Six-String Opinions

SteveZ

Reaction score
Lately, the uke which seems to be getting tte lion's share of playing time has been the Lanikai tenor 6-string. I have it tuned CgGDaA and it has been great on everything from reggae to rock to country ballads. Are others with 6-string ukes finding these instruments to be this versatile or do 6-string ukes fsll into the category of "got one, but it's a novelty"?

I had an Ohana and never played it. I tried fingerpicking it a few times and thought it was weird. It didn't feel right to strum either. It was a solid, dark, drab looking wood. I don't remember what kind. Anyway, i traded it for a beautiful, glossy Kala eight string which i really like a lot.

The difference in the strings just felt weird to me. :eek:ld:

I like the 8-string, too. There's something about the multiple-string sound that's pleasing.

I use a flat pick and it has made playing the 6-string smoother.

I have a lovely KoAloha six-string, but I never just feel the urge to play it like my other ukes. I also have a Kamaka eight-string, which I prefer the sound of and have played more in the past, but when carrying space is limited, I almost always opt for a regular uke for its versatility.

If I only had one uke, and it had to be a six/eight string, I'd commit to eight and make it work. And I love to listen to musicians who have made the choice and stick with it.

The bigger problem I've found during the ups and downs of my collection and UAS is that it's a lot harder to offload a high-end six or eight string because it's often an "experiment" instrument for uke players, and why buy a high-end uke that you aren't sure you're going to play?

I have a lovely KoAloha six-string, but I never just feel the urge to play it like my other ukes. I also have a Kamaka eight-string, which I prefer the sound of and have played more in the past, but when carrying space is limited, I almost always opt for a regular uke for its versatility.

If I only had one uke, and it had to be a six/eight string, I'd commit to eight and make it work. And I love to listen to musicians who have made the choice and stick with it.

The bigger problem I've found during the ups and downs of my collection and UAS is that it's a lot harder to offload a high-end six or eight string because it's often an "experiment" instrument for uke players, and why buy a high-end uke that you aren't sure you're going to play?

Good point! My 6-string came via a trade of comparable value. It's a relativrly inexpensive instrument to which I have added a pickup and tuner/preamp (a DIY project). I see it as a keeper because of its uniqueness. The same with the 8-string which is a <$100 item that also has seen DIY upgrades.

I have a KoAloha "Imaikalani" 6-string. I use it for strumming only and the sound is haunting and terrific. It's definitely not a daily player, but it is a keeper. Fell in love with the sound of a used 6-string that I didn't love. Chased around the Big Island trying out other, lesser brands, then got this from HMS. It's for those times when you just need something different.

kamaka Lili'u

I recently acquired a Kamaka Lili'u 6 strings with traditional tuning.
I am rather disappointed especially by the strings and their strong tension.
I have already tried 4 different brands but the problem remains and makes difficult to play it.
I hope to find the right tensions because the instrument is so wonderfull.
I had bought a simple Kala to try first, before you buy THE KAMAKA.
There is no big diffrence especially for playability, of course the sound is much better for the Kamaka.
I thought it would be my definitive instrument, no and I am not sure to keep it in the future.

I've had a great Mya Moe 6 string and now own a Barron River 8. Both great instruments but very different, can't be compared. The 8 reminds me of the 12 string guitars I've played but the 6 is a unique instrument. Played with other instruments ( other ukes and particularly guitars) it fills a sonic gap that is very intriguing.

The instrument that plunged me into the uke was a 6 string Lanikai. I eventually got another 6-string Lanikai, which is my standard player. It's my most played uke, because it is always within arm's length in the office.

Lately (6 years in), I find myself playing a 4 string more often, but still love that Lanikai 6-string sound. I have considered 'upgrading' to a more expensive 6 string, but dang it, the Lanikai still scratches the itch.

Top Bottom