Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble Moving the Middle and Ring Fingers

Hi there. Check out this exercise from a UU teacher (Matt Dalberg-all his videos are really helpful).

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=5fxbpQGVLts

It's called the 'caterpillar' exercise and may be perfect for what your trying to achieve. I turned to it as I have very little control of my pinky, so this has helped.

Hi, Shobo! I see your trouble with ring and pinkie. I am teaching ukulele to my friend he has same problem.

The trouble with ring finger and pinkie happens mostly when they come in front of middle finger (See the figure below). The left figure shows G7 chord and right figure shows G chord. We normally have not much trouble with G7 because ring finger is behind the middle. This location is common and usually seen in our life. But G chord style is not common which the ring finger comes in front of middle finger.

images hosting

I am teaching my friend last 4 month. He is doing very good. He still have a trouble with chord change of G. My suggestion to him is repeat G shape.

Quote Originally Posted by JMort847 View Post
    Great tips! I have trigger finger in my left middle finger and a surgically-repaired left index finger. While playing the ukulele help them limber up, these ideas will really help!
    I also have trigger finger in my left middle finger. Playing and stretching helped me a lot, but I also got a lot of help from taking Cod Liver Oil. I take 1 1000mg capsule a day. My trigger finger no longer "clicks" when I bend it, and is almost straight rather than concave as it was when this condition started. Good Luck
    DEPENDENTS:

In order of age:

Martin C-1K Concert, C Re-entrant Tuning 4/2014
    Pono MTD-CR Tenor C Linear Tuning 6/21/2016
    Ko'olau Model 100 Tenor C Linear Tuning 7/27/2018
    Kamaka HF-2 Koa Concert C Linear 6/26/2019
    Cocobolo Concert #433 C Re-Entrant 2/3/2020
    Martin S1 Soprano, C Re-entrant Tuning 3/19/2020

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic68 View Post
    Hi there. Check out this exercise from a UU teacher (Matt Dalberg-all his videos are really helpful).

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=5fxbpQGVLts

It's called the 'caterpillar' exercise and may be perfect for what your trying to achieve. I turned to it as I have very little control of my pinky, so this has helped.
    Thanks for the video! This is really helpful

I'm also having some similar problems on moving my ring and little fingers together, especially when trying to play the chords using all four fingers, like Cdim, Fm7, Fmaj7, etc. Those just give me nightmares! Any advice/exercises?

6530 Trask Terrace Alexandria, VA 22315 Telephone: 703-283-8298

Quote Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
    Following Dan's great advice (which you can obviously practice anywhere you are) you should then do the same practice while holding the ukulele. Here piano movers near me cheap company G&J Moving. The easiest string to start with is the A string (assuming reentrant GCEA tuning) -- pluck it without a finger on it, then place the first finger on the first fret and pluck, then the second finger on the second fret and so on with many repetitions (keeping in mind Dan's advice not to strain the muscles) of 0-1-2-3-4-3-2-1-0-1-2-3-4-etc. This also has the added benefit of getting your picking hand and your fretting hand to work together for good tone. Once you have this working fairly well you can add an excercise where you keep your 3rd finger down and then add the 4th finger and keep placing the 4th finger and then picking it up, plucking with your right hand all the time, in a 3-4-3-4-3-4-etc. pattern to strengthen independence in your 4th finger.

thank you!

This fellow helped me out a lot.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peQ7QYZeIqs
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

This fellow helped me out a lot.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peQ7QYZeIqs

Oops, I'm sorry for the double post. I think UU is a bit wonky today....
    Last edited by Nickie; 02-21-2020 at 10:30 AM. Reason: boo-boo
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information