my ukulele progress

I actually felt your presence today because i bought some dried cilantro today and I know that you wouldn't be on board with that.

As for my aged father, I saw that he had called today. I called him back and he had just been trying to re-program his phone with its automated numbers. He had my correct number although my brother had told him he needs to update my number. It was very sad because I called my father and had nothing to say to him. I fell back on my vocational scripts and said "now that I have you on the line is there anything I can do for you?" I think I lost quite a few points in how I see myself as a human.
You could have said, “Now that I have you on the line, can I have your
10-inch cast-iron skillet?” Just joking there, but as an orphan I can tell you this. No matter how much you do for an aging parent, in the end it will never be enough. You will always feel guilty, and think of little things you could have done. I still have a lurking suspicion that I’m responsible for my mom’s growing old and dying.

My husband hates to chat on the phone. He dislikes the lack of extra cues that you get from an in person conversation, and it bothers him a lot. He'll do it, but he struggles. When the other person (e.g. his aging uncle) on the phone doesn't speak at all, or very little, my husband just doesn't cope. So it's hard enough making conversation when you're likely the one putting in most of the effort; I feel it's even harder on the phone because you're not getting that feedback of being in person with them. Don't beat yourself up too much.

I've never used dried cilantro - does it work? I've used dried coriander (seeds from the same plant) and that's effective; I would have thought dried cilantro was about as flavourful as dried basil (i.e. not especially), but then I've not used it so...
I share your husband’s dislike of phone conversations, and that dislike has intensified as my hearing loss has worsened. Many disagreements between myself and my wife have started because I misunderstood her tone / intent in the absence of visual cues, among which is a certain degree of lip reading.

I am definitely not a phone person. I only get medical appointment calls and a few business calls. My daughter calls on Sunday, but we’re not very close anymore. My wife trains me on it’s use almost every time I get a call. That’s a treat.

I recently read an interesting article about this. Of course talking on the phone sucks and it sucks for all the reasons everyone has mentioned. But we, as a generation, do what we have to do. We bite the bullet and slog through. Not so much with the younger set. The article I read was mentioning that the younguns were brought up with texting and they are not used to person-to-person communication and they cannot cope. On one hand it is another hilarious laugh at the young ones, but also it is a great cause for sadness because we did this to them. We sanctioned the helicopter parenting and the play-dates and the mass school shootings.

My husband hates to chat on the phone. He dislikes the lack of extra cues that you get from an in person conversation, and it bothers him a lot. He'll do it, but he struggles. When the other person (e.g. his aging uncle) on the phone doesn't speak at all, or very little, my husband just doesn't cope. So it's hard enough making conversation when you're likely the one putting in most of the effort; I feel it's even harder on the phone because you're not getting that feedback of being in person with them. Don't beat yourself up too much.

I've never used dried cilantro - does it work? I've used dried coriander (seeds from the same plant) and that's effective; I would have thought dried cilantro was about as flavourful as dried basil (i.e. not especially), but then I've not used it so...
I don't know if dried cilantro works. I actually could have walked three or four meters from where I picked up the dried cilantro to where the fresh cilantro is located. I am just trying it on a lark.

edit: I just cut a corner off the package and it doesn't really smell like cilantro. It has a vague chlorophyllic smell which all green things have. Also it reminds me of fish food. When I was a child most households had an aquarium and had jars of this stuff called tetramin which was a flake like food that you would sprinkle into the aquarium for the fish to eat. So the dried cilantro smells a bit like tetramin and a bit like chlorophyll.

Last edited:
I acknowledge what you're all saying but I at least think my father should hide it a little better by taking up a hobby
Perhaps his hobby is like my mom's: watching tv, planning her day around tv...

She also curls, so now that it's curling season, it's less of this (except when there's curling on tv)

I burned myself with a 450 degree skillet. It probably wouldn't be so bad for other people, but it is the ring finger of my strumming hand. For most people that wouldn't matter but I have my own distinct way of strumming and my ring finger is my main strummer. So my blister is a bit of a bother.
And I just received two oven mitts and two holders in the mail today. As usual a day late and a dollar short. I tested out the pot holders and I can use them on a 450 skillet (as long as I cover the handles sufficiently. But I now have some new silicon/silicone mitts and pot holders and they work well. They can resist so much heat you can burn your hand taking them off because the exterior is really hot although the interior not so much. They don't buy you a lot of time; the heat does eventually permeate but it gives you enough time to hold a skillet for washing.

Ow. That really sucks. I hope it heals fast. Got any aloe growing in your garden? That's the best for blisters.

I drove a splinter under one of my fretting fingernails a few months back. I actually had to go to the dr to get it taken out, I couldn't stand it.

Glad you got mitts that will hopefully reduce the risk of that happening again in future.

"I at least think my father should hide it a little better by taking up a hobby"

Do I sense a lack of empathy? You said that your Mother died about twelve months ago. Losing a life partner is probably the most traumatic, stressful thing any of us will ever experience. My own wife died, aged 79, just over four years ago. For a couple of years I was just going through the motions. It was at least three years before I actually started to enjoy life again.

I was trying some different things today. For my wife's stir-fry I was going for a fairly different flavor.

