Song Help Request Help with John King's Prelude (Op. 28, No. 20, Chopin) arrangement

RCASTRO

Reaction score
Hi people,

how are you doing? I'm not quite sure this is the best board to post this, but I hope it is. :) It is about the Prelude Op. 28, No. 20, Chopin, of The Classical Ukulele, by the great John King. I need some help.

I'm trying to figure out what the instructions written by John King about the arrangement of the above mentioned prelude really mean. I can understand what the words mean, but I cannot seem to get what should I really do to achieve the harmonics. I know it is probably a very simple thing and I'm being really dumb asking for help. I'm doing this 'cause I unfortunately do not have the CD with the performances. I received this book as a gift from a north american friend (I'm from Brazil, sorry for my bad english) who used to play the uke and somehow lost the CD along with his interest in the instrument.

So, it reads: "This arrangement relies on octave harmonics to extend the playable range of the ukulele. Octave harmonics are produced by lightly touching the string with the right-hand index finger an octave above the stopped note and then plucking with the right-hand ring finger. Chords with octave harmonics on top can be accomplished by plucking the harmonic simultaneously with other strings played by the thumb and middle finger of the right hand".

Can somebody please enlighten me with some tips?

;) I figured it out guys!! I now it is kinda simple, but I'm proud I figured it out anyways! :p

I wish you all the best,

Rafael

Last edited:
Hey Rafael,

These are also known as "false" harmonics. Check out this video starting around 6:35 to learn how to do them. He is teaching on guitar, but the principle is the same on ukulele.
https://youtu.be/MPiPW4ZfCt4?t=6m35s

Your English is quite good BTW. :)

Hi, Maguwa!

The video explains it pretty well. It was quite helpful! Thank you very much for the reply!

Top Bottom