Votes: 27 50.0%
  • Damaged, but in one piece

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • In two or more pieces

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Unrecognizable as a musical instrument

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
He just said after he suggested they put it in the box, the guy at the counter said "this case its in will be fine." and taped the zipper. That's it. That can't be how they do it :rofl:

Another update - he thought it was a gig bag, but he just sent me a picture of what the case looks like and it looks like a harder shell uke crazy case. So definitely not a gig bag.

He just said after he suggested they put it in the box, the guy at the counter said "this case its in will be fine." and taped the zipper. That's it. That can't be how they do it :rofl:

Another update - he thought it was a gig bag, but he just sent me a picture of what the case looks like and it looks like a harder shell uke crazy case. So definitely not a gig bag.

Ah! There's hope yet! I have my fingers crossed for you!

I second the vote for having some wood glue and spool clamps on hand.

Can you say 'weekend project'? or if beyond feasable repair, then 'wall art'?

I dunno if a canvas-covered hard foam case like the Uke Crazy cases would survive being crushed by something heavy. Maybe bumps and drops from a low height would not inflict too much harm.

Hopefully the handlers will see that is an instrument, and not toss it around like the airlines did in that 'United Breaks Guitars' video that was so popular a few years ago.

Since it is free, I understand your being hesitant to complain, but I am always surprised by how careless some folks are, and I would have specified proper shipping and packing instructions in advance.

Worst-case scenario is that you can file an insurance claim, but the onus will be on the sender to prove that it was packed properly.

I second the vote for having some wood glue and spool clamps on hand.

Can you say 'weekend project'? or if beyond feasable repair, then 'wall art'?

I dunno if a canvas-covered hard foam case like the Uke Crazy cases would survive being crushed by something heavy. Maybe bumps and drops from a low height would not inflict too much harm.

Hopefully the handlers will see that is an instrument, and not toss it around like the airlines did in that 'United Breaks Guitars' video that was so popular a few years ago.

Since it is free, I understand your being hesitant to complain, but I am always surprised by how careless some folks are, and I would have specified proper shipping and packing instructions in advance.

Worst-case scenario is that you can file an insurance claim, but the onus will be on the sender to prove that it was packed properly.

Yeah I should have given instructions, but he went out and did it randomly weeks after we discussed it. And the fact that since it was free, I didn't want to be a bother.

He literally told me he went in, with just the gig bag, didn't put it in a box and the guy at the desk told him he wouldn't need a box and it would be fine haha. I have no idea how you send something like that without a box though, maybe some shipping wrap type deal? No idea at all. I guess I'll see in a few days.

I don't think you can put this on the Post Office Kyle..you are really reaching now but I am sure you will try....:) good luck I hope it makes it......if broken you will never get the ins. money.....might take you a while..but good luck anyway...:) Btw the Post Office does not wrap or pack boxes...the shipper is responsible..just to save you some time....haha

oh I just read the whole thread...I change my vote..good chance it will make it...Big difference between a gig bag and uke crazy case.....good luck!!

Last edited:
Poly foam case by cordoba if so should be a good chance it comes in one piece. There's a lot of sudden Gforces that can come with blunt impact when the thing gets tossed around at the circulation depot it may be in one piece but check for hairline cracks and loose braces or such.

I don't think you can put this on the Post Office Kyle..you are really reaching now but I am sure you will try....:) good luck I hope it makes it......if broken you will never get the ins. money.....might take you a while..but good luck anyway...:) Btw the Post Office does not wrap or pack boxes...the shipper is responsible..just to save you some time....haha

oh I just read the whole thread...I change my vote..good chance it will make it...Big difference between a gig bag and uke crazy case.....good luck!!

I definitely don't want to blame the post office. I don't 100% believe that the guy at the desk would say that, because I've sent out tons of things and I've never even heard of that. It's more my friend blaming the post office and I'm just relaying the information to you guys. I'll keep everyone posted and let you guys know if it makes it. I have faith.

