Best wound G for tenor?

kafkapenguin

Reaction score
Was just wondering what the general opinion was amongst you veterans out there. Also do people use wound G's on Concerts? I'm thinking of dropping the G on my Concert because I guess I just love that sound. ;)

Was just wondering what the general opinion was amongst you veterans out there. Also do people use wound G's on Concerts? I'm thinking of dropping the G on my Concert because I guess I just love that sound. ;)

You will get a huge response for Fremont Soloist Squeekless wound, and for good reason. I have tried most wound strings out there and this is still my favorite. It can be used as a low G for tenor, concert and Soprano. Just order some.....you will not be disappointed.

I'll second Dave's suggestion: Fremont Soloist Low G it is.

Fourth for the FS. The Thomastik-Infeld CF30 or lighter CF27 polished flatwound guitar string is another good choice for a low G on tenors, but I've never tried low G on a concert (apart from fifths viola tuning), so I don't know how well either would work there. I use TIs for wound bari strings (CF35 and CF30 for D and G).

I've also heard that Southcoast makes some nice polished flatwound strings—recent additions to their product line?

I have tried several, and they all seem about the same to me. The Soloist may be a bit more nasal (my word) sounding than the rest, but it's fine.

The one I continue to buy and use on a regular basis is the D'Addario nyl026w (concert) or nyl030w (tenor) as recommended by Gordon Mayer.

Most of the ones I've tried, including the Fremont and Thomastic Infeld, are described as "squeakless" or polished or smooth... I've come to believe it's meaningless. They all squeak the same amount as far as I can tell. In fact, none of them squeaks less than the D'Addario, the only one not described as squeakless.

I held out great hope for the Aquila low G, Because it sounds like a perfect technological solution to the weight-per-inch/diameter/squeakiness issue. Alas, like so many others, mine broke the moment I tried to bring it back up to pitch on the second day. Seems the texture won't allow the string to slide through the conventional nut easily enough to adjust, when at/near the desired tension. Reason enough for me to never buy another. I suppose Mimo will some day address the weight-per-inch/diameter/squeakiness/texture equation.

Last edited:
I have mostly switched to unwound low g, but I always liked LaBella Classical polished wound guitar "D".

Fremont Soloist another upvote for me

After reading around a lot I'm going to do some experimenting. Just ordered 2 sets of Martins, 2 sets of Living Water, and 2 Fremont Wound G's. My Ukes all have Aquila's atm, and my Tenors have wound G's but i'm not sure of the brands.

cheers

Top Bottom