Your story: how ukulele found you?

First time I saw a "nice" ukulele, it was a display of a few Martins (3k/5k) in the acoustic room at Guitar Center in Boston. As an upright bass player, the appeal of a tiny acoustic instrument which I could toss in a backpack rather than literally wheeling around the city on the T was undeniable. But they were a bazillion dollars and I forgot about it. My next exposure would have been ~2003 in the liner notes to Bela Fleck& the Flecktones "Little Worlds" album where they referred to "ukulele virtuoso Jake Shimabukuro". I was like "what?" and loved picking out his super clear lines on the few tracks he was on. Over the next few months, I started to kinda look out for them and in Asheville NC walked into a shop with a bunch of the Fluke and Flea ukes, and they just looked too unique and cool to pass up. I bought a Fluke, and a week later got a soprano Applause uke, beginning a slippery slide into ukulele consumerism, compounded when Jake hit it huge on YouTube and through a few trips to HI, and eventually leaving me with 12-15 scattered all over the house. In the last few years, I've adopted a bit of a minimalist streak (or... my wife has) and I'm down to 3 Martins and a Kamaka tenor.

From 4th grade through 12th grade I played viola in my school's orchestra. From college onward, I've played it very sporadically, taking it out once in a while for fun. At times I also tried to teach myself guitar and piano, but never got very far.

In 2014, the last season of How I Met Your Mother, I adored The Mother playing La Vie En Rose on ukulele. Then just a few months later, a web series that I was in love with had a character play ukulele in a really adorable scene. About a week after that, I picked up my first ukulele (a concert Lanikai) on a bit of a whim! My playing and practicing has been pretty sporadic over the past 5 years - I'm sure there have been times I've gone months without playing - but I love how it's so easy to just pick up and play a bit when I'm in the mood. (And I've still been playing ukulele more than my viola.) I'm only at two ukuleles currently (picked up a Kala tenor last year), but I've got my eye on a soprano right now!

Have I got a uke that found me, just weeks ago. It's not often I get to say I have a ukulele before anyone else in the world. But I think that even today it might be true! While visiting Oahu, I planned to take the Big K ukulele factory tours, starting with my fav. Kanile'a. The tour was the first one in 2019 and it was great, and I came away with a feeling of Ohana as everyone there, from owners Joe and Kristen Souza down to their entire team, everyone seemed to love what they were doing. I have built 1 ukulele myself so I had lots of questions for the builders as we went through the tour. Each was happy to explain their process in as much detail as I wanted to hear. While we were in the "finishing room" where the final processes happen to complete the ukes, the tour guide pulled down a tenor pineapple I had never seen before, and proceeded to explain it was the 2019 Platinum Limited Edition prototype, not yet announced, not yet in production. Then she passed it around for everyone to see. It was stunning to look at with it's master grade Koa and glossy UV finish and everyone oooed and ahhed over it's beauty. But when it got to me, and I strummed it I was blown away by it's sound! Clean and VERY full, with tons of volume. I immediately asked if this one was for sale. She said it was the prototype and 1st of it's series built, and it was doubtful but she would check. When continuing the tour I ran into Joe and told him I'd love to take that Pineapple tenor home with me and he said I bet you would. By the time we finished the tour, someone approached me and asked if I was the person interested in the 2019 pineapple, and I said I was. He explained again that it was the prototype and they were not yet in production but if I was interested, Joe said he would sell it. Long story short, I bought that uke right off the shelf in the finishing room, Joe took photos with me holding it and I left with the uke in a used Baritone case as the fitted cases weren't in yet. Even the used case is pretty special because it had blue painters tape on it labeling it 2019 Platinum LE. P. Prototype. And it's dated with 1/2/19 and Joe's signature (he also signed the makers label inside). The uke still hasn't even had the string ends trimmed yet! The new case will come later when they arrive.