• Combined some cooked millet with 4 eggs
  • added carmelized onion, garlic, ginger, basil
  • added chinese cabbage
  • finished with sesame oil and tamari

Then I played a progression which at this point is meterless doggerel. I think it has 13 measures but I'm not sure. As I said, it is doggerel and I essentially played a measure until it felt good to move on and I played it with a lot sauce and accents. Let me try to remember it:

Em7
A9
Em7 | F13
Em7
A9
[one bar riff using C# D# A# A]
Em7 | F#ø
Gm6 | Em7
G#m#5 | Gm#5
B9
A#9 | B9
Em7 | A9
Em7
B+ | C#+
B+

So it appears to be a 15 bar song which has 17 barre chords in it. I got kind of fancy by adding that C# in the penultimate measure. That is the V of V. So while I was moving to the V to create tension for the I I moved to the V of V to create tension for the V.

For myself I made something that turned out to be rather nostalgic. I combined an entire leek, a hashed potato, 3 eggs, pepper sauce, and seasoning. I fried it in a smoking hot wok. And it resulted in something akin to Egg Foo Yung.

I wonder if anyone else remembers Egg Foo Yung. I have never seen it in an actual Asian restaurant but it was ubiquitous when I was growing up. In every market they had one section of one aisle devoted to some Asian and Mexican food. That's where the sophisticates shopped.

Even in New Mexico my local market keeps up that tradition although it is an affectation. There is a "mexican" section but it has what gringos would consider mexican food: flour tortillas, cans of refried beans, tomato based salsa. But a greater part of the market has more authentic mexican staples like chili and tomatillo salsas, corn husks, posole, horchata, and votary candles emblazoned with the images of the Mexican president and the baby Jesus.

Last edited:
Got into a little bit of hot water because of scales today. I had promised to have supper ready at a certain time. I had to make spaghetti squash with an artichoke sauce as well as trout baked with carmelized onion. And I also am supposed to be cooking some porridge at the same time.

However just when I was about to start I watched a piano video and they were playing the dominant diminished scale and I was sucked in. I had forgotten about both that scale and the full diminished scales. As a matter of fact they aren't even on my exotic scales; I have them listed with the normal modes such as the mixolydian and aiolian. I had conceived of them as normal scales. I suppose they are normal if you're a jazz man.

I need to explore them tonight. They are so symmetrical. That will probably be a curse and a blessing. It will be simple as pie to play them but also sounding robotic will be easy.

I was trying some different things today. For my wife's stir-fry I was going for a fairly different flavor.

• Combined some cooked millet with 4 eggs
  • added carmelized onion, garlic, ginger, basil
  • added chinese cabbage
  • finished with sesame oil and tamari

Then I played a progression which at this point is meterless doggerel. I think it has 13 measures but I'm not sure. As I said, it is doggerel and I essentially played a measure until it felt good to move on and I played it with a lot sauce and accents. Let me try to remember it:

Em7
A9
Em7 | F13
Em7
A9
[one bar riff using C# D# A# A]
Em7 | F#ø
Gm6 | Em7
G#m#5 | Gm#5
B9
A#9 | B9
Em7 | A9
Em7
B+ | C#+
B+

So it appears to be a 15 bar song which has 17 barre chords in it. I got kind of fancy by adding that C# in the penultimate measure. That is the V of V. So while I was moving to the V to create tension for the I I moved to the V of V to create tension for the V.

For myself I made something that turned out to be rather nostalgic. I combined an entire leek, a hashed potato, 3 eggs, pepper sauce, and seasoning. I fried it in a smoking hot wok. And it resulted in something akin to Egg Foo Yung.

I wonder if anyone else remembers Egg Foo Yung. I have never seen it in an actual Asian restaurant but it was ubiquitous when I was growing up. In every market they had one section of one aisle devoted to some Asian and Mexican food. That's where the sophisticates shopped.

Even in New Mexico my local market keeps up that tradition although it is an affectation. There is a "mexican" section but it has what gringos would consider mexican food: flour tortillas, cans of refried beans, tomato based salsa. But a greater part of the market has more authentic mexican staples like chili and tomatillo salsas, corn husks, posole, horchata, and votary candles emblazoned with the images of the Mexican president and the baby Jesus.
Leeks- my favorite alternative to onion.

I did my fortnightly visit to the pub for whiskies and poetry. A couple actually approached me as they were leaving asking what drink I was treating so delicately. I told them what it was and told them you would treat it delicately as well if you paid $14 per serving! I never been called delicate before and I suppose they were alluding to the fact that I savor my whisky. I have a tendency to inhale the fumes (since the olfactory is connected to the taste) and then sip a bit. I just take my time since I am abstemious nowadays. I only get whisky twice a month, so I try to make it count.

At the market I bought a red, white, and yellow onion. I probably should have been more methodical because different onions have different textures. However I am going to prep them and try to carmelize them. My last experiment with pressure cooked onions was less than satisfactory. I cooked my onion for 7 minutes and in retrospect they were a bit mushy. It was more like an onion jam. Don't misunderstand, it is still delicious but the texture is off and texture is flavor. So today I am going to pressure cook the onions for 1 minute. As I allude to above, there may be an issue with the different onion varieties. For example, a red onion cooked for a minute may come out differently from a white onion. But only time will tell.

