Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fingering for notes

Default Fingering for notes

Okay, this may be obvious to some, but as a new player trying to teach myself I would like to know which fingers are used to play which notes. For example, I have a book that gives examples of notes for each string. It shows me all the notes to play C, F, and G major scales and several easy songs. I completely understand the notes and how to find them. I can play the scales and the songs with no problem, but how do I know if I'm using the correct fingerings? I have a chart with all the notes on the fret board, and I can easily read music well enough to play in any key as I've played piano for several years. I just haven't found any information that tells me which fingers to use. Surely there is standard fingering?

https://coustii.com/ukulele-chords-beginners/

Some of the basic ones are here.

Not sure about the E chord fingering they have listed there though. I use my pinky rather than my ring finger. That would be a hell of a stretch.

Thanks for the response, Gammo, but I'm still confused. The link you sent shows chord diagrams, but not fingering for individual notes. Maybe I'm missing something here. I'm not sure. I'm so new at this that I'm not getting it. I can read tabs for the uke and play simple songs, but still I'm not sure if I'm using the correct fingering for the notes.

The numbers tell you which finger to use. Eg. For the F Chord you use your 1st and 2nd fingers.

The fingers used for each note entirely depend on the notes that come before and after... To equate it to piano, do you only play middle C with your thumb?

image hosting services

In this case, I use right index finger for C (3rd fret on 1st string).

When I first learned to play a guitar I was taught to play notes on the first fret with my first (index) finger, notes on the second fret with my second finger, and notes on the third fret with my third finger. Then you maintain those same relationships if you are playing in the second or third positions up the neck. I still play notes that way on the guitar and the ukulele. Of course it's not hard and fast depending on what you are playing and particularly if you are adding slides etc.
    http://www.karaukey.com - Ukulele Karaoke - Ukulele Backing Tracks - Strum Class
    http://www.meetup.com/ukulelians - Gold Coast and Hinterland Ukulele Group

I think I did not understand the meaning of the OP's question before KaraUkey.

I think KaraUkey is right. We use the finger like the figure below.

free photo upload

The reason is ukulele and guitar employe perfect 4th tuning. It changes the strings perfect 4th intervals which requires 4 (i, m, r, p) frets.

We have a thread, which explains the reason.

Thanks, everyone. It does make more sense now. I think I can work it out with each piece I've been playing. I was just guessing on the fingering, but I was much closer than I thought.

Thread Information