Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758

Thread: my ukulele progress

I have been very pre-occupied with the new job. I haven't had the gumption to make music lately, so I've been taking the coward's way out. I have some sheet music of the song "Sails of Charon" and I have been looking at the guitar solo. Since a lot of solos are played on the treble strings, I can play it on the ukulele although no where near the tempo. So I did that for a while, but it became tedious. I mean...anyone can take a measure of music and play the notes therein. And then add measure after measure 'til you have the song. The trick is to do it perfectly, if that kind of thing floats your boat. It doesn't do much for me. However, the change was instructive.

I finally started to feel stress-free enough to play. I am essentially starting from scratch since I do not remember what I was doing.

I started things off with an idiosyncratic stir fry of eggs, barley, black beans, napa cabbage, and spaghetti squash.

Then I commenced to re-construct what I was doing. I remember I wanted to pivot off my leading tones.

With my favorite little progression I added a D#m7b5 right before my ii-V turnaround. To put it more plainly, here's what I was playing

Eadd9
    A minor (shuffling with an Am add9)
    B minor, walking down to an
    A minor
    D (very hum-drum chord but it stands out because it is the only normal chord and it is non-diatonic)
    D#m7b5
    F#m11
    B7

I played around with the lowest (@fret 2) and highest (@ fret 18) D# dim7 arpeggios

Lastly I experimented around with the D# on the third and sixth frets.

I was basically just getting my bearings once again.

I bought an album called Whisky Sipping Music and so I had to oblige it with some Laphroaig and bitters. I made some dinner: brussel sprouts and black beans with a very spicy curry, and sweet potatoes and rice.

Then I busted out my Kamaka, essentially because I needed to check on its humidifers. It is only a three-stringed instrument, but I thought I would play it nonetheless.

I felt like I had been painted into a corner tonight. Because when I think D#, I think leading tone scale degree. And when I think leading tone, I think Lokrian. So, I felt compelled to play the F# Lokrian 13 and D# Super Lokrian bb7.

I consciously moved away from those shapes. I centered on the A Dorian #11 because therein the D# and E are sitting on the E string. Those notes are at the top of the Dorian shape and at the bottom of the Phrygian Dominant.

Tonight I was playing the notes that are tight around the D#. Later I believe I will use bigger intervals for melodies.

School is back in session, literally. As I drove to the corner market for my weekly duties as chief officer of my home's commissariat, I saw buses. It is good to be getting back to normal, but I am going to miss the pandemic days in terms of population density. It was nice to be able to drive without dealing with so much idiocy and aggression. Speaking of idiocy, I ran across a merchant at my corner store with a political shirt which said, among other things, don't mess with my religion. First of all, he shouldn't be wearing such a thing in a work environment. At work I wear a white shirt. Secondly, what a load of hypocrisy! So I am not allowed to mess with his religion, but his religion can hard code the opinions of his religion into law, so that we have to follow his religion in terms of things like abortion and social conventions. What a bunch of B.S. If I wasn't so dedicated to my project involving the modes of the harmonic minor, I would do a "voice-under"

A voice under is a term I coined for the practice of writing a little poem stating how unsatisfied I am with a situation. Then you recite the poem and listen to the intonation and pitch of your voice as you naturally recite the poem. Then use minor pentatonics to re-capture that lilt and cadence that you just noticed. And then--Bob's your uncle--you have a great blues instrumental.

I of course played around with my latest fetish, the D#. I don't have anything to write about, because I really didn't do much today. Rather, I didn't do much thoughtfully. I did pivot on the D# and I did move around the fret board with some arpeggios...but nothing to write about.

For chords, I thought I would experiment with some simple progressions but different chord qualities. But after I played my first maj7 chord, I realized I don't really like that sound too much. I went back to what I like. I just grabbed a I-IV-V progression, decided to play it with the harmonic minor vibe (minor, minor, major) and then I spent some time playing Em6, Am7b5, Bsus2 add 6. Yeah, I know a sus2 isn't a major chord, but it is close enough. The m6 is one of my favorite chord qualities.

I focused tonight on the D# on the 15th fret. I didn't do much with it. I made it the end-point for the D# dim7 arpeggio beginning on the 18th fret. I played around with it in the contexts of the G Ionian #5 and I frequently resolved it with the E on the 12th fret. In short, I was just getting my feet wet at this location. I'll see what can be done with it a little later.

I ended up by playing a little bit of blues in G with my ceramic slide.

A very low-key evening after having made some pinto beans with onions and blueberry chevre, some millet, some roasted yellow potatoes, and some collard greens flavored with coconut oil, mustard, lime juice, and gorgonzola.

I saw a series of various posts for a fence which is no longer extant. They suggested to my mind intervals because of their varying heights. The sequence was 4321314. I am going to take some scales and see what those intervals sound like.

Thanks for dropping by; I always appreciate it. Unfortunately I don't have time to do anything right now as I have to go to bed and get up tomorrow for work. I will just describe the posts:

The first four were orderly in the decrements of their height. "4" was the tallest, then "3" was a little less tall, then "2" was a little less, and "1" was the shortest. The 5th post shot back up to the height of the 2nd post. The 6th post went back to the height of the 4th and the last post was the height of the first.

If I took the first four notes of, for example, the G Ionian #5, then the melody of the posts would be C B A G B G C. So after work tomorrow, I'll see how that sounds.

Thread Information