NUD Ono #44 Claro Walnut with Port Orford Cedar

Mezcalero

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am the second owner of this fine ukulele, but it is new to me, and I wanted to take the time to share my first impressions. So far, what stands out to me the most is how light she is and how responsive she is to my caress. She definitely prefers to be played gently, quickly going from sweet to distorted when strummed or picked too vigorously. I will do a more thorough review when I have spent more time with her. Here are some of the aesthetic details:

Concert Body w/16" scale (half way in between traditional concert and tenor sizes)
Claro Walnut back & sides
Port Orford Cedar top
maple binding
custom rosette and faceplate
Macassar Ebony fretboard (not radiused)
Macassar Ebony bridge (string through body)
Gotoh UPT tuners
natural satin finish

here is a link to a quick sound sample recorded today:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjsvyt1kj00u0je/Ono Soundclip.mp3?dl=0

IMG_5283.jpg
IMG_5286.jpg
IMG_5288.jpg
IMG_5289.jpg
IMG_5290.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations, Kevin! Great looking uke, and nice playing. Looking forward to a more extensive review. Is this the Ono formerly known as Dave's?

She's a beaut.

Congratulations, Kevin! Great looking uke, and nice playing. Looking forward to a more extensive review. Is this the Ono formerly known as Dave's?

Thanks! and yes, it is the Ono formerly known as Dave's.

Nice job Kevin. You make it sound as beautiful as it looks. Seeing the pictures makes me miss it already but she is in good hands. I enjoyed it while it was mine but came to realize tenor and baritone with linear tuning was what I preferred. Thanks for a nice review

This is a concert correct? Nice looking ukulele.

This is a concert correct? Nice looking ukulele.

Yes, thanks for pointing this out. I went back and added this info in original post. it is a concert body with a 16" scale, which is half way between traditional concert and tenor scale lengths.

Nice job on the tune Kevin. The Uke and you appear to be happy together...

Very pretty playing. I have a second (third) hand 16" scale concert from Ono also, they are wonderful uke's.

Nice, Kevin. Glad it worked out for you! Still have a Collings UT3SMB that would sound beautiful with your excellent playing. ;-)

Thanks for the kind compliments! It's definitely special when you impress the "Maker" of such fine instruments :worship:

Now that I have spent a little time in the saddle recording ukulele for the first time, I have a feeling that Collings would really shine in the recording realm Eddie!

Top Bottom