Season 261 of the Ukulele.

Season 261. Submission #1. "Widow With A Shawl" (Written and recorded by Donovan, 1967)

First, thank you, TCK, for the phenomenal spirit you've generated with your opening post, celebration of UkeyDave (oh, do I wish I got here sooner so I could have known him!), and warm-spirited support of us all. Thank you!

And now, a few things. First of all, Dave, I'm involved with a couple of collabs so you'll see me around a bit before the week is out.

But today, I need to tell you a bit of a story. I woke this morning and started rooting around for this song, and I don't know why. I've never sung it before and I haven't heard it in ages, but I did have the lyrics and chords in an old campfire songbook I put together. I went to the Tube and listened to Donovan's recording and knew immediately that I had to do it.
And I immediately knew why.

Here is my Valentine to all those who have been separated from their lovers. And, Dave, I kid you not - they were all with me on this one. I did not sing alone.

So, my friend - my first post this Season and it's going to seem as if I'm the only one singing. And it's going to seem as if the uke wasn't prominent. And it's going to seem as if I didn't pay attention to any of the things you said you wanted. But I did. Honest. Thornton rule? Please. But if I need to move this, please just say. Believe me, I'll understand.

And so.... my Valentine to those separated from their loved ones. They were with me on this one.

Last edited:
Here is a response: from Liz Wheeler!
Elizabeth Wheeler: Side By Side

Second call for Collaborations. This is a good sing along.

SIDE BY SIDE, Gus Kahn & Harry Woods, 1927.
Key of C.

[C] [C7] [F] [F7] [F] [G7] [C]

Oh, we [C] ain't got a barrel of [F] mon-[C]ey,
Maybe we're ragged and [F] fun-[C7]ny,
But we'll [F] travel along, [C] singing a [A7] song, [D7] side [G7] by [C] side.
[C] Don't know what's coming [F] to-[C]morrow;
Maybe it's trouble and [F] sor-[C7]row,
But we'll [F] travel our road [C] sharing our [A7] load [D7] side[G7] by [C] side.

[E7] Through all kinds of weather, [A7] what if the sky should fall?
Just as [D7] long as we're together, it [G7] doesn't [Gdim] matter [G7] at all.

Well [C] they've all had their quarrels and [F] part-[C]ed,
We'll be the same as we [F] start-[C7]ed,
Just [F] traveling along, [C] singing a [A7] song, [D7] side [G7] by [C] side.

[E7] See that sun in the morning? [A7] Peeking over the hill?
I'll [D7] bet you "Sure it always has [G7] and it [Gdim] always [G7] will."
[C7] Well that's how I feel about someone. [A7] And somebody feels about me
We're [D7] sure in love with each other and [G7] that's the way it's [Gdim] gonna [G7] be.

[C] Oh, we ain't got a barrel of [F] mon-[C]ey,
Maybe we're ragged and [F] fun-[C7]ny,
But we'll [F] travel along, [C] singing a [A7] song, [D7] side [G7] by [C] side.
[C] Don't know what's coming [F] to-[C]morrow;
Maybe it's trouble and [F] sor-[C7]row,
But we'll [F] travel our road [C] sharing our [A7] load [D7] side[G7] by [C] side.

[E7] Through all kinds of weather, [A7] what if the sky should fall?
Just as [D7] long as we're together, it [G7] doesn't [Gdim] matter [G7] at all.

Well [C] they've all had their quarrels and [F] part-[C]ed,
We'll be the same as we [F] start-[C7]ed,
Just [F] traveling along, [C] singing a [A7] song, [D7] side [G7]by [C] side,
[A7] [D7] side [G7] by [C] side.[C][C]

Season 261. Submission 2. "We'll Sing In The Sunshine - A Duet With Linda Louden and Turtledrum" (Written and recorded by Gale Garnett, 1964)

Linda Louden has not been feeling well. But she didn't want to miss out on this great Season. While she wasn't feeling well enough to play along or contribute one of her fantastic vocals, she was able to play harmonica on this one with me. Hope you feel better soon, Linda, and thank you!

