Thread: Crossrock 800 or Wait for Oahu Case?

Default Crossrock 800 or Wait for Oahu Case?

So based on the awesome reviews, I ordered the leather-covered fiberglass soprano case by Oahu from HMS. The inventory showed it in stock at the time, but two weeks later I got an email saying that was a mistake, that there were none in inventory, but they were expected in within the month. Today they told me it would be yet another month before the factory finishes the HMS order.

They've offered me a Crossrock 800 for $40. Should I take it? It seems like a great deal, but reviews are mixed on the Crossrock. Flimsy latches seem to be the biggest concern. It's ABS vs. Fiberglass, but I wouldn't be stowing it in airline cargo. It MIGHT go in the overhead or under the seat.

I was initially smitten with that elegant leather covered Oahu, but is it worth the significant price difference?
    Cocobolo Pineapple #1
    Ohana Sopranissimo
    Maccaferri Islander
    Harmony Soprano
    D. Heilman ULO #7 Concert
    Mainland Cedar Baritone
    Kala Elite Custom Lebanese Cedar Tenor
    Kanilea K-1 SC
    Bonanza Retro Mint Pear Tenor
    Druid Moon Koa Tenor
    Primrose Cedar/Maple Soprano
    Flea Lava Soprano

Cocobolo Cedar Top Tenor
    1933 Martin 1K Soprano

I have a Crossrock 800, and it's a good, sturdy case. I have never had problems with the latches, but then again, my ukes don't see hard duty-- being carried to acoustic jam sessions is probably the extent of it.

If simple protection is your goal, the Crossrock will do just fine. They aren't bad looking, but they are a bit plain. Still, they are more interesting looking that the standard black case that we used for a million years.

I have both cases. The Crossrock 800 is a tremendous value even at full price and more than adequate. Never had a problem with the latches.

The leather-covered Oahu case is definitely a step up in fit, finish and aesthetics. And compared to the Crossrock 1000, I think it's a very good value. I'm into bling, so I'd prefer the Oahu. But given the Crossrock is half price, that would be hard to pass up.

They fit entirely differently, so I'd be sure you let them know what uke is going in it and get their opinion on fit.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Thanks to both of you! I told them to send me the Crossrock.
    Cocobolo Pineapple #1
    Ohana Sopranissimo
    Maccaferri Islander
    Harmony Soprano
    Mainland Cedar Baritone
    Kanilea K-1 SC
    Druid Moon Koa Tenor
    Flea Lava Soprano

Cocobolo Cedar Top Tenor
    1933 Martin 1K Soprano

Crossrock 800 came today, and I'm happy to say that my Primrose soprano fits perfectly. It's a nice case, although the latches are a bit fiddly. I have to almost force them to make them close. No biggie. $40 bucks can't be beat, and HMS had it to me in two days! I do like the textured gray finish, which almost looks like a gray-blue tweed.
    Cocobolo Pineapple #1
    Ohana Sopranissimo
    Maccaferri Islander
    Harmony Soprano
    Mainland Cedar Baritone
    Kanilea K-1 SC
    Druid Moon Koa Tenor
    Flea Lava Soprano

Cocobolo Cedar Top Tenor
    1933 Martin 1K Soprano

I'm still waiting for the Oahu leather-topped fiberglass case in tenor in April...hopefully!

I have a Crossrock *900* case I'm going to compare with it. I liked the 900 over the 800 for many reasons--especially the sturdiness, weight and the "non-dragon tooth" style hinges. But the backpack style of the Oahu appeals to me. If I choose the Oahu, I'll put the 900 (never used, still with tags) up for sale...
    http://www.ukuleletonya.com

Lucky owner of two MooreBettah tenors and a Dominator tenor; don't ask about the ukuleles that burned in the Paradise fire, 2018--it'll just make me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioBelle View Post
    Crossrock 800 came today, and I'm happy to say that my Primrose soprano fits perfectly. It's a nice case, although the latches are a bit fiddly. I have to almost force them to make them close.
    I have a Crossrock 800 that I really like. It, too, had latches that didn't close easily, but I've found that over time,they're easier to use now. Either I've gotten stronger, LOL, or they've loosened up with use. Good reason to keep getting the ukulele out and playing it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    I have a Crossrock 800 that I really like. It, too, had latches that didn't close easily, but I've found that over time,they're easier to use now. Either I've gotten stronger, LOL, or they've loosened up with use. Good reason to keep getting the ukulele out and playing it. :-)
    Joyful, I'm thinking my latches are getting better already. I think it has to do with the aluminum flange all around the case. It seemed slightly out of shape at first, but is now conforming better. After a lot of opening and closing, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    I'm still waiting for the Oahu leather-topped fiberglass case in tenor in April...hopefully!
    I hope yours arrives next month, Tonya! I am absolutely certain it will be worth the wait. I'll probably end up buying one at some point, and will be depending on you to let us know how you like it.
    Cocobolo Pineapple #1
    Ohana Sopranissimo
    Maccaferri Islander
    Harmony Soprano
    Mainland Cedar Baritone
    Kanilea K-1 SC
    Druid Moon Koa Tenor
    Flea Lava Soprano