Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pick lovers, haters or the curious...a review for your reading pleasure

Default Pick lovers, haters or the curious...a review for your reading pleasure

Let's start by saying I hate using picks while playing and I know that the majority of uke players don't use them. Even felt picks are harsh and unnatural sounding.

My boyfriend has played acoustic guitar for 20+ years and he likes thin picks, the .5 thickness ones specifically. The other day I ordered him some new ones off Amazon, along with some super thin .38 ones to try. What the heck, only $3.24 for 12.

Just for fun, I decided to try one of these paper thin picks on one of my ukes and WOW! They sound and feel completely natural on the uke strings, almost like your nails and because they are so flexible, they just bend however they need to as you play, with no harsh unnatural sound. I was completely surprised and impressed!

I will never be a regular pick user...I prefer direct contact with my instruments. But for those occasions when you just want to do something different, these are fantastic. I have never in my life used a pick that felt almost the same as using my fingers.

So for the pick lovers, the ones that are curious or even those that have always hated them, maybe give these a try. Dunlop nylon guitar picks, .38 thickness, $3.24 on Amazon. I'm now keeping a couple in my cases just for fun. https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-44P38-...8+guitar+picks
    SOPRANINO: Caramel 17" (zebrawood) "Cecil"
    CONCERT: Gretsch Roots Series G9110-SK (solid koa) "Pearl"
    VINTAGE/ANTIQUE: 1920 Rolando banjo uke "Grace"

I have never been able to get along with picks, but I understand their benefits and why some players prefer to use them on ukulele or guitar. One of the reasons I moved to ukulele was the fact that I could strum without holding a pick (I always had trouble holding a pick) and still get a good level of volume. I think that is one of the strengths of the ukulele. But the ukulele sounds good when played expertly with a plectrum as well. It sounds like you are having fun experimenting.

David

I've never used one. I think that my attitude toward them is that they are just one more thing that you have to have with you once you start using them. I just don't want to get started playing with one and then show up somewhere and feel handicapped because I lost my pick. My whole approach to ukulele playing is to keep it as simple as I can. But just from my observations, no experience to rely on unless you count the two months that I played guitar and used a pick before I discovered the ukulele, it seems to me that picks are restricted to up and down in some sort of rhythm, or maybe picking individual notes. Using a pick pretty much rules out fans, triplets, fingerstyle, and probably a few more fancy dandy right handy work. I don't know how hard it is to chunk with one. But that is just my opinion.
    Last edited by Rllink; 02-27-2017 at 07:05 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

It's never good to be a hater.
    Every tool has a purpose.
    Rob Uker
    RIGuitars & Ukuleles
    One of a kind handmade instruments
    https://m.facebook.com/RIGuitars/

I occasionally use a very thick jazz guitar pick for staccato runs. Sometimes I use different thicknesses of pick, but I like them very rigid.

As I say, I use them sparingly...maybe 5% of the time.

Never cared for the big felt picks.

Just another color to add to the palette on occasion.
    "A ship in a harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

- John Shedd

I just cant get tone control from picks.
    With a finger nail, especially a thumb, there's just more control with how much flesh/vs nail you hit with that I cant get from a pick.

Jake does some explaination/examples in this vid.

discussion about tone around 1:15

I had never used picks, but when my wife took lessons, I got some Dunlop nylon .6mm to help her get into a rhythm that was difficult using her fingers. I play fingerstyle, but on those occasions when I need to strum accompaniment and want a little more volume and definition, those picks work quite well.

John

as an esteemed member once said:
    every time someone uses a pick on a ukulele, a fairy dies.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain goat View Post
    as an esteemed member once said:
    every time someone uses a pick on a ukulele, a fairy dies.
    I was sitting on the fence 'till I read this.

Back to my practice....

I hardly ever use one, but a pick can provide a nice bright tone for specific licks or single-note runs now and then. I like the Wedgie rubber picks for those. They give me a little extra volume and brightness, but without any 'pick click' sounds. These are the ones I like: Wedgie rubber picks. They got 'em in 3-packs as well.
    Last edited by Steedy; 02-27-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

Thread Information