Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ukulele monogamous, too much of a good thing?

Default Ukulele monogamous, too much of a good thing?

Do you think it's better to really get to know one instrument and play it exclusively? Or do you think using as litany of Ukes is better for improving a players skill?

Obviously when seeking a specific tone or when recording etc each Ukulele has it's own voice and merit, but what are your thoughts on Uke monogamy or lack there of?

Are you a fealty fretter or a soundhole sl*t?..

There was a really good thread about this a while back that you might enjoy. It will be interesting to see the responses the new thread gets as well.

I've changed my playing preferences since I responded to that thread several years back. I have one less uke - three, instead of four - and my two main players are concert scale Kamakas, one reentrant and one low G. I've found that for me, sticking with a single size neck instead of hopping back and forth between concert and soprano has been helpful, so that's sort of ukulele-monogamous. If I didn't have the need for both reentrant and low G, I would likely be entirely monogamous!

I've been playing for a long time now and I still can't for the life of me discern between tonewoods that work for a particular style or song or whatever. I know what I like, I know what I don't like, and the ukes I own sound equally good to my ear regardless of musical genre or song that I'm playing. Or equally bad, depending on how well I play the song...
    Last edited by janeray1940; 01-16-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Hi,

I'm really not trying to be snarky - but this does seem to be remarkably similar to the How many ukes are enough? thread that is still going strong.

How much rationalization for UAS do people need?

Monogamy is over rated.

It really depends on your mentality /perspectives/situation.

Some like me , find winding down to a one or three ukes to allow me to focus on what is really important, practicing the music/enjoying the music.
    Others may have an outlook that a variety adds to the enjoyment and not particularly a purist in terms of a musician's mindset. Others may need a variety to fulfill all the requirements of gigging, traveling, rough situations, climates, etc.

If you are questioning it, basically for anything .. not just 'to UAS or not', try it out and see where you stand. You'll definitely go through some regrets and satisfactions but most importantly will learn and converge to something that fits you ultimately. Rather than just sticking to one method, outlook, or style and always being curious as to what else I can explore or get into to enhance my experiences or see who I really am.

So, these questions are just best answered by self.
    Last edited by Debussychopin; 01-16-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    All for sale; pm me:

Brand new Loprinzi Honduran mahogany soprano w new hardshell case. $350 -> 325

One wife......many ukes. That's my motto
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I politely decline to answer on account that I may incriminate myself.
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

The problem with monogamy is how do you know your uke isn't being played by other people.

I have always been a one woman man!

I am very new to the ukulele, but so far I have surrounded myself with more instruments than I can possibly play regularly.

I do find that each instrument does respond differently to my caress! I tend to get into one or two (maybe 3) instruments intensively for days or weeks at a time. During this time, I seem to attain a very good feel for the sweet spot of each of these instruments. As an example, I can just strum away with abandon on my Pono tenors and they can take it well and sound great. Other instruments require a much softer and controlled attack to find their sweet spot.

I plan to do some recording, and maybe some performing, so I can honestly justify having maybe 6-8 tenors. Presently I have more like 16 I will certainly be cutting that number back in the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezcalero View Post
    I have always been a one woman man!

I am very new to the ukulele, but so far I have surrounded myself with more instruments than I can possibly play regularly.

I do find that each instrument does respond differently to my caress! I tend to get into one or two (maybe 3) instruments intensively for days or weeks at a time. During this time, I seem to attain a very good feel for the sweet spot of each of these instruments. As an example, I can just strum away with abandon on my Pono tenors and they can take it well and sound great. Other instruments require a much softer and controlled attack to find their sweet spot.

I plan to do some recording, and maybe some performing, so I can honestly justify having maybe 6-8 tenors. Presently I have more like 16 I will certainly be cutting that number back in the coming months.
    Kevin, you are a real Bossa Nova ... um, I mean casanova ... lol.

I agree. One wife. But many Ukes to keep me company and enjoy.
    How bad is your UAS?

Thread Information