Song Help Request Songs of Protest and Social Action

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Is there any books or on-line collection of protest/social action songs annotated for uke that a group can play/sing together?
Or mebbe one of you have already marked the page numbers/titles of the best ones in the Daily Ukulele book?

Complete aside, but our little local group of GLBTQ uke players, the Homoleles, is off to a splendid start...

I generally just find my songs somewhere on the internet by just typing the name of the song, typing in chords, and then ukulele. I find lots of sites that way, and I can't say where I found individual songs, I find them all over. But as far as protest songs that I have found on the internet I'll list a few.
This Land is Your Land.
If I Had a Hammer.
Blowing in the wind.
Where Have All the Flowers gone.
One Tin Soldier.
Nowhere Man. (Not really a protest song in itself, but sort of describes some people in charge these days.)

That's off the top of my head right now.

A few come to mind:
Ohio by CSN&Y, an anti-establishment song during the Vietnam era
Taxman by the Beatles, a protest against the 95% tax rate in Great Britain
Eve of Destruction by Barry McGuire, anti-war song
A Hole in the World by the Eagles, an environmental protest song

Some more suggestions:

I Fought The Law
For What It's Worth
Imagine

Good luck with your group :)

Get copies of Rise Up Singing, and Rise Again. They have lots of social movement and protest songs.

-Kurt​

Is there any books or on-line collection of protest/social action songs annotated for uke that a group can play/sing together?
Or mebbe one of you have already marked the page numbers/titles of the best ones in the Daily Ukulele book?

Complete aside, but our little local group of GLBTQ uke players, the Homoleles, is off to a splendid start...

I've uploaded my songbooks on a web site. There's one that's titled Protest. There's a Woody Guthrie songbook. In the Folk songbook there are
some Pete Seeger songs. The Irish songbook (as well as the Scottish) have some too...
Details here: http://vonbiber.byethost17.com/ukulele/songs.html

I've uploaded my songbooks on a web site. There's one that's titled Protest. There's a Woody Guthrie songbook. In the Folk songbook there are
some Pete Seeger songs. The Irish songbook (as well as the Scottish) have some too...
Details here: http://vonbiber.byethost17.com/ukulele/songs.html

Hey, thx. I see the link to Woody Guthrie, buy not the "Protest" collection....?

U2

The Clash

Mission of Burma

In 2012, A canadian political science professor offered this list of post-1970 political protest songs
http://newanthems.blogspot.com/2011/01/anthem-leonard-cohen.html
No chords there, just a wonderful list with lots of detail, history and links to video. I am sure you can find the chords easily on Chordie or Chordify.

Also any group with the name Homoleles should def consider the Two Nice Girls song "I spent my last ten dollars on birth control and beer". Personal protest with a smile! That song cracks me up.

Funny, but not really,...that 2012 seems like a very long time ago in terms of activism. Life was simpler then...Yikes Does anyone have a list of protest/activist songs from 2012 to 2017?

Top Bottom