Happy Valentine's Day! :)

Hi, Dave. Thanks for the special invitation in your opening post. I will try to get back into the Seasons in your week.

Meanwhile, I thought of you when I was in Glendale CA last week and saw this...

accordion.jpg

Hey all,

I posted an "auxiliary" entry for these season over in the Seasons of the Ukulele Facebook group. It's a 3-song FB live video from a rehearsal last night with one of my bands, The Poorhouse Pickers. The songs are: "Four Strong Winds", "Razor Love", and "Helpless". I don't know how to pull it out of Facebook to post it on YT. So if you're a member of the FB group, please check it out there. I did record a separate video to post here. Hopefully I'll get it posted before the week ends.

- FiL

Go to the group, then in the url bar replace "www" with "m". This will force it into the mobile version of the site on your desktop. Click on the video so it begins playing, then hover over the video with your mouse and the play bar will appear at the bottom. On the far right is a download symbol. Click on it to download the video. Direct link to the video is below.

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=4b368e2282a2e7a5aa792c2a2fad629e&oe=58A3F592

Sure hope you can make it Ginny...but any season will do, we miss ya. What a GREAT sign!!!! We will have a song when I come to Glendale to steal it ;)
Hi, Dave. Thanks for the special invitation in your opening post. I will try to get back into the Seasons in your week.

Meanwhile, I thought of you when I was in Glendale CA last week and saw this...

View attachment 97829

Another night of Ukulele bliss (I practiced my darn accordion all night and now my back is KILLING me...), thank you folks. Huge smiles here in the 'Dale as I listen to your music.
I do love that you all seem to know that a song is most important to me...because it is. Thanks for all of them, the old and the new. We have hit 22, which is not a lot of work for a host, not that I am complaining. Seems the challenge of the challenge affords me time to enjoy the product (and play my heavy accordion). In any event- keep them coming gang!
OK- My thoughts on today's submissions.

Austin1 - WHAT? I did not even think to include you in the original post because it has been so long!!!! So excited we get Tina and the needy cat and a beautiful song from a land where people who are female can't sing...that is so weird to me. In any event, thanks so much for coming by this week- we have missed the heck out of you. Hope this finds you well (other than not being allowed to sing in public) and that your life's trajectory is right on course!

NotanotherLinda - Another one that belongs really in the last season I hosted (though I am chuffed it is here)- 122...when I made everyone play a tribute to another Seasonista. That said, this is fantastic tribute to BEV, we do dearly miss her, and I hope she feels the love pouring out of this week for her. Excellent addition to the tune for sure, thanks for bringing us another great BEV song.

Turtledrum- In the short time that we have gotten to know each other, it seems you have figured me out pretty well. The one thing I have not done to these poor folks is make them tell the story...WHY are you playing the song, because that emotional place can be uncomfortable for some folks...more uncomfortable than playing with someone else I reckon. Clearly not an issue for you, and thanks for bringing me the story. I love the story most of all.
I hear a thousand voices in this- you leave this beautiful sound right where it is, and thanks for playing it for us.

Turtledrum and Linda Louden I have had the distinct pleasure of collaborating with LL...she was so easy and added so much to the song, so yeah, I am sucked in here. It is such a great song (another I had long forgotten about...you are good at bringing those back ;) ) and this is a fantastic version. Perfect playing, singing and chromatic harp? In any event, it is truly awesome...but I want to hear you both sing it just because of the song it is and what I know it will be. Get better Linda and add those vocals down the road OK? Thanks so much for bringing this to the week. I really want to play that song we played for you because you may have not seem it and I think you will like it.
Wait- I am the host....

Jazzbanjorex OK- first you are playing one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE songs...I know I say that, but I think I played this one for Season 32, and have played it three times a week since then.
Second, you are KILLING it on a cigar box (is that the Finn...the volume is incredible).
Third- you have earned the right IMHO to play whatever you want whenever you want.
and Lastly. A dog. If there is a dog, anything goes.
Hi Eddie! Excellent stuff here Rex- thanks for playing it for us. Sounded so great on that uke, and another of your brothers paintings for a backdrop. Perfect.

