Thoughts on the newer Martin 3K's?

yook

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a newer model Martin 3K. Any Martin 3K owner's care to chime in on how they like it? Would you rather have a Kiwaya KMS-K or the 3K? Unfortunately there isn't one locally for me to try.

I have both and I like them both very much. I like the color and glossier, satin finish on the Kiwaya a little better, but I like the diamonds and squares on the Martin fingerboard, (having the Martin name on the head doesn't hurt either). My KMS-K has a 1 piece top and back, so that's a wash for me, (I believe that most KMS-Ks have a 2 piece top and back). They both project well, play great all the way up the neck and both have a classic look. The Martin has a thicker and nicer Ebony fingerboard, so your fingers don't tend to get as close to the top as when you play the Kiwaya. The Martin is a little heavier, but that is probably due more to the thicker Ebony fingerboard and thicker head than anything else, (I use a Uke Leash, so the added weight is not a negative for me. Ebony is very dense and heavy). Martin doesn't make a 3K any more, so unless you find new old stock, you'll be buying used. If new, the Kiwaya will probably cost more than a used Martin 3K. Neither come up for sale very often, so it seems that their owners are satisfied. I know that I love both of mine, but in my opinion, my Laughlin 3K is better and more true to the vintage Martins then either the Kiwaya or the Martin, but even harder to come by. I don't think that you could go wrong with either if they are in very good or better condition.

Thanks for the input! How does the KMS-K compare to the KTS-7? And yes, seems like you are correct on the satisfied owners comment. I did a search in the Marketplace and the KMS-K was only put up for a sale a handful of times here. Lots of postings for the KTS-7 though.

I would hate to be without a KTS-7. It is very warm and balanced. The build is about as good as it gets. There are many more KTS-7s around, so more used as well. You have to use more finesee with Koa, but rewards you a little more too. Both Kiwaya ukes have a nice, vintage sound. The Laughlins are even more vintage like, but very hard to find.

There is a used but very good condition Laughlin 5K at Elderly. Last I saw they were asking $3K for it. I think they'd take $2,800. I had offered a bit less but they wouldn't get to my price point. That particular Laughlin is unusual in that it is a two piece top. Laughlins are typically one-piece tops to be consistent with Martins. Tim made a few two piece tops for family members (with wood he could not get one piece out of) and also sold one to a gentlemen who is local to him. That is the one now at Elderly. The reason I know all this is because I had a chance to buy it from him for $2K before he sold it to Elderly. At the time, I had never seen or played a Laughlin in person. Woulda, coulda, shoulda... ;-)

At much lower price points I have a new Martin 2K and a Kiwaya KTS-5 if you're interested. PM me for details. (I also have a vintage 2K in the market place).

Eddie

Last edited:
A little correction. The Laughlin at Elderly is a 5K. The only used Laughlin 3K that I have ever seen for sale is the one that I bought. I don't see any new offerings for Laughlins on Elderly's web site anymore. I don't know if Tim would do a custom build. He is a nice guy and to me, they do not get any better than his. The finish even smells and feels vintage. The only ways to can tell them from vintage Martins is they have his stamp and they have a better build quality than the originals.

You are of course, right, @django. It is a 5K. Think my fingers were already to the price and I typed $3K. I edited my post to correct the typo. The 3K's were a much lower price point.

They must've just taken the Special Order for new Laughlin's down recently. I'm pretty sure it was there a week or two ago when I was last looking at things on their site.

Best, Eddie

OP my thoughts are that Guitar Center should keep one new 3k in stock at each store. It would help me to try before I buy. The orders would help Martin. And it could draw new customers like Martin guitar guys and collectors.

