What are your purchase plans for 2017?

No plans for purchases here. If my husband sees something he wants, we may try for that. If I were to find another Blackbird Clara at a price I could jump on, I'd like one for high G, then I'd be done.

How about what we are trying not to give in to buy? I am trying to curb my UAS and be good, but some new ukes I fancy next are, in no particular order:
a Kinnard tenor, or a Joji tenor, or a J. Rieck tenor, or a Ko'olau tenor or maybe another Beau Hannam tenor, but maybe a macaferri style.

Fun thread Rainer ...

So ... I am pretty happy with the current stable of Ukes, but am finding my vocal range as a Baritone singer is better suited to ... a Baritone ... but played in Tenor charts ... if that makes sense.

I have a RBSH C with Spruce top Baritone for Linear tuning ... but quite enjoy re entrant strumming ... I am looking at re stringing my Long Neck Tenor Kamaka as a re entrant strummer or a Mya-Moe Baritone as I think their bodies are a little smaller.

A Tenor Kinnard Spruce top with Walnut Back and Sides ... gotta have a sound port.

And a possible luthier build for a 18" Tenor which will be low G.

*sits on her hands*

I have no plans to buy a new ukulele (although I mention it on occasion to make my husband squirm).

I might try out some new strings, and may invest in a microphone, however.

My only planned purchase is for a course in finger picking. Pretty darn happy with the ukes I have, but I will likely build a new tenor at some point during the year as well.

I want an Bright Green Outdoor Ukulele in the worst way!!! And I'd like to afford a lesson plan but we'll see. AND a music stand seems like a really good idea to stop my sheet music from falling all over the place,....and...jus' kidding. My "wanter" is cranked all the way up on the high setting!

Last edited:
I want an Bright Green Outdoor Ukulele in the worst way!!! And I'd like to afford a lesson plan but we'll see. AND a music stand seems like a really good idea to stop my sheet music from falling all over the place,....and...jus' kidding. My "wanter" is cranked all the way up on the high setting!

I love my Green Outdoor Uke, because I can toss it in the car during the summer and go :music: in the park without worrying about leaving it in the 140F car while I'm in the library or running errands.

I'm resisting the urge to get a soprano one as well to see if it will fit in my carryon when traveling...

Last edited:
Jay Lichty is building me a very special baritone right now with a 22.25" scale, 16 frets to the body, floating bridge, four soundports (and no soundhole) and all kinds of other crazy stuff. It's almost done and I can't wait. I'm in the queue with LFDM but not until much later in the year which is good since I have no clue what the heck I'm going to get him to build. I'm hoping I can contain it to just those two for this year and will likely give up one or two others to try to keep my uke population at a sane level. I would love to have something smaller for travel but just can't see how it can be smaller than about 19" (I am finding tenor just impossible to play now).

Great thread. I have a Joji tenor coming in the Summer. Also planning on pair of mics and an old guitar.

Great thread. I have a Joji tenor coming in the Summer. Also planning on pair of mics and an old guitar.

Wow, awesome. Please share some photos and thoughts when you can. I loved the look and sound of the Joji custom koa/snakewood tenor that was on HMS recently. Pricey, but nice. Loved the headstock design too.

Have a J. Rieck torrefied spruce/sapele 16" concert coming soon and a Beau Hannam sinker redwood/Amazon Rosewood 19" Selmer that Beau has started on. Beyond these two, I don't have any definite plans. While I always have a short list of "if the right opportunity comes up" desirables, I need to sell more this year than buy.

Just ordered a HORA solid mahogany tenor ukulele from the Hora factory in Romania. Other than that; no plans.

Nice! Please keep us posted on how you like it, as there aren't many reviews on them.

Currently I have no purchase plans, but somewhat eyeing resonator imports. It'll be interesting to see what effect offshore tariffs have on import prices. I know a local builder who undercuts import rates. I should buy his stuff just out of principle.

I purchased an OX 4 string tenor for the holidays, and I now plan to purchase a pickup, gig bag, amp, good cables, a DI box, and maybe some other things

I'm going to stay faithful to my new Cordoba 20CM concert for now but come Nov/Dec I've got my eyes on a Mainland Red Cedar Tenor. Just got to work out the best way to get it to Australia. UAS is an itch that's impossible not to scratch.

No plans for purchases here. If my husband sees something he wants, we may try for that. If I were to find another Blackbird Clara at a price I could jump on, I'd like one for high G, then I'd be done.

Good idea, although I'd add the Blackbird Farralon to the list of possibilities for me. Also a Godin Multiuke if one pops up at a good price. My new year's resolution is to save money for good ukes and not get sucked into the marginal ones.

I go out Jan. 2 every year to buy marked down calendars and came home with an amp and new leads. The amp is a Fender Acoutasonic 90, new at a pawn shop, 1/2 price. It hasDSC00830 (672x800).jpg instrument and mic channels. I wasn't thrilled at first but I'm happy enough now. The big thing for me is the light weight and portability. The calendar is pretty nice too.

Good idea, although I'd add the Blackbird Farralon to the list of possibilities for me. Also a Godin Multiuke if one pops up at a good price. My new year's resolution is to save money for good ukes and not get sucked into the marginal ones.

I'm trying to talk my hubby into the Farralon. I think he would love it. If they ever do a traditional body style in a concert scale, I will have to start plotting a way to get one. The multiukes look so nice. I bet he would also enjoy one of those.

My family and I spent most of last year downsizing. Our goal is to avoid accumulating "stuff" that isn't necessary. In order to be more mobile, have ease of motion, to travel lightly. That said, I still have 3 ukes, so I'm not that much of a minimalist.

One thing we do plan to acquire is a new guitar for my wife. She is primarily a pianist, but we haven't owned a piano in years. She took up guitar a few years back and we played a lot of duets. At the time I was playing a lot of mandolin.

She prefers nylon strings. Her preference would be for a nylon-stringed parlour guitar, but we have not found many of those and the ones we have seen are pricey for us. So we may get her into a 3/4 sized classical.

Top Bottom