Dropped G on Concert size

I have a tenor with a ringy low G as well (same string type, but I bought it and added it later). I noticed that the coils are higher than the string on all the others, but my coils are underneath the low G that I strung. Could this be why it is ringy??

Do you mean the coils of string around the tuning pegs? If so, the coils should be above the string. If the string is at the top of the tuning peg, it could affect the angle of the string passing over the nut and cause problems.

Do you mean the coils of string around the tuning pegs? If so, the coils should be above the string. If the string is at the top of the tuning peg, it could affect the angle of the string passing over the nut and cause problems.

yes, how do I get the coils above the string? Push it downward as I turn the peg?

yes, how do I get the coils above the string? Push it downward as I turn the peg?

I generally hold the string down in the head stock as I wind in initial tension. Once the string has a bit of tension it will wind lower and lower on the peg.

Thanks this helps alot! I tried to restring my tenor, and think it worked. It was a little short though so there were not alot of coils. It works for now and keeps a tune. I don't hear the ringy-ness that I did. It might be my imagination but I think it worked! That uke is going to my brother anyways, so I wont know unless he gives me a visit with it some day.

I have a tenor with a ringy low G as well (same string type, but I bought it and added it later). I noticed that the coils are higher than the string on all the others, but my coils are underneath the low G that I strung. Could this be why it is ringy??

This is confusing. Is the wound string not seated in the nut slot? If so, you need to widen that slot to accommodate the string.

Top Bottom