Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Tunings?

Default Open Tunings?

I found this Uncle Raggy vid about Open D tuning on a Baritone (DGBD) and began to think about it, me being an Old Geezer and all.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxMk1qb32lU

I had tried Open Tuning and a slide some time ago but didn't do much with it. However I thought that Open C might be a way to explore my spruce topped CK22 which was tuned GCEA. I don't play it much, focused as I have been on Tenors and Baritone. so I detuned to GCEg and tinkered a bit.

Raggy makes the point that if you aren't making mistakes, you aren't learning much. He also makes the point that Open tuning is about playing by ear. I learned very quickly that 0000 is a C, 2012 is a F, and 0234 is a G! Wow, this was pretty cool! 2222 is a D and 4444 is an E! OMG!

Do any of you play open tunings?

I use open tuning on some of my ukes and, of course, banjos. It didn't take long to get usta it. I guess it depends on what ya wanna do with it. If you chord a lot, many of the chords are easy-peasy, but some aren't. I like it a lot.

You can get open chord charts on the internet. I think I would use gCEG.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE- Fingerstyle
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerstyle
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA (5ths) Fingerstyle

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I use open tuning on some of my ukes and, of course, banjos. It didn't take long to get usta it. I guess it depends on what ya wanna do with it. If you chord a lot, many of the chords are easy-peasy, but some aren't. I like it a lot.

You can get open chord charts on the internet. I think I would use gCEG.
    I did that a few times, tuned the A string down to a G. It is fun to mess around with. It isn't as easy as it looks though. I tried using a slide, and it didn't work very well. Using my finger as a bar and sliding it worked better, but I have not spent enough time with it to be very good at it.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I've been messing a bit with gCEG, open C, using a slide for bluesy stuff and also playing Wake Up Little Susie Everly Brothers' style.
    I think, if I did more of this, that I would use a low G. There's not much point in having the unison Gs and sometimes I want to go down below the C.
    I also have tried gBDG, an open G tuning. I'd also like to try this with a low G. Time for a new uke?

I think Uncle Raggy's open D tuning is DF#AD.

I've been playing slack key style using open C tuning and a low G.

My CK-22 is strung Low G so I just slacked off the A string to g. I haven't had time to explore much but it is interesting. I thought I'd try using the side and figure out how to form more chords. I should probably lookup open tuning chord charts, but that might cause me to not make the mistakes that would teach me the key board, so what's the point in that?

Uncle Raggy was using a DGBE Baritone, but I could be in error. I think DF#AD might make my head explode trying to figure things out, so I'll stick with a simple slacking off the A string on a concert. It's taken me a year to switch from g/GCEA to d/DGBE and relearn the chord names. I wouldn't want to get too crazy about this. I kind of wanted to do this as a way to learn the key board better. Next month I celebrate my second anniversary of playing the Uke and I'm still learning the left hand and starting now to learn more right hand.

I don't take Uke playing as a deadly serious thing, but like to explore the different ways to make music as I learn more. I am interested in hearing your observations about playing open tuning.

gCEG. i have sometimes heard referred to as Low G taropatch and used for slack key style ukulele

The first published (1915) ukulele instruction book uses a linear open G tuning DGBd. I've recently been playing around with a soprano in this tuning. I like it.

http://ukulele.space/lib/exe/fetch.p...ntos_nunes.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by geetee View Post
    The first published (1915) ukulele instruction book uses a linear open G tuning DGBd. I've recently been playing around with a soprano in this tuning. I like it.

http://ukulele.space/lib/exe/fetch.p...ntos_nunes.pdf
    This is 5 string banjo tuning minus the thumb string. Often the plectrum banjo is tuned either DGBD or CGBD, although some treat the plectrum like a tenor, CGDA or GDAE with a long neck and some also tune it DGBE, like a Chicago tuned tenor guitar/banjo or a baritone uke.

Thread Information