I voted undamaged - positive mental attitude, maybe it will be handled with care by music lovers all along the chain. Every worker thinking, because of inadequate packaging it needs special care. Makes me all warm'n'fuzzy just thinkin about it.
Maybe every ukulele lover in the post office will unzip the case and play a fine solo and the uke will star on YouTube as it makes it's way across the continent, this could be awesome

Last edited:

First off Kyle thanks for being a good sport and having a sense of humor. Good news about the uke being in a hard type case, glad I read the complete thread before voting. I vote no damage...........karma will reward your good attitude.

First off Kyle thanks for being a good sport and having a sense of humor. Good news about the uke being in a hard type case, glad I read the complete thread before voting. I vote no damage...........karma will reward your good attitude.

What kind of person would I be to get mad when someone wanted to do something nice for me? I mean sure I wish he sent it better, but I'm grateful, so whatever happens, happens, so why not have a bit of fun with it. It sure seems like I'm a mooch who gets free stuff a lot though haha, I swear I don't ask for all of these things!

I saw a similar thread on a bicycle forum some years ago, with an argument that went along the lines of .. You're better off not wrapping it at all. Reason being the shippers will see it for what it is, will realise it's just too delicate just to throw around and will therefore treat it kindly.

Having said that, I have faith your ukulele will be fine regardless. In my experience most things sent through the mail etc, arrive ok. The exceptions are the ones we remember, but they're not so common. I am, you might have gathered by now, an optimist. :D

I saw a similar thread on a bicycle forum some years ago, with an argument that went along the lines of .. You're better off not wrapping it at all. Reason being the shippers will see it for what it is, will realise it's just too delicate just to throw around and will therefore treat it kindly.

Having said that, I have faith your ukulele will be fine regardless. In my experience most things sent through the mail etc, arrive ok. The exceptions are the ones we remember, but they're not so common. I am, you might have gathered by now, an optimist. :D

I never thought of that. But now I'm worried about the possibility of it being stole right out of the case :(

I had a similar experience several years back. I bought an fairly pricey 8-string bass from a guy, and was shocked when it showed up at my doorstep (from a cross-country trip!) in nothing but a soft case with a UPS tag tied around the handle. The good news? The bass was absolutely fine and I played it for many years without issue. Even the case wasn't much worse for wear from the trip.

I can't promise the same will be true of your uke, but here's at least one example of the instrument showing up unscathed. (That being said, I DON'T recommend shipping stuff that way!!!)

I had a similar experience several years back. I bought an fairly pricey 8-string bass from a guy, and was shocked when it showed up at my doorstep (from a cross-country trip!) in nothing but a soft case with a UPS tag tied around the handle. The good news? The bass was absolutely fine and I played it for many years without issue. Even the case wasn't much worse for wear from the trip.

I can't promise the same will be true of your uke, but here's at least one example of the instrument showing up unscathed. (That being said, I DON'T recommend shipping stuff that way!!!)

So they CAN ship something in it's original case with just postage on it. Very strange, but I'm glad to hear yours worked out.

Once I was totally shocked when I bought a K-brand uke from a well known Hawaiian retailer (not HMS) and they shipped it using just two layers of bubble wrap and shipping tape (no box or anything else). Luckily it was in a hard case and neither the uke or case was damaged.

So, I'll bet your uke arrives fine (unless it was shipped parcel post).

The uke is here. My friend is unbelievable... It's definitely in a gig bag sooooo if anyone wants to change their vote before I open it, now's the time hahaha

Gunna need some wood glue. The neck is detached a bit from the body.

The uke is here. My friend is unbelievable... It's definitely in a gig bag sooooo if anyone wants to change their vote before I open it, now's the time hahaha

Yeah.....gig bag changes everything. Less protection than a diaper, sorry about the situation over all. I agree with Hodge some pictures would be nice.....well maybe not nice :uhoh:

Top Bottom