E is easier than G for my friend

zztush

Reaction score
I am teaching my friend since last October. He is a big guy and has sausage fingers. I taught him D with two fingers (m is middle and r is ring on the figure below). It took not long time at all for him to master D. Then he could play E without any practice. He was still struggling to play G. I heard that same thing was happened to Rllink too. He has big hands and he had no problem with D and E with same fingers shown below.

image hosting without account

Last edited:
You not quite the story for me. I use the middle, ring, and pinkie fingers for both the D and the E chord, and they fit. I kind of triangulate and overlap them a little in the fret to get them in there. I think a lot of the trouble with the E chord is that people keep hearing that it is so hard to do. I learned the D chord, and then the E chord was just moved up the neck two frets. Yes, you have to stick that index finger down there on the bottom string, but come on, that isn't hard. So I considered it another D chord, just in a different place. I didn't find out that is was supposed to be hard until after I had learned it. Lucky me. I have never had any trouble at all with the G. It is the second chord that I learned to play. C, G, Am F. As soon as I learned those four chords I could play some songs, and I considered myself a ukulele player. Everything since then has been frosting on the cake.

Hi, Rllink! I've fixed my figures. I see your fingering is different from my friend. My friend has no problem with G7 but still bit hard to play G.

Last edited:
Have your friend with the meaty fingers use his first finger to barre the three strings for the G chord and then place his 2nd finger on the E string 3rd fret. Trying to use three fingers in that chord can easily be a problem for many people.

Hi, dhbailey! Thank you for your advice. He enjoys to practice G. If he will give up, I will sure tell him your advice.

I give him some more special fingering shown below. These short barres work very good for sausage fingers.

free screen capture

Top Bottom