FIL- Get your song over here! Seen any good birds lately?
Tommy, give me something I can watch mate…I am not going anywhere near Facebook. We don't get along.

Thanks folks...like the Grinch, I am often a testy old git. I think my heart is getting bigger.
"Colleagues and friends condescend with a smile,
But this is my culture man, this is my home."-Frank Turner.

Last edited:
This was recorded last night at The Minster Inn, York. We meet there every Tuesday night. Last week there were ten of us, this week six. Next week who knows? A big thankyou to Ginnie & Bob, plus Heather (obscured by Bob) and Val & Janet (out of shot on the left).

Well, it's been a while, but I think I'm going to have to jump in here with my good pal from Cloverdale and make something happen this week. I've got a couple of ideas for new videos.... hopefully at least one will work itself out. Here's something from the vault, though.... was this really over five years ago?

Not sure how many of these folks are still around, but this sure was a fun project.....

Neil Young's "Too Far Gone"

Go to the group, then in the url bar replace "www" with "m". This will force it into the mobile version of the site on your desktop. Click on the video so it begins playing, then hover over the video with your mouse and the play bar will appear at the bottom. On the far right is a download symbol. Click on it to download the video. Direct link to the video is below.

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=4b368e2282a2e7a5aa792c2a2fad629e&oe=58A3F592

Alan, thanks for the tip! Your link didn't work, but I was able to download the video. Before I post that one, here's my first entry, playing Neil Young's "Too Far Gone" with The Poorhouse Pickers. No time for video polish, but we do have dogs! :)

- FiL

"Four Strong Winds / Razor Love / Helpless"

And here's our three-song Facebook live set fro Monday night, which starts out a little rocky, but then settles in:

1) "Four Strong Winds" (Ian & Silvia)
2) "Razor Love" (Neil Young)
3) "Helpless" (Neil Young)

Turned into a very mellow set, but by this point it was getting late. Even the dogs were pooped!

- FiL

I'm enjoying the contributions I have seen so far, but I have a gawd awful cold that has settled on my throat and chest and kept me parted from my singing voice since Sunday. So, I doubt I am going to get a song in for this week :(.

This couldn't have come at a worst time, because I am due to sing in Madrid on Friday and Saturday evenings as part of the Commemorations of the Battle of Jarama (80 years ago this month). It was my chance to be on the same bill as one of my heroes: Andy Irvine.

I form part of the Intergenerational Brigade - a group of musicians dedicated to keeping the memory of the Republican sacrifice and ideals alive and I had written two new songs especially for the occasion. I am hitting the herbal remedies (and the propolis) like crazy and the pain has gone down. But I can't sing a note yet. Fingers crossed for me, please.

I LOVED working on that Seasonistas Anthem, Bill!
You did an amazing job setting up the format for creating matchable videos, then getting the voices and extra instruments worked in at the right places.

Those Seasonistas are cool chararacters.

What a great time we had in Cloverdale! We did the silliest video ever and shot the bestest accordion photo ever!

So this one's for you, Dave & Mel, the wonderful Cloverdale Couple :cheers:

Here's one my oldest son and I just threw together. I'm in awe of his abilities, he can grab any instrument and play the heck out of it. "But, mom, you can sing and play at the same time, so your better" he says, awe!

<TCK> "Hey McKinley...you been playing your ukulele?"
"Not so much. My sister tuned it and it does not sound right."
"If I fix it, will you play a song with me?"
"Yes."
"Can we make a video of it for my friends and put it online?"
"Yes"
"Will you ROCK?"
"Well...yes"
"OK- You are my sunshine?"
"Yes, but it really sounds best if I sing it alone."
"I can live with that."

She was so excited while I was doing tutorial that she kept coming to my door and looking at my like "Dude...we have work to do!"
Anyway- me and one of my first grade buddies bringing you the goods. Still at work- can't wait to see what you all have done tonight!

Top Bottom