Laminate concert with 12-frets to the body?

Booli

Reaction score
Aloha,

I'm trying to find a laminate concert with 12-frets to the body.

Searching comes up only with Mitchell ukes which seem to be the private label brand of Guitar Center and the 'open-book' crown shape of the headstock really puts me off and I cannot get past it. Also, they all seem to be with a heavy gloss coat and most needing major setup work according to many written and video reviews.

[edit #3] This is what the Mitchell MU-70 looks like:
QOATCfN.jpg

I'd prefer to buy from a vendor that does setups, or if a used one, that has already had a good setup done.

New or used does not matter to me as long as the back of the neck is not full of divots and dings, for this impacts the feel when playing.

Brand does not matter nor origin, but I wanted to try one made like this because it puts the bridge lower, more into the mid-line of the lower bout, and since I'd like to tune it in fifths CGDA with the Aquila U31 strings, my guess is that it would provide better projection of the lower C3 and G3 notes used in this tuning.

I tried this tuning/strings combo on both a Mainland longneck concert all-solid mahogany (which has a shallow body depth) as well as my Mainland classic concert (which is 14 frets to the body) and on both, the sound was anemic in these lower frequencies...

I know other strings can alter the tone of course, if you've been following my constant string odyssey here on UU, but my guess and hope based upon the physics of sound waves and mechanics of instrument construction is that if the bridge is lower, that more mid-bass can project out of the instrument.

So, if I am missing something in my understanding, I am wide open for clarification, and please share what you know.

Also, if you know of any laminate concert ukes with 12 frets to the body that are NOT Mitchell brand and/or have a link for an example somewhere online, I'd appreciate it if you could share that too.

Mahalo,

Booli :music:

[edited to add] In lieu of something better, it seems that low-hanging fruit exists with the Oscar Schmidt OU2P pineapple concert:

USM-ou2p.jpg

in that it appears to have the 12-frets to the body, and on account of the pineapple shape, more surface area to the top, and the bridge seems to be in the mid-line of the widest part of the body.

Bonus that these typically sell for $65-75 most vendors, and that the fretboard is bound, but no reviews talk about the intonation 'out of the box'.

Opinions please on this one too? Mahalo again :)

[edit #2] I forgot to mention that I need MORE than just 12 frets, at least 15 frets.

Last edited:
Not all-laminate, but if you can find one of the discontinued Ohana Vitas (Mim may have one or two in stock), it has a solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides. 12 frets. Wonderful projection. About $180 new. The newest series Vitas are all-solid, if I'm not mistaken.

Not all-laminate, but if you can find one of the discontinued Ohana Vitas (Mim may have one or two in stock), it has a solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides. 12 frets. Wonderful projection. About $180 new. The newest series Vitas are all-solid, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look and see, and then go on the hunt if it seems right for me. :)

Last edited:
Booli
Check out the Ohana CK-22 or CK-22Z, Mahogany or Zebrawood body and Spruce top.
Mine has 12 frets to the body and a solid spruce top. Lovely player and light as a feather. ~$165?

Lovely players.

If you don't mind doing the setup and fret filing, a Caramel Concert might fit your needs. I have a CC-100 Zebrawood that is a great player. ~$55 shipped from China, ~2-4 weeks delivery. I almost offered you mine as I have all the work done and I need to thin the herd a bit with the TK-50G coming.

Last edited:
Booli, if you decide that you want the Gretsch mentioned by Jim H., and would like the HMS/TheUkuleleSite setup while paying less than the $119 full price, let me know, as I have one that I'm not playing and would be willing to sell to help fund another purchase.

Bunch of Oscar Schmidt Concerts with 12 frets to the body. I had an OU5 I gave to my granddaughter. Not loud, but awfully sweet. They amplify beautifully. They sometimes need the action lowered, but that's no big deal.

Top Bottom