It's killer master grade Koa with mango accents including the rosette, fret markers on the fretboard and fretboard edge, the Kanile'a logo on the headstock AND the cool comfort edge on the body! And to accent the model, the sound port on the top side is a pineapple! Joe has updated their TRU (Total Resonating 'Ukulele) Bracing design for 2019 (seen in photo). There's nothing to compare this to with the same body but at just a few weeks old it has a crazy full but not dark sound. This will be the first tenor Pineapple for the Big K builders I believe.

What a special event for me on Kanile'a first factory tour of 2019. Talk about a vacation memory! I keep thinking I'm going to wake up and find it was all a great dream. My thanks goes out to Joe, Kristen and the whole team. I know this series is going to be a home-run!

It got hand carried back home to NC on the plane!

Sorry for being long winded, if I sound excited, I surely am. Haven't been able to put this down since I left the factory!

PS. We spent 10 days in Maui and returned to Oahu for 2 days on our way home. During that time the new cases came in and they are as cool as the uke! By now the photos of this new series are on the Kanile'a site even some sound clips. But here's a few from me...

Happy New Years to ME, 2019 is already a great year! Rick

Attachments

• 2019 01c.jpg
    2019 01c.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6326.jpg
    IMG_6326.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7337.jpg
    IMG_7337.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6332.jpg
    IMG_6332.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7334.jpg
    IMG_7334.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Have I got a uke that found me, just weeks ago. It's not often I get to say I have a ukulele before anyone else in the world. But I think that even today it might be true! While visiting Oahu, I planned to take the Big K ukulele factory tours, starting with my fav. Kanile'a. The tour was the first one in 2019 and it was great, and I came away with a feeling of Ohana as everyone there, from owners Joe and Kristen Souza down to their entire team, everyone seemed to love what they were doing. I have built 1 ukulele myself so I had lots of questions for the builders as we went through the tour. Each was happy to explain their process in as much detail as I wanted to hear. While we were in the "finishing room" where the final processes happen to complete the ukes, the tour guide pulled down a tenor pineapple I had never seen before, and proceeded to explain it was the 2019 Platinum Limited Edition prototype, not yet announced, not yet in production. Then she passed it around for everyone to see. It was stunning to look at with it's master grade Koa and glossy UV finish and everyone oooed and ahhed over it's beauty. But when it got to me, and I strummed it I was blown away by it's sound! Clean and VERY full, with tons of volume. I immediately asked if this one was for sale. She said it was the prototype and 1st of it's series built, and it was doubtful but she would check. When continuing the tour I ran into Joe and told him I'd love to take that Pineapple tenor home with me and he said I bet you would. By the time we finished the tour, someone approached me and asked if I was the person interested in the 2019 pineapple, and I said I was. He explained again that it was the prototype and they were not yet in production but if I was interested, Joe said he would sell it. Long story short, I bought that uke right off the shelf in the finishing room, Joe took photos with me holding it and I left with the uke in a used Baritone case as the fitted cases weren't in yet. Even the used case is pretty special because it had blue painters tape on it labeling it 2019 Platinum LE. P. Prototype. And it's dated with 1/2/19 and Joe's signature (he also signed the makers label inside). The uke still hasn't even had the string ends trimmed yet! The new case will come later when they arrive.

It's killer master grade Koa with mango accents including the rosette, fret markers on the fretboard and fretboard edge, the Kanile'a logo on the headstock AND the cool comfort edge on the body! And to accent the model, the sound port on the top side is a pineapple! Joe has updated their TRU (Total Resonating 'Ukulele) Bracing design for 2019 (seen in photo). There's nothing to compare this to with the same body but at just a few weeks old it has a crazy full but not dark sound. This will be the first tenor Pineapple for the Big K builders I believe.

What a special event for me on Kanile'a first factory tour of 2019. Talk about a vacation memory! I keep thinking I'm going to wake up and find it was all a great dream. My thanks goes out to Joe, Kristen and the whole team. I know this series is going to be a home-run!

It got hand carried back home to NC on the plane!

Sorry for being long winded, if I sound excited, I surely am. Haven't been able to put this down since I left the factory!

