What is your favorite, most-played uke brand?

My Mainland Mahogany Concert with MiSi. It is my workhorse, and I use it for just about everything. I don't take it to the beach or out sailing, just because I don't want to expose it to the salt, but otherwise it is the one that I play. The Makala goes boating and down to the beach.

My most played is a Kanilea k1 Concert, I love the sound but I just can't get used to the width of neck or physical size, therefore it gets played all the time.
All the others are sopranos and really they are my favourites but which one is the favourite,
I love my Kamaka HF1 it's so mellow,
I love my Imua it's gorgeous to look at, sweet toned and each string really sounds out.
Then theres anything made by Kiwaya, love that mahogany vibe. i've collected five or six over the years currently have three :eek:

Hey Willsoften, does the Kanilea have a significant size difference from your others? I have a Kamaka and it works well. Was wondering if I would like a Kanilea, or if it would be too wide for me?

Probably not. I find 1.5" to be just perfect for a uke nut width.

As I have two each from Collings, Kinnard and Hive, they are my three favorites.

Hey Willsoften, does the Kanilea have a significant size difference from your others? I have a Kamaka and it works well. Was wondering if I would like a Kanilea, or if it would be too wide for me?

The Kanilea is a concert all the others are sopranos.
The body size (I've been told is slightly wider and deeper than many other concert ukes) the neck is 38mm wide at the nut. It just doesn't for me have the same comfort level as a soprano.

When my collection of custom ukes grew, my choice of what to play was always quite spontaneous. Even when my collection was larger, I never favoured one for a long period of time. A few weeks yes, but then the particular gifts of another would call to me like a siren from the shore and I would gladly reacquaint myself with that particular instrument. If my financial and storage volume situation were different I wish I still had them all.

The ukulele I play most is a butler music lu21p special that cost me under 40usd shipped I think. Worked on the nut and saddle and the intonation is great. Gets dramatically more play time than anything else probably because it's always available. I keep it on a hanger near the kitchen.

Now I would really like to try out a concert islander. I hope it could dethrone that lu21p with wider nut and hopefully just long enough scale for picking on the higher frets..

Last edited:
I'm always looking for a soprano (not long neck) that has a ton of frets. Always impressive on construction and intonation of those and will always practice or use those more so than a standard 12 or 15 fretter.

I love that my loprinzi has 19 frets total on a standard 13.5 inch scale but just recently noticed that a kanile'a k1 basic model soprano has even more..21. Wow.

No-one else has mentioned "Brunswick" ... my tenor and baritone are definitely my most-played ukuleles, the tenor tuned re-entrant hi-G, the baritone is tuned in fifths, GDAE, an octave down from a mandolin/fiddle.

ukes.jpg

Two curvy blondes :music:

I have a couple of high end ukuleles at the house I always play. However, when I am talking to someone who wants to get a ukulele, I always recommend a flea. They are the best bang for the buck. Put all the bells and whistles on one, and you still have an amazing instrument for a reasonable price.

Easy....my concert size customized Cocobolo Ukulele. I usually don't put it down till my fingers are sore. It's hard to stop playing it, then when I do, it's hard to stop looking at it.

Kala cedar top tenor for me.
I have others but the Kala suits me perfectly and I play it every day.

Gonna change my Kamaka strings to compete with my Koaloha. They are sitting right next to each other. I think the Koaloha has a nicer feel- smoother gloss finish, but maybe it's the strings that make me pass the Kamaka. Maybe this will even up the score a bit...

My new crush is my Kiwaya KTS-6 soprano. Never expected to be a soprano convert, but it plays so easy and sounds so sweet, I haven't touched anything else for days.

Up until 2 weeks ago I would have said Martin, as the Martin C1K was my only ukulele. Now that there is a new soprano Flea in the house, that is getting the most play.

definitely Flea or Fluke because I leave them out on the floor next to the couch, always ready to go at a moment's notice.

Pono AC concert with a K&K pick up. Acoustic or amped it's a good sound and its a great bang for the buck (or pound or euro )

Top Bottom