Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baton Rouge V2T8 Sun series 8 string tenor - REVIEW

Glad you like it Gilles!
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Hello,

Just to let you know I changed the strings (I was somehow disappointed with the stock ones) for a set of Alliance KF. These strings, specially geared towards period instruments, come in a vast array of calibers, so you have to use a string calculator, enter the scale lenght and the pitch you desire, to come up with the proper diameter. But once it's done, and once the strings installed and settled, just wow ! Incredible dynamic range, with a singing quality, and an overall sound that emulates quite well the sound of a baroque guitar. The laminate top, which may sound "lazy" with average nylgut now responds very well, even with hard strumming.
    Strongly recommended !
    Regards,
    Gilles

Nice!
    Interesting - will check them out

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

I just played with this calculator. It may be useful (if it's correct!) http://niskanenlutes.com/stringcalc#...5Y0NguT3M3Pg_E
    Soprano:Caramel CS400A, Makala Waterman Transparent Ice
    Concert:Caramel CC102A
    Tenor:Kmise Solid Mahogany Top, Baton Rouge V2-T8 Sun 8 String
    First Uke: Mahalo U2K Soprano (the one that started it all!)
    Other Instruments: Mandolin, Didge, Harmonica, Bodhran
    Wish List Kala Ka-SLNG

A Ukulele is a way of life, not just for Christmas!

Following these reviews, for which many thanks, I've given in to UAS and bought one.
    For the price it's fantastic.
    After 24 hours I have decided to lower the pitch a tone, and replace the rather intrusive high 3rd (which was even higher than the 1st) with a unison string, and now it's good for melodic passages.
    So far I've found it best for simple, rustic pieces (jigs and dance), but I will give it a full work-out with more challenging (for me) pieces.
    Still facing a steep learning curve, and time is running out.
    Stagg S70-S Soprano, Pono ATD-CR Tenor.
    My new blog: https://renaissance-ukukele.blogspot.co.uk

Nice to hear that Low-G!

Just picked one of these up and am so impressed. Makes a lovely noise even with me playing it, was set up nicely out of the box and looks great too. Think I might agree with the high C but going to play it more before deciding.

Thanks for the review too as that really helped convince me I didn't need to spend more.

This review is dated 29 January 2017, so I assume it's the review that "forced" me to buy one of these. It has a great sound, and for $133 delivered from Germany, it was a bargain. Two other people in my group bought one after playing mine.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Great review, as always. Very informative and reasonably objective. After reading a lot of these reviews over the months, I have only a couple of minor, nit-picky grumps:

1- On bazmaz's videos, he seems to think that banging his thumb loudly on the soundboard somehow adds to the review. It does NOT!. Instead, it sets my ears to ringing since that sound is quite a bit louder than his narrative. I have a lot of ukes and ALL of them sounded 99.99% the same when I thumped them, depending solely on how vigorously they were thumped. The thump tells little or nothing about soundboard quality or thickness. It is theatrics, nothing more.

2- By the way -- has bazmaz ever rated any ukulele below 7 or 6 or 5 (excluding "Value for money")? All the ratings I have seen nestle tightly in the 7+ to 9++ range so that the scale seems, not 1-10 with 1 being the worst, but 7-9++ with 6 being the kiss of death and 10 being an unattainable phantom.
    Last edited by bellgamin; 06-04-2020 at 02:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    Make UU smile: Support the Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    2- By the way -- has bazmaz ever rated any ukulele below 7 or 6 or 5 (excluding "Value for money")? All the ratings I have seen nestle tightly in the 7+ to 9++ range so that the scale seems, not 1-10 with 1 being the worst, but 7-9++ with 6 being the kiss of death and 10 being an unattainable phantom.
    He has rated quite a few between 2 and 6. The ratings seem to rise along with the price. I'd like to see him let us arrange the ukes by name, price, or rating. As an alternative, he could have a listing starting with the highest rating and going down to the lowest.

https://www.gotaukulele.com/p/ukulele-reviews.html
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 06-05-2020 at 12:51 AM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information