PS. We spent 10 days in Maui and returned to Oahu for 2 days on our way home. During that time the new cases came in and they are as cool as the uke! By now the photos of this new series are on the Kanile'a site even some sound clips. But here's a few from me...

Happy New Years to ME, 2019 is already a great year! Rick
All I can say is Wow! I think that uke was meant to be yours from the start. Thanks for the pictures.

I toyed with playing guitar in HS & College. I enjoyed folk music and wanted to emulate. Didn't happen.

I never learned to read music even though I sang in a few choirs. I just sang what the person next to me did (1st tenor).

Fast forward to 2017. A friend of mine suggested that I come down to the ukulele club he belonged to. The CheezLand Ukulele Band (C.L.U.B.) Sit and listen, or better yet sit at the beginners' table and try a couple of the various-sized ukuleles they have for beginners using the handout they had for the newbies.

I did. I liked the tenor size. It fit me better than the others. (No baritones.) I enjoyed playing it. It was--fun!

I bought a Fender Koa Nohea tenor on Amazon because I had a couple of gift cards. I had read that koa was the best wood for ukuleles to made of. So I ponied up for the more expensive all-koa one. It looked beautiful when I got it. Though the fake abalone trim was a bit much, the wood was gorgeous. The Fender headstock is sexy as well. And I didn't have to switch directions on the tuners. Bonus! It cost $250. Came with nylon strings. And there was no setup. (I found out later that "all-koa" meant "laminate.") I bought a Snark tuner as well and an upgraded gigbag.

I was primed. I played some of the beginner songs and found it sounded good-ish. I had a hard time fretting some of the chords, but I knew I'd get better.

I stayed at the beginners' table the next meeting. I was doing well. So the following week I sat with the group and attempted to play along. Ouch! But people were kind and non-judgemental and only winced a few times. This is really fun.

After about 4 months, I went to a music store with a guy I met at the club. He's a very good player and lives in my town. There, I found an Ohana TK-50GS. The owner told me it was just taken off sale, but he'd let me have it for the sale price. I bought it, and a case, and asked him to set it up. He did. And it was so much easier to play than the Fender! Sounded much better too!

That was the beginning of my UAS.

I discovered Barry Maz' website I'veGotAUkulele.com It's aimed at beginners, and I learned a lot, so I bought his books. I wish I'd known the buying tips before I bought my two uke.

I liked Barry's review of a Pono uke. I think it was a tenor. I liked a Pono koa I heard at the club. So, I started looking at them for my next step up. After about 2 months with the Ohana, I wound up wth a Pono MGT mango tenor. I thought the warm sound was lovely. I also discovered Martin fluorocarbon strings! Wow! What a difference from the nylon strings.

Before long I acquired a Pono Acacia tenor. A different sound, but equally nice. And I was off to the races.

Perfect segue. I had been saving my money to buy a good used sports car. But that summer, I was zipping around in my 145 hp 1991 RX-7 convertible. The twisty back roads here in Wisconsin are a lot of fun to drive. With rolling hills and beautiful scenery. Well, I went around a blind corner at 60 mph (speed limit was 55). To my horror a huge 6-wheel tractor was coming the opposite way towing an even wider wagon full of hay! It took up at least half of my lane as well as all of his! Fortunately, there was just enough room on the right berm to go past him. No time to think—pure reflex driving. The rear tires slipped a bit on the edge of a sharp drop off of about 4 to 6 feet down to the drainage ditch filled with trees and bushes. I remember vividly seeing the farmer's eyes, which were big as saucers, as I swerved to miss him. I nonchalantly waved as I drove off. But was shaking a bit in reality. I began to reconsider my decision to buy a used Porche, or Mazda, or whatever. My reflexes aren't as good as they used to be. Though I've done performance driving and crewed for a couple of race teams, I was pretty sure I was going to wind up killing myself in a modern 400 hp car.

