Humidifier for Gig Bag

#4horse

Reaction score
Anybody have a recommendation for humidifiers that will work well inside of a gig bag? I use a Herco and an Oasis inside of my hard cases and they work well for our house and climate. But I'm not sure where I would or could place them in a gig bag. Also, I'm not a fan of humidifiers that hang in the sound hole.

I suspect that the gig bag may not provide enough protection from ambient climate. So, I'm not sure if it'll help.

Anyone with more savvy on this subject?

Everything I've read is they are pointless in anything other than a hardcase.

Everything I've read is they are pointless in anything other than a hardcase.

That was why I chose to go with a fiberglass case- everything I read/researched led me to believe that a humidifier was useless in a gig bag and if your uke needed a humidifier due to a dry climate then to not store your ukulele in a gig bag unless transporting...

I had a uke-crazy foam case before and that wouldn't maintain humidity once the dry winter weather hit...

A well wrung out sponge inside a zip lock bag with holes in it. I agree that a gig bag will not hold the humidity nearly as well as a hard case but will still help.

Mitch

Yeah, it may not be ideal, but better than nothing

You could put the uke in its bag inside of a strong plastic garbage bag or sealed plastic container. Then use whatever humidifier you normally do.

You could put the uke in its bag inside of a strong plastic garbage bag or sealed plastic container. Then use whatever humidifier you normally do.

And, put the humidifier and a humidistat inside the plastic bag but outside for the gig bag. That way you can check on things without opening all the bags (assuming the plastic bag is clear enough to see through).

I have a Brueko soprano with a Cordoba thick gig bag. I use a pill bottle with holes punched top sides and bottom, and a wad of somewhat better quality wet paper towels - think store brand version of Bounty. They need to be monitored and re-moistened often, but this seems to eliminate buzzing.

I keep the Martin OXK in the gig bag it came with. For it, a rubber cello hunidifier over the fingerboard works well. That keeps the Morado fingerboard from drying out, and prevents the frets getting sharper edged. It gets some amused looks when I take it out of the case. My version looks like this and is the white rubber type. It extends from the top of the uke to the soundhole.
humidi+guard+cello+humidifier_r.jpg

There is a smaller Dampit cello humidifier tube that is very flexible and is colored green. I use it for the Silvertone down the sound hole. However, it is in a foam case and with it I also use two pill bottle humidifiers.

I use Aldrine's idea of a Pez dispenser with holes drilled in the sides and wet floral foam. I put it under the headstock in the case. I've used it in a soft bag but need to rewet the foam every day. I own several better humidifiers that came with my high end ukes but have yet to try them. (Not anxious to put them in the sound holes) living at the beach it's not necessary unless I go more inland. If I'm going someplace really dry I take the Blackbird tenor.

Top Bottom