Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you abuse your ukulele?

Default How do you abuse your ukulele?

I take reasonably good care of my ukuleles. I have two of them that I play regularly, one is my Makala that goes to the beach, camping, and on bike rides, and the other is my Mainland that does everything else. Now the Mainland gets a lot more attention than the Makala, which makes sense. The Makala gets beat around, it gets sand in it, it occasionally gets rained on, and I got to say that, except for rusty tuners that still work fine, it looks pretty darn good after three hard years in the salt air. So I read lots of threads where people are looking for an indestructible ukulele to "beat around", and people who enthusiastically recommend some plastic or carbon fiber ukulele that is inexplicably proven indestructible. Now I have seen the Waterman video where the young fellow is paddling with his Waterman, and while quite impressive, I've never had the urge to paddle my canoe with my ukulele, and frankly one could do that with any ukulele, if they were willing to sacrifice it for a marketing video. So my question is, just what do people do with their ukuleles that they have to have these indestructible plastic or carbon fiber ukes, or is that just a marketing image? I guess I'm wondering if there really is anyone out there paddling their canoes around with their ukulele? Anyone sit in the surf and let waves break over them while they play? Anyone using their ukulele as a flotation devise, and if so are they using a Coast Guard Approved ukulele?
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I have the Outdoor Ukulele Tenor. It lives in my car, and when I go camping, it lives in my travel trailer or boat. All vehicles experience extreme heat and cold. I just have to tune it up and it is good to go. (If it stayed in my house I would only rarely have to tune it.)

It goes with me to our local uke meetup and to various grandkids houses. It is a perfect young kid instrument. All the grandkids play it. They are are schooled on how to handle it properly, but.....it has had drool, snot, vomit, mud, and various food residue all over it. I just wipe it down with a wet washcloth. They also are fascinated with tuning it, so the tuners get a workout when I am not looking. When they play it, they have been known to pull out on the strings instead of a standard strum. Every time I get it back from them, I am amazed at how indestructible it is.

When I camp, it is subjected to humidity, smoke, sweat, bug spray.

When I take it fishing, it is subjected to fish scales, worm goo, and drenching in water when there are errant waves.

Again, a wet washcloth cleans it up just fine and it plays like a champ.

Here it is on Lake Erie on a really hot day when I first got it, and about 18 months later on a pretty cold camping trip. Except for the addition of a sticker, it looks and plays the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by actadh; 02-14-2017 at 04:15 AM.
    - Laura

I don't mean to abuse my ukes, however, I don't even take 'reasonable' care of them,
    except to wipe down the A-string side upper bout, where it seems to get most of my
    fingernail, strumming 'scratches'.

I also, occasionally try to wipe away the dust that collects near the bridge, under the
    strings, but other than that, and keeping them in their cases, I just take them along,
    take them out, and play them... well the Martin OXK anyway, weekly (Wed and Thurs
    nights - Wed Song Circle, Thurs Class).

I'm glad my ukes are sturdily built and made for daily use, and designed, for the most
    part, to be user-friendly and low-maintenance

Thank you Luthiers and manufacturers!
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@seattleschools.org )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

I don't abuse people, dogs or ukuleles!!!
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    I don't abuse people, dogs or ukuleles!!!
    I've abused both people and dogs...with my ukulele.

I lazily permit mine to collect dust. Worse than that, though, I play them poorly (though I'm trying to get better) and not often enough.

Seriously, my biggest worry is my cat; I'm amazed he hasn't yet tried to figure out if he can destroy them.

Whether you let them collect dust or collect sand&water, it is just how we use them. I think the word abuse is the wrong word here.
    If I intentionally or carelessly keep my solid wood uke in the car all day during blazing summer or leave it next to the fireplace during winter , that is abuse!
    All for sale; pm me:

Brand new Loprinzi Honduran mahogany soprano w new hardshell case. $350 -> 325

I can't soak in a nice hot bathtub with a drink and a wood uke floating next to me, or play a wood uke while standing in the shower...unless I want it ruined. I choose to not take even my laminates hiking, camping etc because despite them being more durable than a solid, temp variances can still cause warping, glues to weaken, tops/sides to loosen up etc. Also, just because I CAN beat the crud out of a laminate compared to a solid, doesnt mean I want my laminates any more dinged up and scratched them my solids. My Outdoor uke solves all of these issues. While I dont foresee myself "needing" to use it as a paddle in a canoe...it can be thrown over my back while hiking, banged into trees, dropped on the ground, floated in the bathtub, dropped in a lake on accident, left in my car when its 105 degrees or 16 degrees etc. I even have a paracord strap on it so if im in an emergency situation, I have some cord. Even thought about fastening a knife sheath on the neck for outdoor excursions. For me...the fact that it fulfills all of these things means that for me personally, yes...its a need. I wholeheartedly recommend Outdoor Ukulele.
    SOPRANINO: Caramel 17" (zebrawood) "Cecil"
    CONCERT: Gretsch Roots Series G9110-SK (solid koa) "Pearl"
    VINTAGE/ANTIQUE: 1920 Rolando banjo uke "Grace"

I have been known to verbally abuse them. If I play a wrong note I blame it on the uke......you no good piece of........
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Neglect.

Having more than a dozen ukes, some are neglected for a while when out of the rotation.

Neglect is a form of abuse, and being unplayed for long periods of time is one reason of several WHY I am preparing about 7 ukes to be re-homed.

Hence the tag-line next to my avatar.
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Thread Information