Eventually, I decided I would rather purchase some nice, quality ukuleles that I could enjoy playing until the arthritis in my hands got too bad to do so.

Ko'Aloha, Kamaka, Kinnard, MyaMoe, Martin, Moodyville, Pono, Pereira... Well, fifteen, usually used, ukuleles later, my UAS has been slaked and my bank account is bust.

Although, there is a nice MoonBird tenor I've been hearing great things about...

I’ve met some terrific people at the uke club. Then I stumbled across the UU Forums. I've corresponded and posted with many wonderful people on the UU Forums. What friendly and helpful folks are found here. And I discovered some excellent sounding ukuleles to purchase on the Marketplace.

My playing is way better than it was only a year ago, but that may only be the nice instruments I have to make the music.

Last edited:
I toyed with playing guitar in HS & College. I enjoyed folk music and wanted to emulate. Didn't happen.

I never learned to read music even though I sang in a few choirs. I just sang what the person next to me did (1st tenor).

Fast forward to 2017. A friend of mine suggested that I come down to the ukulele club he belonged to. The CheezLand Ukulele Band (C.L.U.B.) Sit and listen, or better yet sit at the beginners' table and try a couple of the various-sized ukuleles they have for beginners using the handout they had for the newbies.

I did. I liked the tenor size. It fit me better than the others. (No baritones.) I enjoyed playing it. It was--fun!

I bought a Fender Koa Nohea tenor on Amazon because I had a couple of gift cards. I had read that koa was the best wood for ukuleles to made of. So I ponied up for the more expensive all-koa one. It looked beautiful when I got it. Though the fake abalone trim was a bit much, the wood was gorgeous. The Fender headstock is sexy as well. And I didn't have to switch directions on the tuners. Bonus! It cost $250. Came with nylon strings. And there was no setup. I bought a Snark tuner as well and an upgraded gigbag.

I was primed. I played some of the beginner songs and found it sounded good-ish. I had a hard time fretting some of the chords, but I knew I'd get better.

I stayed at the beginners' table the next meeting. I was doing well. So the following week I sat with the group and attempted to play along. Ouch! But people were kind and non-judgemental and only winced a few times. This is really fun.

After about 4 months, I went to a music store with a guy I met at the club. He's a very good player and lives in my town. There, I found an Ohana TK-50GS. The owner told me it was just taken off sale, but he'd let me have it for the sale price. I bought it, and a case, and asked him to set it up. He did. And it was so much easier to play than the Fender! Sounded much better too!

That was the beginning of my UAS.

I discovered Barry Maz' website I'veGotAUkulele.com It's aimed at beginners, and I learned a lot, so I bought his books. I wish I'd known the buying tips before I bought my two uke.

I liked Barry's review of a Pono uke. I think it was a tenor. I liked a Pono koa I heard at the club. So, I started looking at them for my next step up. After about 2 months with the Ohana, I wound up wth a Pono MGT mango tenor. I thought the warm sound was lovely. I also discovered Martin fluorocarbon strings! Wow! What a difference from the nylon strings.

Before long I acquired a Pono Acacia tenor. A different sound, but equally nice. And I was off to the races.

Perfect segue. I had been saving my money to buy a good used sports car. But that summer, I was zipping around in my 145 hp 1991 RX-7 convertible. The twisty back roads here in Wisconsin are a lot of fun to drive. With rolling hills and beautiful scenery. Well, I went around a blind corner at 60 mph (speed limit was 55). To my horror a huge 6-wheel tractor was coming the opposite way towing an even wider wagon full of hay! It took up at least half of my lane as well as all of his! Fortunately, there was just enough room on the right berm to go past him. No time to think—pure reflex driving. The rear tires slipped a bit on the edge of a sharp drop off of about 4 to 6 feet down to the drainage ditch filled with trees and bushes. I remember vividly seeing the farmer's eyes, which were big as saucers, as I swerved to miss him. I nonchalantly waved as I drove off. But shaking a bit in reality. I began to reconsider my decision to buy a used Porche, or Mazda, or whatever. My reflexes aren't as good as they used to be. I was pretty sure I was going to kill myself in a 400 hp car.

