Strings Aquila carbon black -new strings

To me the tension feels very different, the string size is also a little different (Reds feel thicker), and the tactile feel of the strings are different. Also, I never had any trouble with the Reds (my absolute favorite strings) but these Blacks are a different beast. The knly similarity I really found was that they both have that papery feel... the Reds much more so that the Blacks.

Hi,
the Carbonblacks are made exactly like the reds of the last version (since 1 year almost). The only change concerne the colour.
The carbonblacks has its natural color gived by the iron powder while the reds has the red color added (in good percentage).
Gauges are the same.
I wonder what can cause a such diference; I think the red color change some behaviours. Hard to understand totally.
---
The Reds are the very first to use iron and so they had three 'generations' before to find out the final version. The first version has raf surface and a very red colour (hence the name); the second generation was a bit smoother and witha colour redish/brown but with some evident breackages. The third and last version are brown but less redish, stronger and smoother. The gauges and the iron quantity is exactly same on all the three generations.
Ciao
Mimmo

Last edited:
Hi,
the Carbonblacks are made exactly like the reds of the last version (since 1 year almost). The only change concerne the colour.
The carbonblacks has its natural color gived by the iron powder while the reds has the red color added (in good percentage).
Gauges are the same.
I wonder what can cause a such diference; I think the red color change some behaviours. Hard to understand totally.
---
The Reds are the very first to use iron and so they had three 'generations' before to find out the final version. The first version has raf surface and a very red colour (hence the name); the second generation was a bit smoother and witha colour redish/brown but with some evident breackages. The third and last version are brown but less redish, stronger and smoother. The gauges and the iron quantity is exactly same on all the three generations.
Ciao
Mimmo

This answers a lot of questions!

I had the original reds on a ukulele for a long time. I liked the roughness, and I thought they sounded great. Well, as great as anything was going to sound on my $30 cheapie.

I need new strings on my Gretsch, and was considering the reds, but unlikely i'd end up with the original reds I liked (and I admit, I rather liked the colour on my black uke!) so these carbon blacks seem the ones to try.

Just ordered a set. Looking forward to trying them.

I liked the the original Reds also- loved the sound and the gritty feel.

I really liked the sound of the original reds as well- not so much the roughness, but they sounded great. The newer reds, then the blacks didn’t sound right on my ukes.

Mimmo, just curious why you changed the formulation? Was it because of the breakage? (I never had a problem with the original reds, but saw a lot of people did).

Adam

Great so the awesome papery feel of the reds I have used on my soprano for three years now are not the same as any new reds sold?

I had bought three low G strings at the time and snapped two on my Risa stick although the reentrant set is fine. I finally just put the third on my Kala SEM soprano my first low G acoustic and wow I'm in love.

Sad I waited so long now.

Last edited:
I have changed the formula just a little.
You see: the string breackage was the problem.
Mimmo

Thanks Mimmo, this makes sense. The new ones are really stretchy to me. They stretch more than the room on the tuning post for me.

My carbon blacks arrived today. I like the colour, probably suits my uke better than the red would have.

I feel they still have a texture, but not like the original reds, they're quite smooth, but when I run my finger down a string it has the same whispy sound.

There's a nice sustain on my uke, and it feels perhaps a little louder and clearer than the strings I had on before, but they were also well due a change.

One thing I found when stringing up was they are super stretchy. I feel like I could have not left any slack when pulling through the tuners and with a stretch or two there'd have been plenty to wrap around. I anticipate it's going to be a while before they hold tune for any length of time.

But at this point, I'm quite happy with the purchase. Prefer to the nylgut I normally use.

Well, I've had them on my ukulele for about a week, I love the sound, best strings ever, but opened the case this morning to find the C string broken about half and inch below the tuning gear, so no more carbon blacks for me.

Finally got two sets in, happened to be Father's Day. On both sets the "A" string broke after pre stretch and wind on tuners. I was very careful with pressure points - nut, saddle and tuner holes. Strings broke between the nut and saddle.

Also had "C" string break in same manner. Could have been some wear across net but tried to not let it ride in the slot but rather across the bare nut.

Disappointed........sorry can't report sound sample. My bad luck?

I do have lots of experience using REDs so know procedure for proper stringing on Aquila Red? I was really looking forward to giving the Carbon Black a try.

My experience with the carbon blacks is similar. While tuning up the first set, the e string broke. I replaced it with one from the other set that I bought. The set sounded great for 2 days until the c string broke. I sent the company an e-mail suggesting they might want to check this out but I never received a reply. Over the years I've used several other brands on my tenor without any breakage and I am very careful when I change strings. It's a shame the carbon blacks were not more robust for me. I really liked the sound.

My experience with the carbon blacks is similar. While tuning up the first set, the e string broke. I replaced it with one from the other set that I bought. The set sounded great for 2 days until the c string broke. I sent the company an e-mail suggesting they might want to check this out but I never received a reply.

Hi guys, I have seen right now these further comments.
the carbon blaks are not in the market since January 2018 (Martin taken the place there) . I am sorry to hear that you has a such problems. Bariukish, you told that sent us a mail a no one answered you? I trust totally you however it sound strange: my collaborators MUST answer to people that place complains. And this take the first position over money, over orders. Maybe the mail went in the spam? who knows.... Please mail me there: aquila@aquilacorde.com. I will do my job. Mille grazie.

Hi guys, I have seen right now these further comments.
the carbon blaks are not in the market since January 2018 (Martin taken the place there) . I am sorry to hear that you has a such problems. Bariukish, you told that sent us a mail a no one answered you? I trust totally you however it sound strange: my collaborators MUST answer to people that place complains. And this take the first position over money, over orders. Maybe the mail went in the spam? who knows.... Please mail me there: aquila@aquilacorde.com. I will do my job. Mille grazie.

So the Martin Ukulele Premium Strings are the same as the Aquila Carbon Black Strings, which are no longer sold.
https://www.martinguitar.com/strings/ukulele-premium/

I also had early (2 weeks) string failure from Aquila Carbon Blacks. Hope the Martin version is more robust.

Last edited:
martyn same of carbon blaks? no.
basically it is the same process but with a lot of improvements. I cannot tell there which they are.
facts speack louder that words: at present no complaints about breackages.
Ciao
Mimmo

Makes me friggin' insane when no specs are published, both KALA and Aquila ask for money but with ZERO info other than price.... What if I buy them (buying them blind, so yes, bad on me) and dont like them, do I get a refund? NOPE. and they get to KEEP my money.

Goodness, so much outrage over uke strings, lol... A cheeseburger costs just as much, and if you don't like the bun, you won't get your money back for that either. :)

In my case, I don't know how to divine from specs how a given set of strings will sound on a particular instrument anyway, especially when strings that sound great on one of my tenors sound lousy on another.

I think there's less science to it than alchemy; I've only figured out one way to determine how strings will sound on an uke. The trial and error and try again is what makes it fun for me. :)

Top Bottom