Black eye peas

Stagehand

Reaction score
Who has them for the new year.

We just had ours.
Black eyed peas with smoked ham hocks in a very thick soup and oven warm cornbread.
Mmmmm.

Black-eyed peas, cabbage, and cornbread. YUMMY! You can't start the new year without them!

Dang. Now I want some more. I'm gonna go warm leftovers. One of my most favorite meals. YUMMY!!

As a side. A few minutes in the pressure cooker, a little salt and pepper. Yum! Tastes buttery without any butter!

For my black eyed peas, I cook them as peas (not in a stew) and when they are ready, I add diced onions and diced dill pickle chips.

Good stuff!

My wife's on a low FODMAP diet, so black-eyed peas and corn bread are out this year. Instead, she made a wonderful variation of colcannon. A lot of Southerners come from a Scots-Irish background, so I thought this was close enough. It was plenty delicious, that's for sure!

I introduced my husand to cabbage for New Years as a tradition handed down from my German heritage mother, who was born and raised in D.C.

He thinks it is weird, but tasty - boiled cabbage and potatoes and pan fried smoked sausage. Mmmmm. That was tonight's New Years Day dinner.

Last edited:
Black Eye Peas and ham hocks, that's a Georgia New Years favorite. But, we're in Florida this year, and went over to a really good fish fry with the mid-westerners.

Are black eye peas and alubias the same ? On the other hand, any other tradicional new year dish?

In Mexico we loooooveeee beans, I guess we get lucky everyday, hehe... Thanks, actually, they look very similar to alubias in size and color, only alubias lick the "eye"

Top Bottom