Eventually, I decided I would rather purchase some nice, quality ukuleles that I could enjoy playing until the arthritis in my hands got too bad to do so.

Ko'Aloha, Kamaka, Kinnard, MyaMoe, Martin, Moodyville, Pono, Pereira... Well, fifteen, usually used, ukuleles later, my UAS has been slaked and my bank account is bust.

Although, there is a nice MoonBird tenor I've been hearing great things about...

I’ve met some terrific people at the uke club. Then I stumbled across the UU Forums. I've corresponded and posted with many wonderful people on the UU Forums. What friendly and helpful folks are found here. And I discovered some excellent sounding ukuleles to purchase on the Marketplace.

My playing is way better than it was only a year ago, but that may only be the nice instruments I have to make the music.

Good read! A good uke depreciates less than a good car.. and improves with age! Sounds like a good choice to me!

The Ukulele found me two weeks ago, but it's been quite a transformation. I've played music since I was 6 years old on the Violin. Since then, I've played Viola, Baritone Horn, Tuba, Valved Trombone, Bass Guitar, Upright Bass, Acoustic Guitar and Banjo. Most of those I've moved on from, however I still play the Upright Bass and Banjo. Back in October, I purchased a new Banjo from a local music store. Since my kids were with me, the music store had a thing they did with the kids, that if a parent bought an instrument, they would give the kid(s) an Amahi Soprano Ukulele. Recently, my kids had been driving me nuts to learn the Ukulele and teach them. Before two weeks ago, I had always thought of the Ukulele as a "kids toy," as most I had seen were so poor quality that they were toy-like. I picked up a lesson book on Ukulele, and learned my first 3 chords: C, G7 & F. From the first strum, my opinion immediately changed from "kids toy" to "beautiful sounding, musical instrument." After clunking along on the kids' Amahi Soprano for the past two weeks, just today I ordered my first Concert Ukulele with safety points from work. I never expected the Ukulele to find me, but it did!

Fascinating thread and a brilliant idea. Good material for a historian / sociologist to summarise. Here is a brief version of my route to the uke.

My dad was a banjoist so the sound of strumming was always in the house.

I played the banjo in a trad (Dixieland) band in the 60s, and a bit of guitar too.

Apart from spasmodic dusting off the instruments, I didn't do much plonking for many years.

Then a few years ago went to a concert by the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain: what an eye-opener.

Wife bought me a nice little soprano for my birthday. Found it very suitable for stiffening fingers

Discovered Tony Mizen's From Lute to Uke, and interest in Renaissance music re-kindled.

Bought a cheap lute, but learning curve very steep. Good fun, but challenging. Loved the music, though, and I really wanted to play it.

So, about 2 years ago, started arranging lute pieces for the uke. Much more rewarding to play, if not always easy.

Found I had to buy a tenor and fit it with a low G, to get a lower voice. (Why not use a guitar? I find that it is far too heavy a sound for the music, tho' there are some wonderful guitarists playing the music beautifully.)

Started blogging my arrangements, even the ones I can't play properly.

And there you have it!

After attending bluegrass festivals, etc. I was jealous that I couldn’t participate in picking, particularly with one of my favorite bluegrass bands, Steep Canyon Rangers. I toyed with the idea of learning an instrument that I could have pick session with.

The dream was a banjo, but the size felt like a major commitment for someone who has never had a string instrument before. I love the sound and find it to be a happy instrument. From there I decided a mandolin would be more portable and sat on that idea for several years. In Dec ‘18 after xmas I decided I was going to commit to the idea and make it a New Years Resolution.

I found myself intimidated by the 8 strings before even starting, and started looking for alternative instruments to learn that were easier. I figured I would have better sucess if the instrument wasn’t so hard starting out. Dulcimer seemed to be an option. Ukulele also was an option. I liked the idea of a ukulele, but as soon as I found out a banjolele existed, I fell in love and knew this was my path. I got my uke (Kala KA-CEMB) from Mim after the New Year.

