Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fingernails vs fingers

I try to let my fingernails grow and I try to keep them trimmed and shaped, but over time the strings wear them into odd shapes. I have that strumming technique where I wave the three fingers of my strumming hand up and down over the strings. My index fingernail on my strumming hand is almost always flat. I trim the edges to round it off sometimes. My middle fingernail gets a groove right in the middle of it and my ring finger wears on one side. Anyway, I just do the best I can with caring for them, and if I can get a little added something from them, so much the better I guess. But another aspect is that I do a lot of mechanic work, which has a whole different set of fingernail issues that I have to contend with as well.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I have very weak nails and have been going to Lilly's nails for 8 or 9 years now. I get acrylic gel nails on the index, bird and ring fingers of my right hand. I started doing this on the bird finger only for clawhammer banjo, but it made guitar fingerpicking unbalanced, so I added two more fingers. Susan, the person who does my nails, knows exactly how I like them, so about a millimeter is visible from the palm side.

Quote Originally Posted by Camsuke View Post

Thanks for that. The sound coming from my playing is about 866% better now that I am aware of using both the fingerpads and the nails! Also playing around with where I strung and pick (at the neck)

I practice martial arts, and I have to keep my nails short for safety. I know that my uke playing would sound better with a few longer fingernails, but I can still play using my pads, so that will have to do for me.

Quote Originally Posted by robinboyd View Post
    I practice martial arts, and I have to keep my nails short for safety. I know that my uke playing would sound better with a few longer fingernails, but I can still play using my pads, so that will have to do for me.
    I hear you. I work in the hospital and need to keep my nails trimmed too, for infection control. I recently have let my right thumb and first fingernail grow a little more though, but not too much more, just enough to get more of a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Camsuke View Post
    I'm basically a thumb player but this video really opened my eyes! Thanks for posting.

cheers
    The Family:
    Ohana Sk-50WG Soprano
    Ohana SK-38 Soprano
    Kala Cedar top Concert
    Kala MGM Tenor
    Mainland cutaway Tenor

Thread Information