D tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.
The chord shapes are the same, but the chords they produce are two semi-tones higher. So the standard tuning C chord shape is a D chord, the standard tuning A chord shape is a B chord, and so on.

Benefits are a bit subjective and may include somewhat higher string tension, increased (perceived) volume, sweeter tone (less muddy), possibly better intonation due to higher tension. It really depends on the instrument. My vintage soprano sounds best in D tuning, by a mile, whereas the Black Bear sounds better in C tuning.

What I do recommend is to use strings designed for D tuning. It's commonly suggested to just use soprano strings and tune them up. My experience with that is that the tension gets too high (strangles the sound, may damage the instrument) and it sounds poor. I recommend the Aquila D tuning strings (33U is the product code), which are thinner than the regular C tuning strings and work really well for that tuning.

I recommend the Aquila D tuning strings (33U is the product code), which are thinner than the regular C tuning strings and work really well for that tuning.

Hi, movo!

We have several thickness sets in every guitar strings sets, eg. light gauge, medium gauge.. We can change strings tension and power by gauge diameter instead of changing tuning. Why don't you try thick strings on C tuning in order to get higher tension? In other word, why do you use thinner diameter for D tuning? You lost your string power on D.

I've seen posts on D tuning, with lots of love for that, especially on soprano. What are the benefits of that? Are all the chord shapes different when using D tuning?

Same shapes ,different chords.....GCEA.... 0003 is C ADF#B same position is D....ADF#B used to be the standard tuning . I have a tuition book published in the 30 s and still sold in the 70 s which teaches in ADF#B...

Why don't you try thick strings on C tuning in order to get higher tension? In other word, why do you use thinner diameter for D tuning? You lost your string power on D.

I tried regular C tuning strings (Living Water, Martin, Aquila 4U) for D tuning and the results were poor. There was too much tension and the instruments sounded strangled. Too much tension can kill the sound and the volume. I also believe the tension was so high that it was unhealthy for the bridge. The Aquila D tuning strings (33U) have slightly more tension than C tuning strings have in C tuning (on soprano), but less than C tuning strings have when they are tuned up to D. The thinner strings also give more clarity up the neck. You don't lose any power or sound by using strings designed for D tuning.

I have tried both my Cloud music and Bruko sopranos in both tunings simply tuning up using standard soprano strings (Living Water/Worth Clears) and found they both sounded fine in both tunings. I didn't get a sense of either too high tension or a strangled sound. I've settled for the Bruko in C tuning as it sounds naturally very bright and the Cloud Music in D tuning as it gives it a bit more zing. I've just not found it a major issue using "standard" soprano strings in D tuning. I've also tuned a Kala Soprano up to D tuning and it sounded just fine with standard soprano strings. I tuned it back down, though and passed it on to my granddaughter.

CeeJay referred to his 30s tutor book using D tuning as its standard. I also have a 30s tutor book that teaches using D tuning but they also say that you need to be prepared to retune for different songs and sheet music of that era would actually tell you which tuning to use and it's clear from the tutor book that you were expected to retune for different songs and as well as C and D tuning they would use Eb tuning, a semitone higher than D tuning (BbEbGC) which would increase the tension even more. Interestingly they recommended D & A violin strings as being much better quality than most strings sold as ukulele strings. This was in the days before the invention of nylon and other modern polymers when all that was available were gut strings.

If you are happiest with C tuning and don't like the higher tension that tuning up brings, you can always use a capo. Capo 2 will give you D tuning and Capo 3, Eb tuning. Using a capo is a good way of getting D tuning in the larger sizes where the tension on tuning up becomes much more of an issue.

I understand James Hill happily retuned his ukes if he feels the need for a different tuning during a gig.

Last edited:
Capo on 2 is a good solution. I'd been playing for years before I caught onto that one. Play a lot of fingerstyle stuff and it saves me having two different tuned ukes. I haven't come across Eb tunings so can't comment on it.

Very interesting...thanks all for the great info! Sounds like the capo at 2 gives you the D tuning, without the extra tension, but I assume some folks may prefer to tune up to D to also get the extra tension?