I was hooked from day one. I even started teaching lessons to my dad immediately as I had memorized some chords while waiting for the uke to arrive. Right now I am looking at buying a banjolele and an Outdoor uke. It has been a wonderfuly journey. I can’t wait for Spring to hit so I can take the uke to the park!

After attending bluegrass festivals, etc. I was jealous that I couldn’t participate in picking, particularly with one of my favorite bluegrass bands, Steep Canyon Rangers. I toyed with the idea of learning an instrument that I could have pick session with.

The dream was a banjo, but the size felt like a major commitment for someone who has never had a string instrument before. I love the sound and find it to be a happy instrument. From there I decided a mandolin would be more portable and sat on that idea for several years. In Dec ‘18 after xmas I decided I was going to commit to the idea and make it a New Years Resolution.

I found myself intimidated by the 8 strings before even starting, and started looking for alternative instruments to learn that were easier. I figured I would have better sucess if the instrument wasn’t so hard starting out. Dulcimer seemed to be an option. Ukulele also was an option. I liked the idea of a ukulele, but as soon as I found out a banjolele existed, I fell in love and knew this was my path. I got my uke (Kala KA-CEMB) from Mim after the New Year.

I was hooked from day one. I even started teaching lessons to my dad immediately as I had memorized some chords while waiting for the uke to arrive. Right now I am looking at buying a banjolele and an Outdoor uke. It has been a wonderfuly journey. I can’t wait for Spring to hit so I can take the uke to the park!

Playing bluegrass on it and what music are you using? Banjo's way too big for me so I built myself a banjo uke. W
BTW love Steep Canyon Rangers!

How did the uke find me? Hmmmm. Well, I have played guitar for over 20 years - mostly strum and sing. I wouldn't consider myself technically proficient on the guitar. A couple of friends had ukes and I was interested, but I couldn't make myself pull the trigger on one. Then my 10 year old wanted to learn the guitar. We grow 'em pretty small and he had trouble reaching across the fretboard so I suggested he start with a uke. That led to me buying a uke for both him and me (he's a righty, and I'm a lefty). I started with a little laminate Ohana CK-10 and have since added a solid wood Ohana TK-50G. I dream about a K-brand tenor, but thus far I haven't been able to pull the trigger on one. I play my ukes everyday, and know a lot more about uke than I ever did guitar. Oh, and I rarely play my guitar anymore except for strumming and singing to lead worship.

The 'ukulele found me one random afternoon while I was visiting a relative....

I paid a visit to my 5-year-old cousin. My cousin was learning 'ukulele at the time, and her father had bought a couple of Makala ukes so they could practice together.

Always one to be interested in unfamiliar musical instruments, I roped her father into showing me a a few chords on the 'ukulele then spent the remainder of the afternoon practicing the ice cream changes. The father told me the name of the store where he had purchased the 'ukuleles, and I filed it away for future reference. I didn't know it yet, but I had already caught the uke bug.

I went home and left those two ukuleles behind, but I had the itch. As the club advisor for a music appreciation club, I was drawn to the ukulele's accessibility. None of my primary instruments was a good fit for accompanying novice musicians, but the 'ukulele could fulfill both rhythm and harmony roles suitably well for my needs. I visited the music store recommended by my cousin's father to try out a few 'ukuleles, and after several hours of A/Bing various models, purchased a Kala KA-ATP-CTG-CE that ticked all the right boxes (decent intonation, good tone separation, crisp attack, broad dynamic range, and reasonably full tone) and a copy of Lil Rev's beginner method.

Soon enough, learning the notes in open position and stringing together a few chords gave way to monthly trips to 'ukulele circles and playing out of the Yellow Book. As the 'ukulele hive mind absorbed my thoughts, the hobby became an obsession replete with hours of daily practice and regular trips to 'ukulele festivals and uke-centric concerts. I joined an 'ukulele ensemble, applied myself to the instrument, and never looked back.

