Strange patchy finish on my vita

ukeshale

Reaction score
My Ohana vita seems to have two patches of a gloss finish. both on the top of the body. one near the neck just below the A string and the other near the bridge on the opposite side (this 'patch' is actually quite large). Has anyone else had this problem? Is it likely to be a case of the rest of the uke hasn't had the gloss finish or there's gloss finish where there shouldn't be? I don't remember reading that it was coming with such a finish. I'll try and get some pictures up but i don't think it's too hard to visualise. It's noticable to the eye and to touch also. Can anyone shed any light on this?? Is this just bad luck on my behalf? As Ohana seem to have quite a good rep normally. It's not going to affect the wood in the longterm is it?

Vita ukes have a matte finish.

Usually shiny 'patches' are because of either: 1) imperfect finish 2) rubbing. The latter could be from rubbing with your hand or arm which can cause matte finish to go shiny, or someone polishing your uke a bit too hard before shipping. Picks can also cause shiny type lines on the finish.

If you buff matte finish, it'll go shiny, it's the nature of the finish.

Hey, your uke will more than likely accumulate more patina than a few shiny patches and seeing you got yourself a very nice uke (and the sell at a great price), I'd say, just play the h*** out of it and don't worry!

hey! thanks. the areas do correspond with my arm's position during strumming. it's good to know that my hairy arms have played it enough to sand down the finish so smooth in little under 4 months! i realised this should've gone into the uke tech board but my mind's at ease now at least

Human skin oils along with hair and friction can polish up allot of things. ;)

Top Bottom