Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just received my Martin Style 1 Centennial Edition!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    It seems that you can order one from Elderly.

https://www.elderly.com/instruments/...on-soprano.htm
    Thank you. I'd seen them on Elderly but I was wondering if there were other places to order where you might get a better price.

Quote Originally Posted by bikemech View Post
    Thank you. I'd seen them on Elderly but I was wondering if there were other places to order where you might get a better price.
    I ordered it through American Musical Supply...price $469.00...it is a standard price!!!
    "Sometimes I can't think of a better day to end my day than coming home and just strumming my Ukulele for a few minutes."

Jake Shimabukuro

Imua IS Soprano: GCEA
    Kamaka Gold Label: GCEA
    Cocobolo Ukulele Tenor #123: GCEA
    Kala Ka-Asac-T8: GCEA
    Ohana Concert CK-250G: GCEA
    Ohana SK-38 Vintage Martin: GCEA
    Ohana SK-28 Vintage Nunes Style: GCEA
    Ohana SK-21A: ADF#B
    Ohana SK-08 Sopranissimo: ADF#B
    Oscar Schmidt Spalted Mango Soprano OU-17: GCEA
    Oscar Schmidt laminated Koa Concert OU-5E: GCEA
    Kahua KA-21 Soprano Laminated Mahogany: ADF#B
    Outdoor Ukulele (Brown Bottle) Soprano: ADF#B

Awesome. From the looks of it, it looks like everything one would want from a Martin!

They look sweet. My only criticism is the fretboard....for a Centennial version, you'd think they could spring for a rosewood board, instead of morado, just to keep it authentic, which they seem to be big on, being Martin, and all. I'm sure it's fine either way, and similar to rosewood, but the premium price (compared to a stock S1), and the Centennial thing seem to warrant a rosewood board, IMHO. Rant over. BTW, I love Martin, no flies on them.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 04-13-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by bikemech View Post
    Jfalconc,

Where did you end up purchasing the Martin from? I am seriously considering this as my next purchase. I have a C1k and I love it but now I find myself gravitating toward a soprano.
    Greetings...I bought it from American Musical Supply
    "Sometimes I can't think of a better day to end my day than coming home and just strumming my Ukulele for a few minutes."

Jake Shimabukuro

Imua IS Soprano: GCEA
    Kamaka Gold Label: GCEA
    Cocobolo Ukulele Tenor #123: GCEA
    Kala Ka-Asac-T8: GCEA
    Ohana Concert CK-250G: GCEA
    Ohana SK-38 Vintage Martin: GCEA
    Ohana SK-28 Vintage Nunes Style: GCEA
    Ohana SK-21A: ADF#B
    Ohana SK-08 Sopranissimo: ADF#B
    Oscar Schmidt Spalted Mango Soprano OU-17: GCEA
    Oscar Schmidt laminated Koa Concert OU-5E: GCEA
    Kahua KA-21 Soprano Laminated Mahogany: ADF#B
    Outdoor Ukulele (Brown Bottle) Soprano: ADF#B

Thank you. Still on the fence...

I love no branding on the headstock (at least the public side). You can go incognito. I sort of like the idea that some probably people think my ukes aren't even as good as a Kala. I'm not sure what that says about me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    you'd think they could spring for a rosewood board, instead of morado, just to keep it authentic, .
    To be honest, since the expansion of the CITES restritions that included rosewood I think you are going to see far far less of it on ukuleles and guitars any longer - just prices them out of international distribution. It might warrant a rosewood fingerboard but that limits Martin on where they can sell them.

The OX series sopranos have already had their fingerboards and bridges changed to Sipo wood (Utile / Sipo Mahogany) to remove the rosewood. Many other brands I know are going the same way - either using Morado, Sipo or Walnut for fingerboards going forward.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    To be honest, since the expansion of the CITES restritions that included rosewood I think you are going to see far far less of it on ukuleles and guitars any longer - just prices them out of international distribution. It might warrant a rosewood fingerboard but that limits Martin on where they can sell them.

The OX series sopranos have already had their fingerboards and bridges changed to Sipo wood (Utile / Sipo Mahogany) to remove the rosewood. Many other brands I know are going the same way - either using Morado, Sipo or Walnut for fingerboards going forward.
    Is ebony CITES-restricted? I haven't read all the posts discussing the restrictions. Makes my head hurt, ouch!

I know the uniformly black ebony is rare, but I don't mind the stripey stuff. In fact, I quite like it. I don't mind any wood for a fretboard, actually. As long as it's hardwood. Maple would be an interesting look against the stain Martin puts on their mahogany.

Now that I own my vintage, I might like a modern Martin one of these days. It would be interesting to compare. Although I'm not sure if anyone has a Centennial left to sell...
    Cocobolo Pineapple #1
    Ohana Sopranissimo
    Maccaferri Islander
    Harmony Soprano
    D. Heilman ULO #7 Concert
    Mainland Cedar Baritone
    Kala Elite Custom Lebanese Cedar Tenor
    Kanilea K-1 SC
    Bonanza Retro Mint Pear Tenor
    Druid Moon Koa Tenor
    Primrose Cedar/Maple Soprano
    Flea Lava Soprano

Cocobolo Cedar Top Tenor
    1933 Martin 1K Soprano

Yes, Ebony is restricted too!
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Thread Information