I played my Martin 3K last night. Mine was built in 2013 and has opened up nicely. I feel that the tone has become more complex and it doesn't fade away as you play up the neck. It projects well and is very expressive. I would have a hard time figuring out which one of my herd to give up if I had to. The Martin 3 Cherry is also very well balanced and resonant and worth considering. Mine is a little odd because it has what appears to have an Ebony fingerboard and the wood is more of a Rosewood color than most of the photos that I have seen on others. I won't know what to think of the Martin Mahogany 3 until I get me Centennial, but if the Kiwaya KTS-7 and Laughlin Mahogany 3 are any indicator, I will like that one just fine. I love the style of the Martin 3 ukuleles, and the fit and finish of the Kiwaya and Martin are both excellent. It's a tough decision and II am probably not helping. I guess that is part of the reason for my herd, I love them all.

The Laughlin 5K at Elderly would be my first choice. If you can swing it you would probably never desire anything better, (I'm not sure that there is anything better). If you could get it for $2800.00 it seems that that would be a bargain. A lot of money, but I don't think that you will never find anything better. Having a Martin 5K already, I cannot justify it, but if I didn't have the Martin, I would have a third Laughlin. If I could only have one, it would be my 5K.

Last edited:
I appreciate your thoughts on this Django! This is a really hard decision... I'm trying to decide between the KMS-K, Martin 3K, or KTS-7. Based strictly on playability and sound (ignoring price and resale value), which of these ukes do you prefer?

I appreciate your thoughts on this Django! This is a really hard decision... I'm trying to decide between the KMS-K, Martin 3K, or KTS-7. Based strictly on playability and sound (ignoring price and resale value), which of these ukes do you prefer?

It depends on the day and my mood. The KTS-7 is the most forgiving of the group and has great playability and tone, (nice looking too), The KMS-K takes a little more finesse, but is still fairly forgiving and a real pleasure. The Martin 3K has the Martin name and History along with good looks, tone and playability. According to Guitar Center and Musician's Friend, new Martin 3K Ukuleles are on their way, (I have written to Martin for confirmation). In the end, I don't think there is a wrong decision out of the group, so price and availability may help you decide and if you buy used and at a good price, you can always sell and do something different. Personally, I would go for the Kiwaya KMS-K. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

The new Martin 3K's are their Centennial offering. Saw them yesterday at NAMM. List is $2,995. The Kiwaya KMS-K lists for around $1,500. The KTS-7 for $1,100.

I have not owned a KMS-K but have played two briefly. I could not discern playability differences between them and any other KTS model (I have had several and currently have a KTS-5), but @Django has spent more time with them so I defer to him.

Shameless plug: You could buy both my KTS-5 and as-new 2K (which they no longer make) for about the price of a new KTS-7. Figure out what you like better, then buy the "big dog" based on your own experience. ;-)

I play Martins 99% of the time , love them , new and old , but the unfinished bridge on the high end ukes makes me cringe . I think that would always bother me.

I just got a Martin 3k, the sound is really good! The sustain is amazing and the uke rings all the way up. The fit and finish are really nice too.
Will record sound samples and do a NUD

I don't know much about this...but from what I've seen, the new Martins seem overpriced.
If I were going for a nice, really nice soprano, I think I'd go with a Timms instead.
Just my HO....

I don't know much about this...but from what I've seen, the new Martins seem overpriced.
If I were going for a nice, really nice soprano, I think I'd go with a Timms instead.
Just my HO....
I happen to own all 4 (Timms, 3K, 3M and a 1927 1K) yes Timms has a really sharp high pitched twang, they are well made, but the sound of the 3K and 3M that I have is what you expect it to be and closer to the 1927 1K Considering a $700 Ken vs a series 3 for around $1.5 as listed is a fair comparison. The fit and finish of series 3 is quite nice, comes with a $160-$200 case.

I happen to own all 4 (Timms, 3K, 3M and a 1927 1K) yes Timms has a really sharp high pitched twang, they are well made, but the sound of the 3K and 3M that I have is what you expect it to be and closer to the 1927 1K Considering a $700 Ken vs a series 3 for around $1.5 as listed is a fair comparison. The fit and finish of series 3 is quite nice, comes with a $160-$200 case.

Ah, I didn't know that!

Top Bottom