Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquila carbon black -new strings

Default Aquila carbon black -new strings

Just found these strings on Aquila's website. They are Aquila's answer to flurocarbon strings. The Website does not say they are flurocarbon just Aquila's take on Fluor string. Brighter, fuller, etc. Anybody seen them for sale yet? Or anyone have chance to play them they. They look to be pretty New because this is the first I have seen about the rumoured new flurocarbon strings. I'm definitely going to give some a try.

Didn't Kala recently announce some black strings as well? Hmmm....
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Quote Originally Posted by M3Ukulele View Post
    Just found these strings on Aquila's website. They are Aquila's answer to flurocarbon strings. The Website does not say they are flurocarbon just Aquila's take on Fluor string. Brighter, fuller, etc. Anybody seen them for sale yet? Or anyone have chance to play them they. They look to be pretty New because this is the first I have seen about the rumoured new flurocarbon strings. I'm definitely going to give some a try.
    FTFY: link missing - http://aquilacorde.com/modern-instru...black/?lang=en
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    Didn't Kala recently announce some black strings as well? Hmmm....
    Black package on these? https://kalabrand.com/collections/uk...kulele-strings

Like NO info there, just FLUOROCARBON, might as well tell me it's 'chicken stuffings'

Color? NOPE. Gauges? NOPE. Tension? NOPE.

Makes me friggin' insane when no specs are published, both KALA and Aquila ask for money but with ZERO info other than price. Why do companies have to be SHAMED into giving details about their products?!?!?!?

What if I buy them (buying them blind, so yes, bad on me) and dont like them, do I get a refund? NOPE. and they get to KEEP my money.

It's FRAUD I tell you! DISHONESTY and FRAUD!!!!

/sarcasm (but with an element of truth)/

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    Color? NOPE. Gauges? NOPE. Tension? NOPE.

Makes me friggin' insane when no specs are published,...... Why do companies have to be SHAMED into giving details about their products?!?!?!?

What if I buy them (buying them blind, so yes, bad on me) and dont like them, do I get a refund? NOPE. and they get to KEEP my money.

It's FRAUD I tell you! DISHONESTY and FRAUD!!!!

/sarcasm (but with an element of truth)/
    Don't be in such a hurry - wait for someone else to buy/try them first!
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by uke1950 View Post
    Don't be in such a hurry - wait for someone else to buy/try them first!
    Aye yes, thanks Keith. My post was an attempt at 'mock outrage'.

Well, when Booli gets his free K model, he can afford to buy all the strings (belong to us) and test/measure them all!
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    Well, when Booli gets his free K model, he can afford to buy all the strings (belong to us) and test/measure them all!
    LOL - Maybe I should setup a gofundme page and beg for donations?

Hmm..........Just how many different sets of strings are there........
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by uke1950 View Post
    Hmm..........Just how many different sets of strings are there........
    There are about a dozen different mainstream string-making/string-packaging companies worldwide, and each might offer strings made from all kinds of different material (polymer, differential or homogenous) compositions:

For example -
    1. nylon
    2. recified nylon
    3. bionylon
    4. nylgut
    5. nylgut blends
    6. actual old-school cattle intestine (cat-gut)
    7. fluorocarbon
    8. fluorocarbon blends
    9. silver-plated copper
    10. aluminum-plated copper
    11. chrome flatwound or steel flatwound
    12. brass-plated copper

[and all of these wound strings can have any of 8 different types of cores and strands, ranging from silk threads, nylon, fluoro, and other composites] and the list goes on, etc..., with wound and unwound sets for ukulele, so you are possibly looking at a permutation of (12 x 12 x 2) different string sets available (or something like that - too early before coffee for me to do math).

Many folks cannot tell the difference (either the feel under the fingers or lack of hearing perception) or just dont care, and play whatever is:

a) cheapest
    b) easily available
    c) the set all their friends like
    d) whatever set (Jake, James Hill, Kimo Hussey) [insert famous uke player here] plays or endorses

Some folks like me, enjoy the choice and variety and are looking for a specific sound, feel, amount of sustain or tension that is NOT the same as what everyone else plays.

To each his own, and YMMV.

String choice is very subjective. We can all be 'correct' in our preferences, but what you like, may be different from what I like, especially on different instruments.

Personally, I find that string tension varies greatly across even the same brand but even with different materials, and the tension and diameter (linear density) greatly effect the tone, sustain as well as intonation.

But like I said, for many folks they don't pay attention to these things for whatever, personal reasons.

I do not judge anyone, but I enjoy the choices available to me at this time.
    Last edited by Booli; 01-05-2017 at 03:04 AM. Reason: typos

Thread Information