Bad spelling

Phishing site?

I always have grave reservations for advertisements with bad spelling or grammar. The odd typo in a personal ad can be expected, but glaring errors or misuse of words (their or there, for instance) really put me off. If the wording isn't correct, how good is the product likely to be?

Oh, I've been using that app for a few weeks now (as a temporary solution because I need to buy a new clip-on tuner ). Didn't notice the spelling when I downloaded it. Works ok for me, hasn't caused any problems, doesn't request any unnecessary permissions.

Last edited:
Oh, I've been using that app for a few weeks now (as a temporary solution because I need to buy a new clip-on tuner )...
I seem to keep a lot better track of my cell phone than my clip on tuner. I did buy a uke a while back that has a built in tuner. That is priceless!

Really....last year I received a contract from a remodeler/roofer. It was all in CAPS. There were several spelling mistakes, and even the word Contractor was misspelled. It looked like a 4th grader wrote it.
There were legal issues too, but the spelling was enough to put me off. My attorney got quite a chuckle out of it. Of course, the remodeler didn't get the job.

This one was at a festival I attended last fall.

Ucalaly.jpg

There's so much bad spelling around here I couldn't possibly photograph all of it.
One of the most common errors is putting an apostrophe in where it isn't needed. There are signs all over this place that show stuff like:

TV's
Harley's (short for Harley Davidson motorcycles)
what a bunch of moron's!

My father was a college prof. My BA is in English Literature and my MA is in Library and Information Sciences. Nevertheless, I try not to get too worked up about spelling and grammar.

However...

This one was at a festival I attended last fall.

View attachment 98408

That is too egregious to escape comment. It sounds like a disease! I mean--if you don't know how to spell something, why make something up when all of 5 seconds on Google can clear it up?

There's so much bad spelling around here I couldn't possibly photograph all of it.
One of the most common errors is putting an apostrophe in where it isn't needed. There are signs all over this place that show stuff like:

TV's
Harley's (short for Harley Davidson motorcycles)
what a bunch of moron's!

Ha! That is a pet peeve of mine, I confess. I'm currently in the Florida panhandle, though of course this sort of thing isn't confined to one area of the country. Just steps from my front door there is a series of professionally made signs in front of a sandwich shop that read:

"The beaches (sic) best gyro's(sic)!"-- what exactly belongs to these gyros?

"Mouth watering cuban's (sic)!"-- Cuban's WHAT?

"Amazing reuben's (sic)!"-- What does Reuben possess that is so amazing?

...and don't even get me started on "your", "you're", "our", "are", "there", "their", etc.

Too air is human . . . :eek:ld:

lol!

I will say, though, that early on in their history, I have seen variations in the spelling of "ukulele" including "ukalele." But we're a century on now. Its spelling has been pretty much codified.

As an aside, I do personally say "yoo-kulele" rather than "oo-kulele." It may not be 100% proper, but I think it's acceptable and I prefer it. I love Hawaiian/ Polynesian culture and music, and admire it greatly, but I'm a haole mainlander.

My father was a college prof. My BA is in English Literature and my MA is in Library and Information Sciences. Nevertheless, I try not to get too worked up about spelling and grammar.
I have a BA in English as well. Iowa State University class of 1981. I am the worst speller on the face of the earth. Spell check was like a gift from God for me.

Well, I have a BA and an MA in English too, and I think Spell check is an abomination! It drives me crazy when it changes my words or adds words it's decided upon or won't let me write what I wanna write. I admit that my spelling is a bit shaky too, but I usually ask my wife who has a BA in teaching.

What i really need is an iPad that one can type on without skipping letters and even words. Ahhh, well . . . :eek:ld:

Ha! That is a pet peeve of mine, I confess. I'm currently in the Florida panhandle, though of course this sort of thing isn't confined to one area of the country. Just steps from my front door there is a series of professionally made signs in front of a sandwich shop that read:

"The beaches (sic) best gyro's(sic)!"-- what exactly belongs to these gyros?

"Mouth watering cuban's (sic)!"-- Cuban's WHAT?

"Amazing reuben's (sic)!"-- What does Reuben possess that is so amazing?

Whenever the misplaced apostrophe beef comes up in discussion, I offer the following anecdote. A number of years ago, I perused the charming rustic handiwork of a sign painter in a mall craft display. He would put various witty sayings or custom wording on slabs of natural, mostly unfinished wood with bark still attached.

At one side were some examples of signs intended to be displayed outside people's homes and on mailboxes. They proclaimed The Johnson's, The Smith's, and so on. The signmaker was there, and not otherwise occupied at the moment, so I talked to him and mentioned that the apostrophe was incorrect in those cases. He rolled his eyes as if it wasn't the first time someone had told him that. But his answer surprised me - he said, "I know that, and you know that, but the people who want these signs don't know that! I have tried doing them the correct way, but more often than not, the customer will complain and say it 'looks wrong' and will ask me to put the apostrophe in!"

This was in Ft. Lauderdale in around 1990, BTW.

bratsche

My wife has convinced me that I have to decide between correcting people's grammar and having friends. Her pet peeve is folks who use "less" instead of "fewer". A phrase that has bugged me lately is, "I could care less if . . ."

My sister bought me a mug last year. It's my favourite, not because of what it says, but because of how much it holds.
Grammar police.jpg grammar police 2.jpg

"I know that, and you know that, but the people who want these signs don't know that! I have tried doing them the correct way, but more often than not, the customer will complain and say it 'looks wrong' and will ask me to put the apostrophe in!"

This was in Ft. Lauderdale in around 1990, BTW.

Oh, I believe it. In the early 1980s I worked as a typesetter* here in Los Angeles at a print shop that mainly did menus. I was under orders to typeset verbatim, misspellings and all, including the dreaded misplaced possessive apostrophe (hamburger's! frie's! salad's!), because usually the client would get bent out of shape if their grammar or spelling was corrected.

As for the app - misspelling words as cutesy names for apps or websites was such a "thing" for a while - Flickr, Tumblr, Grindr, etc. - that I'm sort of not bothered by it. But then again, if I was searching the app store and two ukulele apps came up in my search, all other things being equal, I'd go for the one that was spelled properly.

*Oh gosh. Do people even know what a typesetter was?! Am I really that old?! :)

Oh, I believe it. In the early 1980s I worked as a typesetter* here in Los Angeles at a print shop that mainly did menus. I was under orders to typeset verbatim, misspellings and all, including the dreaded misplaced possessive apostrophe (hamburger's! frie's! salad's!), because usually the client would get bent out of shape if their grammar or spelling was corrected.

As for the app - misspelling words as cutesy names for apps or websites was such a "thing" for a while - Flickr, Tumblr, Grindr, etc. - that I'm sort of not bothered by it. But then again, if I was searching the app store and two ukulele apps came up in my search, all other things being equal, I'd go for the one that was spelled properly.

*Oh gosh. Do people even know what a typesetter was?! Am I really that old?! :)

Yes, yes we are.

English major here. My spelling is pretty good. I consider my grammar to be just fair. Go Rutgers! Go Columbia! My husband is a HS dropout, truck driver so I am used to bad spelling. We do crossword puzzles together and it's hilarious. I'm not mean spirited and he's not quick to take offense, so it works for us. I understand how spelling is confusing and I often tell him that part of the problem with bad spelling is not pronouncing words correctly. If you don't say it correctly, you won't spell it correctly. My pet peeve is when folks don't learn how to properly spell something that is a prominent part of their lives. One should learned how to spell what they do for a living ("trukdriver") or what they sell ("ukaleles").

Top Bottom