I did my fortnightly visit to the pub for whiskies and poetry. A couple actually approached me as they were leaving asking what drink I was treating so delicately. I told them what it was and told them you would treat it delicately as well if you paid $14 per serving! I never been called delicate before and I suppose they were alluding to the fact that I savor my whisky. I have a tendency to inhale the fumes (since the olfactory is connected to the taste) and then sip a bit. I just take my time since I am abstemious nowadays. I only get whisky twice a month, so I try to make it count.

At the market I bought a red, white, and yellow onion. I probably should have been more methodical because different onions have different textures. However I am going to prep them and try to carmelize them. My last experiment with pressure cooked onions was less than satisfactory. I cooked my onion for 7 minutes and in retrospect they were a bit mushy. It was more like an onion jam. Don't misunderstand, it is still delicious but the texture is off and texture is flavor. So today I am going to pressure cook the onions for 1 minute. As I allude to above, there may be an issue with the different onion varieties. For example, a red onion cooked for a minute may come out differently from a white onion. But only time will tell.
Wow! For $14 per serving, enjoying it is mandatory!

Come to think of it the Greeks and Romans didn’t have whiskey or even beer (?)! You, should be drinking some exotic and expensive Greek (Retsina?) or Italian vino.

Last edited:
Wow! For $14 per serving, enjoying it is mandatory!

Come to think of it the Greeks and Romans didn’t have whiskey or even beer (?)! You, should be drinking some exotic and expensive Greek (Retsina?) or Italian vino.
Sure... but whisky... I'd vote for that, too.

Single malt or blend? I don't have much experience of different varieties, but I am rather partial to Auchentoshan (I've had the 12 and 21 year old malts) and, of course, Laphroig. I'm also rather partial to beers aged in whisky casks.

When you buy a glass of it at a pub, it's pricey. Definitely more economical to have a bottle at home, but then that defeats the purpose of sipping & enjoying in the pub.

I'm interested to hear how your next pressure cooker onion experiment goes. If you cut them up chunkier, would that help with the texture?

For me it is single malt or nothing. I prefer Islay scotches with a spoonful of water to disperse the surface tension and release more aromas and flavors. It would be more cost-effective to buy some bottles...but then I would drink them! I can tell you the moment I felt this was a bad idea. I work from home and I work a job where I have to speak with customers and tell them things that they don't want to hear. I found myself walking to the kitchen for a wee dram before I dialed the phone. It is at that moment when I realized that life offers many, many countless moments per day when one would need a dram. And if I had the availability to partake of a dram every time I needed one, I would quite tipsy all the time.

I actually read an article about coffee about a month ago. The article mentioned that despite all the health controversies surrounding caffeine-drinks, coffee does have one feather in its cap. It sobered the world. Before coffee, everyone was having elevenses and other periodic daily pick-me-ups with alcohol. The whole world was drunk. Now people have coffee/tea whereas they used to have a beer or spirits.

I personally drink decaffeinated mokka java for my daily drink. I do have some cannisters of red rooibos and a mixture of herbs that I use for tea, and I do use them occasionally. However it is the mokka java that I drink more regularly. That, and some water with lemon.

Those are my liquids. If I bought laphroaig, I could easily drink a bottle per week and that's with me being rather moderate: just a dram or two after work and then one before bed. And that's the better part of a C-note...per week. That's a lot of money. That's easily a Moore Bettah uke if the money was diverted from whisky to ukes for two years.

For me it is single malt or nothing. I prefer Islay scotches with a spoonful of water to disperse the surface tension and release more aromas and flavors. It would be more cost-effective to buy some bottles...but then I would drink them! I can tell you the moment I felt this was a bad idea. I work from home and I work a job where I have to speak with customers and tell them things that they don't want to hear. I found myself walking to the kitchen for a wee dram before I dialed the phone. It is at that moment when I realized that life offers many, many countless moments per day when one would need a dram. And if I had the availability to partake of a dram every time I needed one, I would quite tipsy all the time.

I actually read an article about coffee about a month ago. The article mentioned that despite all the health controversies surrounding caffeine-drinks, coffee does have one feather in its cap. It sobered the world. Before coffee, everyone was having elevenses and other periodic daily pick-me-ups with alcohol. The whole world was drunk. Now people have coffee/tea whereas they used to have a beer or spirits.

I personally drink decaffeinated mokka java for my daily drink. I do have some cannisters of red rooibos and a mixture of herbs that I use for tea, and I do use them occasionally. However it is the mokka java that I drink more regularly. That, and some water with lemon.

Those are my liquids. If I bought laphroaig, I could easily drink a bottle per week and that's with me being rather moderate: just a dram or two after work and then one before bed. And that's the better part of a C-note...per week. That's a lot of money. That's easily a Moore Bettah uke if the money was diverted from whisky to ukes for two years.
"For me it is single malt or nothing." I completely agree and have often truthfully stated that I'd be a knee walking drunk if single malt were less expensive.:eek:

Top Bottom