Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ukulele monogamous, too much of a good thing?

I simply could not reasonably get all I want to out of just one ukulele (without forever changing strings), hi-G, lo-G, banjolele or tuned in 5th's, they all get played regularly and all have a very different sound and a different repertoire
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

Theblackegg thank you for this thread. Like the others....... one wife and only two words......Yes Dear.

I'm a one ukulele player bit works for me.

My playing ability increased once I got more than one ukulele. I learned that what worked on one might not work on another - finger pressure, fretting chords etc.

Adjusting for different string tension etc. also made a difference - the Opio and the Brueko are way different sopranos to play.

It took another jump once I consistently played on more than one size ukulele. Muscle memory for a soprano had to be adjusted for a tenor, and then back to a soprano. That was a good way to get better on the ukulele for me.
    Last edited by actadh; 01-16-2017 at 03:12 PM.
    - Laura

I actually progressed better when I got my concert, but when I shifted back to tenor, the skills I learned on the concert made the tenor easy. After I bought my baritone I found it was easy to shift up to the increased reach after only a couple of days. Now, after a year, I shift between them pretty easily. I still have problems with my soprano though.

I have seven, I like each for one reason or another and it's just great fun.

I consider myself mostly monogamous. I have my one great Bari that I stick with almost all the time. I only step out on him when I want to play something he just doesn't want to play (like girlie pop or some old times stuff). Or if I go someplace where he will be like a bull in a china shop and just wont fit comfortably (like traveling, beach, boat). Then I two-time him with my soprano. Or if I really just have to get down and dirty, I leave him out of it and I go play with my beater (like camping or around children).

Quote Originally Posted by Gammo View Post
    The problem with monogamy is how do you know your uke isn't being played by other people.
    Good one. I like it . Made me laugh.
    http://www.karaukey.com - Ukulele Karaoke - Ukulele Backing Tracks - Strum Class
    http://www.meetup.com/ukulelians - Gold Coast and Hinterland Ukulele Group

If we are talking just starting to learn, stick with the one scale length.

That doesn't mean you can't try out other ukes though.

I found the concert scale suited me when starting out, spent about 6 months mainly using that scale, & seemed to progress fairly quickly.

But, as with most people, I had to try out the different scales, (& long necks too).
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    One wife......many ukes. That's my motto
    Quote Originally Posted by kypfer View Post
    I simply could not reasonably get all I want to out of just one ukulele (without forever changing strings), hi-G, lo-G, banjolele or tuned in 5th's, they all get played regularly and all have a very different sound and a different repertoire
    Although I have have had more Ukuleles than I have now, I couldn't see not having a collection that gave me a choice of 'voices' to choose from. Each of my instruments have something unique about them and being able to use the best voice for a particular piece of music gives me a lot of joy.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Satin Box Maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

Thread Information