Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dropped G on Concert size

Default Dropped G on Concert size

I was just wondering how many of you out there drop the G on your Concerts. And if you do, do you use a wound G? Dropped G tuning just seems the most mellifluous sounding to my ears. Maybe because I like darker tones being a Violist. I tried dropping the G on my Kala Concert, but the string was too flabby. I ordered a wound G to try out. Just curious.

cheers
    The Family:
    Ohana Sk-50WG Soprano
    Ohana SK-38 Soprano
    Kala Cedar top Concert
    Kala MGM Tenor
    Mainland cutaway Tenor

Most folks clicking on the title of this thread are going to be confused by it.

To relieve anyone else of the burden, I'll be 'that guy' LOL...

Conventionally, what you are referring to is called 'linear' tuning, with a low-G, as opposed to 're-entrant' tuning with a high-G.

Coming from being formerly guitarded until I was 'saved' by ukulele, if instead you tell me about a 'Dropped Tuning' this means something a bit different.

There have been dozens of deep threads on low-G string choices over the past year alone.

Might you search for 'Oasis', Fremont 'Soloist' or 'Thomastik' you will locate them, and by reading therein, achieve a massive understanding of the choices available to you, and the way to best apply those choices to your own playing.

Good luck on your journey!
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Nearly all the ukes I play regularly are low G, with Living Water flourocarbon low G concert string sets, that's tenors, & concerts, (plus I used to have them on soprano as well).
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I'll agree with Booli re the confusion

Nevertheless, my Kala concert has a set of Aquila "reds" with a low-G, Aquila code 86U. In my set the fourth (G) string was plain, ie not wound, viz. http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/aq86uredseco.html but I see from some advertisements that this code is also used for a set of strings with a wound fourth ... probably worth double checking what you're actually getting before you buy

Despite the various reports of problems with Aquila "reds" snapping prematurely, I've got these strings, in various sizes, fitted on three instruments and have yet to have a problem

YMMV
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

My new Ohana Cedar toppedTenor refuses to accept a Low G. I've tried several different string types and even used a E string (0.027") to try to get a Low G on it but all have had a boom that overrides the other strings. I even have had trouble with the C string in Hi-g C6 tuning until I used a PhD E string for a C. Even then it has a slight boom.

My Ohana Spruce topped Concert takes a Low G with just a slight boom though? My Caramel Zebra wood Laminate concert likes a Low G just fine and I only use unwound Fluorocarbons.

I use linear (low g) on many of my concert size ukes. I've found Fremont Soloist works well.

Quote Originally Posted by JackLuis View Post
    My new Ohana Cedar toppedTenor refuses to accept a Low G. I've tried several different string types and even used a E string (0.027") to try to get a Low G on it but all have had a boom that overrides the other strings. I even have had trouble with the C string in Hi-g C6 tuning until I used a PhD E string for a C. Even then it has a slight boom.

My Ohana Spruce topped Concert takes a Low G with just a slight boom though? My Caramel Zebra wood Laminate concert likes a Low G just fine and I only use unwound Fluorocarbons.
    So you are using a fluoro 0.027" 'E' string which is intended for the E4 note on tenor, as a low-G, i.e. G3 string. which is 9 semitones LOWER than intended? Um, the BOOM is created by too low string tension and likely your intonation is shot with such low tension.

An UNWOUND low-G on every set or as a single that I have seen for sale if fluoro is either an 0.0358" or 0.0413", like from Worths, Fremont, PhD, and Living Water.

Try using a proper gauge string for the low G since low-G fluoro singles are sold in the brands I mentioned above for about $4 each. Otherwise, you are fighting physics to use an 0.027" unwound fluoro string.
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

And just in case you already forgot about it: for a quick try you could of course simply rearrange and retune your existing re-entrant strings.

Rearrange from GCEA to CEGA and use linear tuning. Might be a bit floppy, but gives you an impression at absolutely no cost at all.
    Soprano Concert Tenor Bass
    Makala MK-S (Baton Rouge SU-BW)
    Kala SSTU-FMCP (ukuMele FC)
    Makala Waterman (ukuMele)
    Firefly Walnut (Aquila)
    Flight TUS50 (ukuMele)
    Flea M-42 (Worth CM-LG)
    Koa Pili Koko Acacia (Aquila CGDA)
    Big Island KTO-CT (ukuMele)
    Blackbird Clara
    Pono MTDX8 (Worth BM) Kala Ubass EM-FS (Aquila Red)

more about all my ukuleles on just.4str.in

Every artist was first an amateur (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

I was wondering if dropped G meant taking off the G string?!
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Yep, I was confused by the "dropped" G - never heard it put that way before, only "low G" or "linear."

I play low G on concert scale, and love the sound - but when I first tried it I *hated* the sound as well as the floppy feel of non-wound low G strings. I probably tried every non-wound low G out there and found them all equally awful. Then I tried a wound classical guitar D string, and loved the sound - but wasn't super fond of the squeak. I lived with it until Fremont came out with their Soloist "squeakless" wound low G, and - it was a match made in heaven! Personally I wouldn't bother with anything else.

Thread Information