What is your favorite, most-played uke brand?

Most played: Martin C1K. It does everything so well: Feel, sound and appearance. It has been solely responsible for me putting off more expensive higher-style model purchases despite wanting to move up to style 2 offerings new or old.

I like my ohanas now. Not sure if it is anything but the fact it is rosewood cedar. Distinct tone when practicing the Tarrega

My allegiances have shifted slightly as of lately: I'm playing Kiwayas mostly. I happened to come into two of them (soprano and concert, both mahogany) at about the same time, and I am amazed at what nice instruments they are. They don't get a lot of mention in the United States, I'm guessing because they are so hard to come by here, so - figured I should show them some love in this thread.

My allegiances have shifted slightly as of lately: I'm playing Kiwayas mostly. I happened to come into two of them (soprano and concert, both mahogany) at about the same time, and I am amazed at what nice instruments they are. They don't get a lot of mention in the United States, I'm guessing because they are so hard to come by here, so - figured I should show them some love in this thread.

A second Kiwaya? You have been on a shopping spree! :)

My only Kiwaya first-hand experience is the Famous FS-5G, and I really like that one. The playability is quite amazing, and it's super light. My other surprise was the aNueNue Moon Bird that came out of nowhere for me and that is wonderfully built and feather light, with huge projection that I only heard from KoAloha concerts before. I think it's good that more brands offer high quality ukes in the $700-1k range.

It's curious. When I started getting more serious about ukuleles, I was sure that the holy grail for me would be Hawaiian ukes. Now, a few years in, my two favorite ukes are not only not made of koa, but they also come from Australia and Taiwan/China. :) I sold the Hawaiian ones (the KoAloha and the Kanile'a) that I had, but still would like to get at least one Hawaiian K brand uke again at some point.

A second Kiwaya? You have been on a shopping spree! :)

My only Kiwaya first-hand experience is the Famous FS-5G, and I really like that one. The playability is quite amazing, and it's super light. My other surprise was the aNueNue Moon Bird that came out of nowhere for me and that is wonderfully built and feather light, with huge projection that I only heard from KoAloha concerts before. I think it's good that more brands offer high quality ukes in the $700-1k range.

It's curious. When I started getting more serious about ukuleles, I was sure that the holy grail for me would be Hawaiian ukes. Now, a few years in, my two favorite ukes are not only not made of koa, but they also come from Australia and Taiwan/China. :) I sold the Hawaiian ones (the KoAloha and the Kanile'a) that I had, but still would like to get at least one Hawaiian K brand uke again at some point.

As I used to say when I was a kid and I walked in the front door after school with a new puppy or kitten: THEY FOLLOWED ME HOME!!! Ukes have a way of finding me when I least expect it, and usually when I can least afford it. But everything always works out.

I'm intrigued by that aNueNue of yours. I'm hoping one will turn up in a local shop so I can see for myself, but aNueNue seems to be kind of like Kiwaya - easier to come by in Europe than in the US.

I do really like the sound of koa ukes. But I also really like the sound of vintage mahogany ukes, although I don't really want to deal with the tuners and cracks and other issues that tend to go along with vintage. I'd say my Kiwayas are a good middle ground - they're the first modern mahogany ukes that I've encountered that had the sound, playability, and simple looks that I like.

Kiwaya. I like my others almost as much, but playing the Kiwaya is like putting on slippers after a day in heels. I'm not sure why, but I think it may have to do with the size of the body. Slightly bigger and slightly slimmer than the Timms, light as helium, it's always somehow just right.

As I used to say when I was a kid and I walked in the front door after school with a new puppy or kitten: THEY FOLLOWED ME HOME!!! Ukes have a way of finding me when I least expect it, and usually when I can least afford it. But everything always works out.

You've still been exceptional in your restraint (especially for a regular here with all the exposure!) and focused in your approach to new ukes. So many years with the same ones, and making some adjustments based on that body of experience is really very reasonable. You're still my Sensible Shopping Hero!

I'm intrigued by that aNueNue of yours. I'm hoping one will turn up in a local shop so I can see for myself, but aNueNue seems to be kind of like Kiwaya - easier to come by in Europe than in the US.

I need to get my self-confidence in shape and do a recording with it. It's really an amazing instrument. I experimented a bit with strings and like the aNueNue Clear Water strings even better than the Black Water ones it came with. The gauges are minimally different, but that seems to make a difference. Maybe it's just perception as new strings are always great. The downside of aNueNue strings is that I can't get them locally, so I have to buy them in the UK at $10 a pack, but oh well, cheaper than too much experimentation and more efficient. One of my resolutions for this year is to mess around less with my ukes and play them more. That is not going too well so far, but it's only April! Here's an unlisted video by aNueNue of the Moon Bird concert:

You've still been exceptional in your restraint (especially for a regular here with all the exposure!) and focused in your approach to new ukes. So many years with the same ones, and making some adjustments based on that body of experience is really very reasonable. You're still my Sensible Shopping Hero!

Took me a while to get there (I think I re-homed 6 ukes in my first two years). Lack of space, lack of funds, and the fact that I'm often at a shop and around other uke players so I can try things out in person helps.

The tone of that Moon Bird is so clear and crisp - exactly what I like :)

That Moon Bird is beautiful. Great playing in the video, too.

Honestly, vintage Martin tenors have become my go to uke. Once I played a couple of those, my search was over.

For me - my most owned and played, mainly because I think they have the best balance between price and quality is Pono.

But that's just me.

I own more expensive ukuleles and I own cheaper ones. Some of them are individual favourites - but all round, it's Pono for me.

That is interesting. Can you share some points as to the Ponos?

It's not just you. I have some ukuleles, including customs, that cost more than my Pono, yet my Pono is easily the best-quality construction of the bunch.
Build quality - superb.
Playability - excellent.
Tone - wonderful.
Visual appeal - not curly koa, but still very beautiful.
The gloss finish remains mirror smooth and I have had this ukulele about 10 years now.

I just can't say enough about how much I love playing my Pono.

Currently, my Mainland spruce top Baritone.
All time, my Gretsch Clarophone banjolele.

Currently, my Mainland spruce top Baritone.

Do you have any video of yourself playing it? I've been curious to hear those ever since I saw them on the Mainland site.

I love all my ukes, but I have to say that for sheer noodling draw and easiness to play, I love my Kala KA-STE-C Tenor. It sounds good, the neck feels good, the fret spacing is comfortable and it sounds great through my Yamaha THR5A amp. I record with it and it does the business. Now, I love all my other ukes, from the Kala UBass, through my Noah Monkeypod Concert, to my amazing Rob Collins Sapele Soprano. I am thinking about a pickup for my soprano, if anyone has any ideas for a decent one at a reasonable price, I'm all ears :)

My Kamoa E3 tenor and my Kala solid acacia 8 string tenor are definitely the most played. The Kamoa is my play by myself for the sheer joy of playing uke (though every time I play in front of people I get a ton of compliments on the sound). The a Kala is what I go to for a full sound to strum or pluck out a pretty melody for others to hear. The doubled strings and all solid wood construction make it really sing.

For me I guess it keeps changing as my uke stable changes. Since I my recent purchase, I now mainly bypass my Koaloha, Kamaka, and Kala to cradle my Hoffmann ML. Maybe it's the smell of the glue... It's like an addiction!

I can hear the scoffing, but my go to uke is my Godin Multiuke (Koa top) and I usually play it unplugged. Among others, I have Kanilea and Martin Koa tenors and they do sound wonderful, certainly better unplugged than the Godin, but for sheer comfort and playability the Godin remains my favourite, especially for noodling and learning new songs.

Top Bottom