Beginner's Toolkit Items?

Scatterbrain

Reaction score
I am looking at the essential items I need to put together an inexpensive yet usable toolkit for maintenance and setup purposes. If you have any particular favourites or recommendations I am in the UK.

Thanks for reading

Hi Scatterbrain :)

Off the top of my head... microfiber cloth, lemon oil, string winder, clip-on tuner (not really a toolkit thing I suppose), spare tuner batteries, spare strings, something to cut strings with (I like to use heavy duty nail scissors), spare nut and saddle blanks, files, sandpaper, masking tape, wood glue, soft toothbrush, steel ruler, other stuff I can't remember...

I have no special preferences although I do like the fact that the Jim Dunlop lemon oil comes in a spray bottle :)

Oh, and a pencil case to keep most of the stuff in... and a pencil (for lubricating nut slots)...

Hi Scatterbrain :)

Off the top of my head... microfiber cloth, lemon oil, string winder, clip-on tuner (not really a toolkit thing I suppose), spare tuner batteries, spare strings, something to cut strings with (I like to use heavy duty nail scissors), spare nut and saddle blanks, files, sandpaper, masking tape, wood glue, soft toothbrush, steel ruler, other stuff I can't remember...

I have no special preferences although I do like the fact that the Jim Dunlop lemon oil comes in a spray bottle :)

Oh, and a pencil case to keep most of the stuff in... and a pencil (for lubricating nut slots)...

Fantastic list I can get a few bits to stave off UAS until my birthday lol and practice setup on the Mahalo!

Thank you!

What kind of files would one want to get? Someone without any experience with modifying nuts and saddles. :)

What kind of files would one want to get? Someone without any experience with modifying nuts and saddles. :)

Get a set of needle files at any good hardware store or online.

I was actually thinking of files for any minor bits of fret dressing that might need doing. So, for that purpose - nail files! A six-way nail file/buffer works a treat :)

I've only ever filed nut slots down once and it felt like one of those movie scenes where the protagonist has to decide which wire to cut to defuse the bomb. It was a little tense... I used nozzle cleaners but wouldn't rush to use them again. I truly believe there is no good substitute for proper luthier files. Or just take the nut off and sand down the bottom - it seems like a 'bigger' job but I maintain that it is a lot easier.

Last edited:
needle nose pliers
Orvis forceps (stollen from my fly fishing gear)
flathead and small phillips head screwdrivers (for tightening screws on tuner)
wire cutters if not built into pliers or forceps
thin 6” or so LED flashlight (sometimes an LED headlamp flashlight to be hands free) (I have a bad eye)

pneumatic air hammer and impact wrenches I'll rent as needed :)

Top Bottom