Low G Tuning for Tenor Uke

Status
Not open for further replies.

superp84

Reaction score
Hi Folks!

I have a potentially silly question.. I want to get my ukulele tuned to a low G (wound) string because I like the sound. I will get a more knowledgeable friend to do it for me, but I was wondering, do I need to buy a full set of 4 wound low G strings, or just the 1 wound 4th low G string? (amazon gives me both options)

My uke currently has aquila nylon strings.

Sorry if this does't make sense. I'm just not sure if I need to swamp the whole set of 4 out or not?

Thanks so much!
P.

You can just change the (4th) string. Rub the tip of a pencil into the nut slut as lubricant.

Occasionally, a low g string may be boomy compared to other strings in a set, but normally it isn't a problem. Sometimes, but not always, the slot in the nut is a little too small on some ukes. Deepening it is kind of permanent. The diameter of any given string is generally stated on the package or sales listing. I love low g on some of my tenors for a more "guitar like" (I know, it's heresy) sound and when I do, I think an overall mellow string set compliments that, especially with wound 3 and 4.

You will have less problems with nut slot size mismatch if you get a wound low g string. they are smaller diameter. they squeak at first, and are essentially a classical guitar D string [i think], which will also work. I really like the Fremont polished string, pretty pricey at $4 for one string, but they seem to last 4x as long as some other wound strings. You can find them on ebay and I think HMS sells them too. This is not hard to do on your own and something every player eventually will learn to do. probably many youtubes on it for every style bridge.

I put low G on my soprano and concert, not only do i prefer the sound when strumming chords but I also like that I can go below middle C when picking out a melodie,

I've used both this Fremont Soloist wound low G string
http://www.theukulelesite.com/accessories/strings/fremont-strings/fremont-soloist-polished-low-g-ukulele-string.html

and this Tomastik-Infeld flat wound low G string.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/accessories/strings/fremont-strings/thomastik-infeld-cf-30-flat-wound-low-g-ukulele-string.html

To my ears, the T-I string blends in a little better with fluorocarbon E and A strings, especially if you also use a Tomastik-Infeld flatwound C string, but I have gotten great sound out of both low G strings, and one of my ukes is still strung with a Fremont low G.

Last edited:
My experience is opposite of mds725's and I felt the Fremont Soloist fit better with Worth Clears, but I think it's very close and may well depend on the specific instrument. I did like the TI strings too. Definitely try both and see which you prefer on your ukulele. (I wish Fremont made a wound C string also.)

Hello all,

I put a guitar D string d'Addario hard tension composite J4604C as a low-g on my tenor, it blends perfectly with the new Aquila Carbon black. But I like low- sounding tones and I tune a third minor below standard pitch (E-A-C#-F#) so I don't know if this quite hard hard tension would be suitable for a G-tuning.
Hope this helps,
Gilles

Guitar D-strings are quite often recommended for low G on a tenor, as they work well and are easy to buy anywhere as single strings. The advantage of the Fremont Soloist is that it doesn't squeak under the left hand ( I don't know about the Tomasstik-Infeld flat wound one).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom