Martin Centennial Ukuleles, very limited

There are no more centennial ukes at chicagomusicexchange.com, I purchased the last style 1 this morning ...

https://soundcloud.com/djangodawg-1/sets/martin-centennial-3

I have not had a chance to make another sound sample and this is not the best recording or playing, but it is, for what it's worth, a sample of me with my Martin Centennial 3. The playing was a bit rushed. We are going through a bit of personal tragedy, so I apologize for not getting this on earlier or taking more care to get a good recording or to be in a good frame of mind while playing.

There are 2 tracks, after that it goes onto something from someone else, so proceed at your own risk. I like the instrument and I do play and enjoy it. It would be a shame to not make use of something just because it may be collectible, at least that is how I see it.

Last edited:
Django, sounds great! Like your playing style. Im really enjoying my Centennial 3 I got from Elderly, it sounds and plays sweet, love the setup and action, not as mellow as my vintage Martins.. yet but I think it will open up nicely.. While I had my wallet out I also picked up a Centennial style 1 from CME ..Looks like its built nice....smells good.

Re the Martin OX Bamboo, which was mis-labeled with a Centennial Style 1 label inside (sold to me as a Centennial, at a Centennial price), I sent that back today for a refund. Surprisingly, it had a nice woody smell, despite the HPL construction. Martins always smell good to me. I sniff soundholes like dogs sniff...well...you know..;)

Last edited:
Amazing!

Your Style 3 Centennial is absolutely Amazingl! Love the dark Mahogany! Congratulations.

Hi everyone, I live in Los Angeles CA and here are some really nice ukulele shops here. I have been reading this forum in the background for some time.

I have a Style 2 Uke soprano (new production) that I got after Petey's review on this forum. Thanks Petey for your reviews! I absolutely love my 2 Uke. I found it used (in new condition) on craigslist and had a chance to play it before I bought it. Since then I sold a Koaloha concert that I had since I think the 2 Uke sounds so great (I don't have the funds to build a large collection).

At any case, yesterday I walked into a shop that is a dealer for Martin and behold.....they had a Style 3 Centennial in the showroom floor! I was not even looking for it I just saw it by accident. That is why I am surfing the net for info on this Ukulele, and found this discussion. I got to try the Centennial in the store and it sounded wonderful! It has all the Martin Mojo and then some! I must say that my 2 Uke sounds amazing too, but the Centennial is very, very tempting! It is a bunch of money but it is a style 3 and it is lovely!!

I was very pleased to hear Django's sound sample as I can see there is consistency with the Centennial I tried with respect to that Martin Jangle!

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

About the centennial style one. It took a while before I decided to order one. I wanted to order a style III, not because of the looks (prefer sober ukes) but I prefer to read 'Build in Nazareth' in stead of 'Build in Mexico'. Well, mine was delivered today and It looks great, very good built, nice piece of mahogany. Perfect action & intonation, easy playability, nice smell hehe... And it sounds warm (and loud). I own a Martin 2K tenor and for me the built quality is equal - I even dare to say that maybe it's better - The 2K has it's flaws in the ivoroid binding (not seamless) and the intonation is of on the A & C string. It was a pre-owned so maybe it's not Martin's fault but a 2K tenor had to have perfect intonation. Stil sound great.
What I'm trying to say is, Martins made in Mexico are still Martins (same build technique, same materials, same know how, ...) And Martin knows how to deliver. And what really like about the style I centennial is the absence of the horrible logo sticker.

Martin 2K tenor
Kanile'a K1 soprano
Martin Style I Centennial
Valeriano Bernal Clase F Flamenco Guitar
Martin 000-17sm
Guild M-20

I was surprised to see one still available, looks good, nice woods.

https://reverb.com/item/6228723-martin-style-1-centennial-soprano-ukulele

That one is now on its way to me.

I was placing an order for something else at the 1833 Shop a few days ago, saw the Ukulele Centennial t-shirt, was reminded of those models, and decided to see if any were still available. That Island Music listing was the only S1 I found. I came here to see what those in-the-know thought of it and decided to buy. I like the aesthetic a bit more than that of the normal S1 and I am also one of those suckers for limited run models.

It should be here Friday, I suspect. Thanks to everyone for sharing their input above. It was helpful.

I just bought one of 2 remaining at Elderly..
Folks who bought the style 3, do you'll like it?

Last edited:
I do like mine. It projects well, is balanced and expressive. Mahogany tends to be forgiving and has a rich tone. Fit and finish are excellent.

Top Bottom