Thread: Changing Strings for the First Time

Default Changing Strings for the First Time

Hey, guys,

I'm changing the strings on my tenor uke & I just got a set from Southcoastukes. The strings are in packages labeled 1 through 4, but I have no idea which direction they're supposed to go on the uke. Is #1 supposed to go on the top (closest to my head) or the bottom (furthest away from my head when I'm playing)?

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by _Silly_Me_Sitting_Here_ View Post
    Hey, guys,

I'm changing the strings on my tenor uke & I just got a set from Southcoastukes. The strings are in packages labeled 1 through 4, but I have no idea which direction they're supposed to go on the uke. Is #1 supposed to go on the top (closest to my head) or the bottom (furthest away from my head when I'm playing)?

Thanks for the help!
    #1 Goes furthest away from your head when you're playing. And then just count up from there.

In standard (C6) tuning G, C, E, and A are numbered 4, 3, 2, and 1 respectively. So, #1 is closest to the floor when you are playing. You should also be able to deduce the order by string thickness.

Fantastic... Thank you!!!! I'll change them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by _Silly_Me_Sitting_Here_ View Post
    Fantastic... Thank you!!!! I'll change them right now.
    Be careful, I think most people buy their second uke while waiting for a new set of strings to stretch out.

The first time is always the worst. I have been a musician for 50 years and didn't start with ukulele until I was 45. It took me an hour the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts56 View Post
    The first time is always the worst. I have been a musician for 50 years and didn't start with ukulele until I was 45. It took me an hour the first time.
    Yeah... It took me a good minute. I had to watch a couple of different YouTube videos. But, I got it!!!! Wooooooot!!!! I feel very accomplished.

Congrats, first time is the worst, as sometimes a string will slip. Next time it is no problem at all.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Thread Information