It's been almost four years since I first discovered the 'ukulele while sitting on my cousin's couch, and the cycle has come full circle. Now the 'ukulele teacher at the store that sold my cousin's father the Makalas that first caught my eye, I find myself in a position of responsibility as seek to inspire my students and guide them to realize their own musical ambitions.

I suspect this is but the start of a long, wending journey . . .

Last edited:
Playing bluegrass on it and what music are you using? Banjo's way too big for me so I built myself a banjo uke. W
BTW love Steep Canyon Rangers!
I keep trying to decipher what you are asking in that first sentence, so I am going to wing it with my first instinct and then correct me if I am wrong. So music can be hard to find, but yeah I have played a little bluegrass on the uke so far. I forget some of them as I didn’t print them out. I play ‘Yellow-Backed Fly” by Steve Martin and SCR a lot. It is quite easy chord-wise, so I have been enjoying getting to close my eyes and imagine I am picking with them in the late hours after the festival ends haha. Anyways, I got the music off amchords, if you are interested. I like lots of music, so I haven’t been as focused on bluegrass since my favorite songs are not as easy to find or are really tough for a beginner. I remember playing a John Prine song at request from my dad. But considering he basically uses the same chords and such in all his songs, I have played them all! :p I am currently looking for “Little Birdie” by Abigail Washburn and Bela Fleck as well as a few others, but they are tough to find. I need to look harder or convert them to uke.

Yay another SCR fan! :) I have seen them in concert more than 10 times! Twice with Steve Martin (Another love of mine, which is how I was introduced to them back on their first collab) with one of those times including Edie Brickell. I unfortunately missed the Martin Short one. They are so flawless and smooth live. Have you gotten a chance to see them? They are also really chill to chat with, so if you get a chance to if it is quiet, take the opportunity.

Captain-janeway and AlishaMisha:

If you don't know Frets Halligan, you should check him out. Frets Halligan is the pseudonym of Charlie Rancke, a guitarist and vocalist who used to be in a few bluegrass combos including a progressive bluegrass quartet called "Cloud Valley" alongside Bill Evans and Missy Elliott. Interestingly, Frets has also made contributions to the 'ukulele community in form of laying much of the groundwork for the 'ukulele community in Maine as well as traveling and conducting workshops.

You can find a few recordings of Frets here: https://www.wvtf.org/post/frets-halligan#stream/0. Incidentally, he performs a very nice, approachable version of "Yellow-Backed Fly" at that link.

Last edited:
I play guitar mainly for my own enjoyment. I am an average player at best. The other day my wife bought a bright orange Makala soprano ukulele to use when she visits an old age home. She wanted to bring music to the residents she visits.

Before this she has always taken a hands-off approach to music but I can see her enthusiasm to learn.

She also suddenly has a better appreciation and better opinion of my modest skills. Before she used to mainly deride my playing.

Anyway I tried her uke and was hooked. It's such an easy and happy instrument.

So I have ordered an Aklot AKC23. Its a strange name but comes highly recommended so lets see.

How the Ukulele found me;

In 2015 brother invited my wife and I on an eight day kayaking trip to the south island of Haida Gwaii. My brother has a musical background and when we get together we find a way to sing a few songs. (Him better then I).

I wondered what instrument could be carried in a kayak. A ukulele crossed my mind, but I quickly dismissed it as I didn't have one, didn't know how to play and there was not enough time before the trip.

On our arrival in Haida Gwaii, my sister in law presented my brother with a ukulele as a gift. (They had been to Hawaii the year before). It had no case so we left it behind.

By this time I was getting a feeling, but could not identify it.

Our first night out on the trip after dinner our guide pulled a ukulele out of the back of her kayak! I was now amazed and said out loud " This is a message to me, I have always wanted to play an instrument. When I get back home I am going to learn how to play".

We had sing-a-longs every night of the trip. It was a wonderful shared experience with the whole group.