If you don't like the higher tension there are low tension strings available. Southcoast seem to have low tension sets available and Worth make a low tension set they are branded BL or CL depending on whether they are brown or clear. I'm sure Ken Middleton would make up a set for you. I'm not a great fan of high tension strings but as most standard soprano strings are relatively low tension anyway, I don't find tuning up on soprano increases the tension to an unacceptable degree but that's purely a personal view.

With such a short scale, using a capo in the second fret doesn't feel overly practical to me. It'll also sound differently than a D tuned soprano because the strings are even shorter, so there is less volume and sustain. Personally, and probably controversially, I feel that capos make sense with guitars, but not really with ukuleles (at least not with a soprano). But as with all things, nothing is a absolute and something may work for you that doesn't work for others, and vice visa. :)

Using Aquila 33U strings for D tuning side steps the tension issue.

I tend to agree with you about a capo on a soprano, more for practical reasons. As you say, the scale length is too short and I find it gets in the way of the left hand but it can be made to work if need be. Generally it's better to have two sopranos, one in C-tuning and one in D-tuning and sopranos are small enough to take two out if you play out. OTOH, it's not too difficult to retune, if need be and unlike Mivo I don't feel either the higher tension or the different tone is really a major problem. I actually have come to realise that we sometimes see problems with the tone of our instruments that actually aren't there. I have a tenor Fluke tuned dGBE and I felt that the G string tended to sound a bit dull but many people listening to me have made complimentary remarks about the tone of the instrument and that's made me realise we don't hear our instruments in the same way others do and maybe what we see as faults with the tone actually aren't faults at all they are just part of the character of the instrument. My message is that if you aren't too happy with a new tuning on a uke, before you dismiss it, try it out on others first. If you get positive feedback then maybe the tuning actually does sound fine and it's worth keeping.

I do like a capo on concert and tenor. I particularly like a capo on 2 on my six string tenor, it adds a brightness which I like for some songs. Capo works well on a baritone though capo 5 is pushing it a bit but is a useful quick fix to get GCEA, but much better on 3 and playing C-tuning shapes to get Bb is good.

Last edited:
mivo

When I want to increase string tension on my guitar with extra light goage, I change my strings to light goage or medium goage. I don't change the tuning. Why do you change your tuning from C to D instead of getting thicker strings in order to increase string tension?

Sent from the mobile client - Forum Talker

When I want to increase string tension on my guitar with extra light goage, I change my strings to light goage or medium goage. I don't change the tuning. Why do you change your tuning from C to D instead of getting thicker strings in order to increase string tension?

I prefer the sound of D tuning on at least two of my sopranos. I did not change to D tuning solely to get higher tension, but because the tuning (all aspects of it) makes these ukuleles sound much better to my ears. I also don't care for thick strings on ukuleles as they are more thuddy sounding to me (the third string in particular).

I find that very often songs have been transposed down to C major to make them easier to play, but can then be too low for my voice. A simple solution for me is to pick up a ukulele in D tuning, play it with the same chord shapes and voila!, both the uke and I sound happier!

Personally I keep three ukes, one in C, one in D and one in Eb so I can play and sing in whatever key I feel comfortable. To be honest though, D is so close to Eb, the Eb uke rarely comes out of its case. On one occasion I resorted to playing my sopranino in F when I couldn't be bothered to transpose a song to make it singable. If I were only allowed one ukulele, it'd be a soprano and I'd keep it in D tuning.

Worth noting that the Living Water soprano and concert strings are the same strings, so tuning up to D on a soprano will give you the concert ukulele tension on the soprano. I plan to give it a go in the next week or two.

On a different note, I've just put some Venezuelan cuatro strings on my baritone uke, tuned ADF#B with a low A and a low B. Sounds great strummed, sounds weird fingerpicked but I just need to adjust my patterns to get the best out of it. Although the scale length of a baritone uke and a cuatro are roughly the same, the cuatro strings are fairly low tension - I'm assuming cuatros are lightly built. My baritone is not lightly built so I feel with these strings it's lost a bit of oomph, but it's a tuning I'm really enjoying. If you like D tuning then could be fun to have a baritone like this and a soprano an octave higher!

