Thread: Fremont Blackline - medium vs hard

Default Fremont Blackline - medium vs hard

I currently have a set of Fremont mediums on a soprano. What would the difference be between those and the hard? Is there a difference in tone and projection or is it mainly in feel and tension?

In my experience I like the mediums better on soprano. I guess depends on which soprano. Yes, more about feel and tension. The 2nd and 3rd strings are same diameter for both med and hard tension sets. Medium set: 0.019, 0.027, 0.031, 0.022. Hard set: 0.022, 0.027, 0.031, 0.023. The strum bark of the Med set seems warmer to me, and easier responding, but I like a light touch. Overall however quite similar.

Thanks for this discussion, guys. I recently read a review of the hards in which the reviewer stated that the hards solved the problem he always had with strings feeling too floppy in the gCEA tuning on a soprano, which is an issue I've had as well.

I've not tried these either, but Worth makes a "Fat" set, which may accomplish the same thing.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

I've only tried them once, didn't seem too much louder to me but I don't strike the strings very hard. I thought I got a clearer sound, due to landing chords more cleanly. Whether due to slightly greater diameters, or the slighter greater tension making it harder to deflect the string, I'm not sure. I got them from lucysukulele (ebay). I normally buy from UK retailers and the harder tensions aren't always available. At the moment I'm in an Aquilla Lava / Worth BM pahse. I do have the Freemont Blackline Mediums on a imua soprano at the moment and they are up for replacement soon. Hmmmm ........
    "I cut it twice and its still too short"

Thread Information