Back home, I bought a Kala tenor, took a couple of group lessons and started attending the local group at the library.

I quickly realized that strumming alone is not great as a melody is required. I took singing lessons and now I am in an excellent community choir (Joyvox).

Since then I have built three tenors and one baritone.

I have few songs memorized and am constantly looking for more.

I am hooked for life. Just yesterday I said to myself, " I am going to sing and play all the way to my grave."

Not sure if it was a worm hole or a time warp, but the ukulele did find me!

The ukulele definitely found me rather than the other way around. I had absolutely no interest in it, nor any other instrument for that matter. I took piano lessons from ages 5-10, not because I wanted to. I also had some really bad guitar lessons when I was 12 for about a month. That was the extent of my musical career.

My wife thought it would be a fun idea to celebrate my 40th birthday, which happens to fall on Christmas Day, in Hawaii. She also thought it would be cool if Santa brought our 7 year-old son an ukulele for Christmas.

I went out and bought a cheap, little soprano for him and barely thought about it again until he opened it on Christmas morning.

He loved it...for about 10 minutes. He’s shown no interest in it in the 3+ months since. I, on the other hand, couldn’t put it down. By the time we left a few days later I was able to strum Iz’s “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” using a very simplistic strumming pattern.

The uke was terrible, but it hooked me anyway. A week after getting home, I ordered a Pono ATD from HMS, and I haven’t looked back.

I can now play “Somewhere Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World” using Iz’s actual strumming pattern and quickly learned a few fun songs like “Brown Eyed Girl” and “Rainbow Connection.” I can also now finger pick a few, like “White Sandy Beach,” a simplified version of “Canon in D,” and some other simpler stuff. Currently working on Jake Shimabukuro’s version of “Fields of Gold.” It’ll probably take me a month to get it, but I’ll get there.

I’m already finding that I lean toward finger picking, but there’s something about strumming that’s just soothing, too.

So began my love affair with the uke. Who woulda thought? Certainly not me, but here I am plotting my next 3 ukes. It’s crazy how these things can grab hold of you.

Well, that’s my story. I hope someone enjoys it as much as I’ve enjoyed reading many of yours.

Keep strummin’!

Matt

Last edited:
I think is was 4 years ago, I had a birthday coming up. I know I am hard to buy for so I did some research on the internet for some ideas to tell my wife.
I saw a soprano ukulele kit from Grizzly.com. That sounded like a lot of fun to build so I asked for it and received it.

It was very rewarding to build the kit. I think it turned out really well. The uke is beautiful. It doesn't play very well (intonation is poor) and it is heavy, but it is pretty to look at. After that, I decided to get a better uke and purchased a Cordoba 15CM. It was setup nicely and plays well.

The ukes have grown from there. I got the Kala from HMS for my birthday a year later. I picked up a Pono AT used from someone local and I purchased the Kiwaya from World of Ukes.

I now have 4 plus original kit uke. I also got yellow Ohana for my wife to use in her music classes.

Last edited:
I first discovered the ukulele during a class offered in 2012 onboard the Celebrity "Century" cruise ship. I didn't purchase a ukulele for myself on that trip, but during a trip on the Ruby Princess in March of 2019, I got reacquainted with the Ukulele in a class presented by Tiki Dave. We had 65 beginning ukulele players in that class! Anyways, I purchased an Oscar Schmidt Tenor size in Hilo, and am enjoying it even after the trip. In my teenage years (I'm now retired) I played, and still have, a 6-string guitar, but lost interest. The ukulele is only 4 strings, and so many songs can be played with just 4 chords that I have a renewed interest in playing an instrument once again. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but if those tricks are EASIER, that may not be the case... I find the ukulele is easier on my tired old brain because I only have 4 strings to keep track of, easier on my fingers, because the strings aren't brass or steel, and thanks to the modern smart phone, easier to tune with a "Uke Tune" app, where I once used a tuning fork for the guitar. So... wish me luck!

Top Bottom