I find that very often songs have been transposed down to C major to make them easier to play, but can then be too low for my voice. A simple solution for me is to pick up a ukulele in D tuning, play it with the same chord shapes and voila!, both the uke and I sound happier!

Personally I keep three ukes, one in C, one in D and one in Eb so I can play and sing in whatever key I feel comfortable. To be honest though, D is so close to Eb, the Eb uke rarely comes out of its case. On one occasion I resorted to playing my sopranino in F when I couldn't be bothered to transpose a song to make it singable. If I were only allowed one ukulele, it'd be a soprano and I'd keep it in D tuning.

This is what Ukers used to do back in the 50's through to when I lost interest in the 80's to other instruments. The new wave of ukers seem to take over and change things with a whole new (older and young) generation of players and a whole new generation of marketing men making extra special strings and pretending it wasn't just fishing line. I really do think that the whole uke movement has become overthought and maybe a little too ponderous.

It's starting to feel a bit like golf equipment. The best set of clubs does not make you the best player, it makes you a player with the best set of clubs.AS for all the other paraphenalia , well that's up to the individual,picks ,finger picks ,straps (my views are well known on these lol) and now arguing/discussing tuning.

Here's the thing , Jim has it right ,if you are playing accompaniment to sing long with on your own , then tune it to YOU . If you are wanting to try different keys , change the tuning or the uke for one in a D or Eb or whatever tuning. That is the ideal for the soprano uke . The picked strummed style that is the most popular in the UK . I think the simplicity has been thrown out with the baby and the bathwater and that for many is what the attraction of the uke was ....is ...and probably ever shall be ...Spock out.

This is what Ukers used to do back in the 50's through to when I lost interest in the 80's to other instruments. The new wave of ukers seem to take over and change things with a whole new (older and young) generation of players and a whole new generation of marketing men making extra special strings and pretending it wasn't just fishing line. I really do think that the whole uke movement has become overthought and maybe a little too ponderous.

It's starting to feel a bit like golf equipment. The best set of clubs does not make you the best player, it makes you a player with the best set of clubs.AS for all the other paraphenalia , well that's up to the individual,picks ,finger picks ,straps (my views are well known on these lol) and now arguing/discussing tuning.

Here's the thing , Jim has it right ,if you are playing accompaniment to sing long with on your own , then tune it to YOU . If you are wanting to try different keys , change the tuning or the uke for one in a D or Eb or whatever tuning. That is the ideal for the soprano uke . The picked strummed style that is the most popular in the UK . I think the simplicity has been thrown out with the baby and the bathwater and that for many is what the attraction of the uke was ....is ...and probably ever shall be ...Spock out.

I don't doubt for a second that there are legions of players out there who don't mess about with the technicalities of it all but just play in the way that suits them best. You're always going to find the people who like to tinker, try things, understand the physics of it all on forums though, for anything. The sort of enthusiast who will go on the forum is the sort who likes to go into the real detail of a hobby, people who like it simple will not find much of interest on these pages (they'll probably like the tabs, videos and marketplace though). It's more the nature of forum users, less the state of ukulele players as a whole. My sister plays, has her uke, likes it, nuff said. You won't find her here.

I don't doubt for a second that there are legions of players out there who don't mess about with the technicalities of it all but just play in the way that suits them best. You're always going to find the people who like to tinker, try things, understand the physics of it all on forums though, for anything. The sort of enthusiast who will go on the forum is the sort who likes to go into the real detail of a hobby, people who like it simple will not find much of interest on these pages (they'll probably like the tabs, videos and marketplace though). It's more the nature of forum users, less the state of ukulele players as a whole. My sister plays, has her uke, likes it, nuff said. You won't find her here.

True, each to their own and the similar...

Hi, CeeJay!

I think you don't need tuner. You can tune the pitch of ukulele how you hear the best.

upload images free

That's what we did as lads. Tune to My Bum Is Green and then to each others uke if playing in a group....of course if we were near the chapel we'd use the big black tuner with the ivory keys....lol no electronic tuners in the early 70s ...and pitch pipes are useful for just that ....pitching..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom