Congrats! Looks like a real humdinger!

I changed strings again tonight. Worth Browns are it! A huge change from the original factory strings and the "Aaron C Signature Set" I replaced them with. Beautiful, clear, rich tones, easy playing, no extraneous string noises. At some point, I'll probably give a Southcoast set a try, but for now, I am perfectly happy. Now I can just concentrate on playing! :cool:

I changed strings again tonight. Worth Browns are it! A huge change from the original factory strings and the "Aaron C Signature Set" I replaced them with. Beautiful, clear, rich tones, easy playing, no extraneous string noises. At some point, I'll probably give a Southcoast set a try, but for now, I am perfectly happy. Now I can just concentrate on playing! :cool:

Nice! Enjoy the playing!

Oh, my, that's beautiful. I'm such a sucker for the inlay but this is very nice.

Top Bottom